10/03/17 @ Old Town School of Folk, Chicago (Sun Kil Moon)

edited October 3 in Gig Reviews

This show features Magik Magik Orchestra, Steve Shelley on drums and Josh Haden on bass.

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

Comments

Expecting comments on Vegas and Tom Petty.

Order may be incorrect:

Somehow the Wonder of Life Prevails
    You Are Me and I Am You
    Micheline
    Astronomy
    Here Comes My Girl (cover)
    The Black Butterfly
    The Possum
    Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes
    Chili Lime Peanuts
    Early June Blues
    House Cat
    Needles Disney
    Window Sash Weights
    Exodus
    I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love

Also there was one new song. Might be called My Love for You Is Undying as that line was repeated.

• edited October 4 Posts: 1,024

Won’t have time for a detailed review for a while but if you have a chance to see this line up, take it. In addition to Steve Shelley on drums and Josh Haden on bass and backing vocals, the Magik Magik orchestra has a keyboard player/conductor/backing vocalist, an electric guitar player, and a three-piece string section (two violins and a cello). Some of the arrangements were staggeringly beautiful. Of course Somehow the Wonder was awesome, but even songs that hadn’t jumped out at me in the studio versions like Early June Blues shone with the lush and sympathetic arrangements. The string section takes a break for tougher tunes like Richard Ramirez.

• edited October 5 Posts: 1,013

Thank @KozFan for the review. New song came after Richard Ramirez, according to Zach on Twitter.

After the new song the order went:

House Cat
    Chili Lemon Peanuts
    Early June Blues
    Needles Disney
    Window Sash Weights

Encore:

Exodus
    I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love

• JRSJRS

Sounds like a good line up and a pretty good setlist too. Looking forward to the London gig in Nov now!

A little more about the show. Mark was wearing a black suit with a black shirt. He did not play any instruments. He was in an upbeat mood but didn’t talk as much as usual, perhaps because the songs were long and so many musicians were on stage.

He said he likes playing at the Old Town School because it is intimate and the people running it know what they are doing. Regarding the intimacy he commented that he could see what people were drinking at the tables bordering the stage. One table is splitting a six pack, one group has four glasses of wine each. He noted he had numerous beverages on stage including milk. Gotta have milk if you’re from Ohio.

Mark said he likes having Josh Haden on the tour because they are both 50. Josh then corrected that he is only 49. Mark said RHP crossed paths with Josh’s “much better band” Spain in the 90s.

Before Here Comes My Girl, Mark mentioned that Tom Petty had died and he actually wasn’t that familiar with his body of work, so asked the band to suggest some songs and someone suggested Refugee but he wasn’t feeling it. They tried a couple but he felt he could connect best with Here Comes My Girl. (That makes sense currently since the verses are pretty close to spoken word.)

Mark mentioned that in Orlando a guy was taking notes during the show and he said he finds it distracting and wishes people would do it only between songs. He joked that the guy was writing that Mark looks like he gained weight since the last show.

He had planned to perform God Bless Ohio but said that because it was kind of a downer that he wanted to skip it that night for more upbeat material. He was very complimentary of all the musicians. It was the first night with the string session and he had played with the guitarist only two times. He teased the crowd that this was just a warm-up show for the important show in New York, but then said at this point in his career he plays only where he wants to but always plays Chicago because he is always so well received here.

He added Exodus to the show as a tribute to the Vegas victims and performed it from memory because it hasn’t been planned as part of the set.

One more thing re Tom Petty. Mark saw him live when he was in seventh grade. He believed Petty had been opening for Tommy Tutone, but the band had assured him that it must have been the other way around. He sang the chorus 867-5309 a cappella a couple times.

And before Needles Disney he said many of his songs are autobiographical but have been somewhat altered for dramatic effect but every fucking word of Needles Disney is true.