Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White

Coming October 7.. no details yet. Posted on Brooklyn Vegan.

Comments

It's the Jim White from Dirthy Three and Ben Boye worked with Will Oldham, so that's going to be something to look forward to (again).

does this guy ever stop making records? How many is that this year? 4? 5? I can't keep up anymore

• edited June 22 Posts: 648

@crayon said:
    does this guy ever stop making records? How many is that this year? 4? 5? I can't keep up anymore

My thoughts exactly. I've bought virtually everything Mark has done apart from the Dreams of Childhood thing. But he's just putting out so much. I'd rather he really take his time over say one release every year or two than just toss out countless releases incessantly. That said, I keep buying his music. But after the disaster that was 'Common. . .', its becoming harder to remain interested. Especially as in recent years we have lost the incentive of pre-ordering and getting the live albums, which he seems to have abandoned. Shipping costs outside of the US really do not seem worth pre-orders anymore.

http://www.caldoverderecords.com

Pre-order details up already

The song isn't any better than recent efforts (sample lyric: "trump trump trump trump trump"

• I enjoyed this song when I heard it live last month -- it had a lot more punch then. The recorded version just sounds sloppy, and I've had quite enough of that from Mark for the time being.

@klaher said:
    The song isn't any better than recent efforts (sample lyric: "trump trump trump trump trump"

Here we go YET AGAIN

• Do not care for the song at all but I'm interested in the interview with Tony Visconti. Hmmm...It's...at least something.

I'd take Mark "singing" about his colon over more Trump lyrics any day of the week

I love it. I am on listen #6

@klaher said:

A more appropriate sample lyric: "Oh fuck this shit is horrible"

This will probably come out on vinyl? I'm going stop preordering cd's that will be released months later on vinyl.

"There will still be demand for dry and wet Purina cat food." ugh.

I really like the music here, has some nice post-rock vibe.

Q: Is there anyone you would ever want to collaborate with?

A: I'm not a collaborator. I've shared the stage with a few people, sang a few songs.
    It's fun, but nothing I care to devote a lot of time to.

APRIL 2010 - interview with rob o' connor http://www.caldoverderecords.com/interview.htm

I wonder if it will be a different version of Astronomy.

Amazon.com says it will be 2 discs.
    Might be a mistake, or there will be a bonus disc maybe.
    $17.99 is actually a bit much for just one cd, I think.

Hey I don't wanna be a moany bollix but if The Black Butterfly is anything to go by just throw your money in the rubbish bin and you'll get more enjoyment out of it
    It's probably going to be a colossal pile of shit just like Yellow Kitchen was like a burst colostomy bag

• My verdict: it is what it is.
    In case you don't know what this is about, a new track has been posted:
    http://www.punchland.com/?post_type=post&p=80695

I don't get his aversion to singing over the past 2-3 years. There's live clips that prove his voice isn't shot yet. I don't mind this track too much as the instrumentation is very Dirty Three (shock horror) but like a lot of his recent output I'm left wishing it was just an instrumental track.

@dwah86 said:
    I don't get his aversion to singing over the past 2-3 years. There's live clips that prove his voice isn't shot yet. I don't mind this track too much as the instrumentation is very Dirty Three (shock horror) but like a lot of his recent output I'm left wishing it was just an instrumental track.

Completely agree about the instrumental bit.I just wonder what all these collaborators think of his "contributions"....aside from the fact that he OWNS the record label

makes me feel sleepy.

• @MrHanky said:
    Hey I don't wanna be a moany bollix but if The Black Butterfly is anything to go by just throw your money in the rubbish bin and you'll get more enjoyment out of it
    It's probably going to be a colossal pile of shit just like Yellow Kitchen was like a burst colostomy bag

Pretty much sums up what I think of Mark's output recently, particularly Common & Yellow Kitchen. I sold both on eBay and was happy to be rid of them & get some money back. My days of buying everything he puts out are over. Not sure I can even muster up enough energy to stream this one

• @MrHanky said:
    Completely agree about the instrumental bit.I just wonder what all these collaborators think of his "contributions"....aside from the fact that he OWNS the record label

Isn't he playing the guitar on this one? So that's also part of his contribution.

Cheers @klaher!

• Wow! At roughly 87 minutes it has to be two CDs. Some really great stuff there, with "Topo Gigio" the stand-out track, I'd say. MK channeling Mike Patton, sort of.

• Didn't like "House Cat," but the rest is surprisingly great. "Topo Gigio" is outstanding and "February Rain" shook me.

• edited September 26 Posts: 1,013

ahem.

• First impressions... Just finished February Rain. I'm worried that this album just stole the year from 'Common'. These three guys seem to have moments on every song where they sync up like they've been writing music together for years. Am I crazy, or are these harmonies and rhythms as tight and engaging as his best tracks? It gets pretty wild within the first few tracks but unlike Yellow Kitchen, it stays musical and cohesive throughout. OK, I'm gonna finish it and go through it again.