10/07/17 @ Sinclair, Boston (Sun Kil Moon)

edited October 3 in Gig Reviews

This show features Magik Magik Orchestra, Steve Shelley on drums and Josh Haden on bass.

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

Comments

The selist was pretty consistent with what has been reported for recent shows, with some exceptions. The band was fantastic, and in particular the pianist who basically conducted the string section. The acoustics were terrific in the room. All told, the conditions were basically optimal.

However, Mark seemed grumpy and his efforts at humor were off by a beat. The room was certainly not full and the energy was not always high.

In my view, Mark has created some amazing material over the last 12 months, including his most recent release just days ago. Common, however, is not to my liking for the most part and I was disappointed by the heavy reliance on that material. All told, this was far from my dream set list.

Nonetheless, I would describe the first 60% of the show as basically outstanding. Astronomy was great and Dogs got the best audience response. God Bless Ohio, which I generally find to be long and tedious, was enlivened by the interesting instrumental touches from the band.

My Love for You is Undying basically drained the momentum and led me to soon call it a night after close to three hours of standing since we had arrived. The song was probably 20 minutes long. It included a very lengthy recounting of an odd, and probably mostly fictional, encounter San Francisco bookstore that to my ears was far less funny than it was intended to be.

The night's biggest surprise was Mark playing guitar on a solo version of Husker Du's Celebrated Summer in honor of Grant Hart. But this didn't work all that well as a result of him not knowing the lyrics and it was also odd to have him play a Bob Mould composition in honor of Grant. This mainly suggested to me that he is not familiar with their canon at all.

All told, the evening had many outstanding points, but was inconsistent and ultimately a bit exhausting. But I would be remiss not to note that Mark remains an incredibly dynamic force in person, and capable of tremendous emotional power as a live performer.

• This mainly suggested to me that he is not familiar with their canon at all.

Big call.
    "We listened to Hüsker Dü's 'Candy Apple Grey' and 'Warehouse Songs & Stories' so many times that my ears bled."
    -- "Sally", from Jesu/Sun Kil Moon

This mainly suggested to me that he is not familiar with their canon at all.

Big call.
    "We listened to Hüsker Dü's 'Candy Apple Grey' and 'Warehouse Songs & Stories' so many times that my ears bled."
    -- "Sally", from Jesu/Sun Kil Moon

True, he also name checks Bob/Husker Du in the coda of "It's My First Day." All I'm saying, though, is that it's not a completely fitting tribute to Grant to play a signature Bob Mould composition, particularly since Bob and Grant were so estranged. There are so many Grant Hart compositions he could have played.

At the end of the day, Mark Kozalek marches to his own drummer and we're lucky to have him whatever he does.

Hi, I just made an account to counter this argument that Mark didn't honor Grant properly because it wasn't a Grant Hart composition. I believe you are looking far too deep into this. Mark's cover of Celebrated Summer wasn't at random, it was a track he already knew because he covered this song on The Finally LP. I felt it was a fitting tribute aside from the context brought up. Also, this show was stunning. I'm glad I was able to see SKM and the Magik Magik Orchestra in the same setting. There was awesome chemistry between the members. Especially since they had all met up for the first time a day or two before. I can tell when people are not used to his banter and the general manner in which he conducts himself at a live gig. Mark's music and live performance are about just being there and watching him do his thing. If you don't like it, I am not sure that he cares, haha.

Hey I was a huge fan of Husker Du&especially Grant Hart so to play a Mouldy Bawwwb song as a tribute is bad enough but then to forget the words....5/10 mins on Google and he could have gotten the lyrics and written them down

Really doesn't give a flying fuck

Needless to say I agree with Mr. Hanky. Truly, Mark is my favorite living artist, followed by, ironically, Bob Mould. But it's sort of like saying you are doing a tribute to John Lennon and then playing Blackbird.

And as for Mark not caring what I think, I'm certain he is taking meaningful stock of my remarks and will soon mention me in a song.

@Alex312 said:
    But it's sort of like saying you are doing a tribute to John Lennon and then playing Blackbird

Hear hear but I actually like Bob too but not as much as the late great Grant Hart

Imagine Mark playing I'm Never Talking to You Again. Wow.

@MrHanky said:

@Alex312 said:
    But it's sort of like saying you are doing a tribute to John Lennon and then playing Blackbird

Hear hear but I actually like Bob too but not as much as the late great Grant Hart

• just a small point - he played 'Celebrated Summer' at a number of gigs I went to in 2004 and in the years that followed GoTGH i think he's familiar with Husker Du ... Maybe forgot the lyrics (haha!)

• JRSJRS

@we_listened_low said:
    just a small point - he played 'Celebrated Summer' at a number of gigs I went to in 2004 and in the years that followed GoTGH i think he's familiar with Husker Du ... Maybe forgot the lyrics (haha!)

Welcome we_listened_low (to Casey Kasem’s radio show). Guessing that’s where u got the name?!