Mark Kozelek with Donny McCaslin and Jim White

JRSJRS
edited August 2018 in Mark Kozelek

New Release: Mark Kozelek with Donny McCaslin and Jim White

Release date March 2, 2019
(Caldo Verde Records)

Recorded at Hyde Street Studios, San Francisco, February 2018 through August 2018

Track list:
1. Coyote
2. Day In America
3. L-48
4. Couch Potato
5. Cows
6. I'm Not Laughing At You
7. Bay of Kotor

The front cover has a photo of a cat. This info taken from sunkilmoon.com

Comments

• JRSJRS

Donny McCaslin in action;

Hmmmm jazz. Nice.

• WDSWDS

Excited about this one. I loved last year's Jim White collaboration. Sad it's only 7 tracks though. I know they'll be long tracks but God knows any new Kozelek release comes loaded with a few unredeemable stinkers packed into it that need flushing

BAY OF KOTOR!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCIted that this one gets a studio release. Praise be to God. This will be a fantastic album, I write it in my calendar already with a big smile. We are lucky.

is this new? feel there was an album announced a while ago with day in america when in what released

@g0019 said:
    is this new? feel there was an album announced a while ago with day in america when in what released

It was -- this just comes with the tracklist, album artwork, release date.

I wish it was Jim White of Searching For The Wrong-eyed Jesus fame
    Now there’s a man who can tell a story & who played Upstairs in Whelans Dublin last night

• @MrHanky said:
    I wish it was Jim White of Searching For The Wrong-eyed Jesus fame
    Now there’s a man who can tell a story & who played Upstairs in Whelans Dublin last night

What a great album that is!

I wish it was Jim White of Sky Sports News fame

• The Opener has been released on Spotify today.

• Mark Kozelek broughout Donny at his show in Brooklyn on Friday. They played a track off of this album. It was phenomenal, really excited for this project.

the day before Marks plays Amsterdam Donny is having a show in Amsterdam as well.

• WDSWDS

@SuitedUPmon said:
    Mark Kozelek broughout Donny at his show in Brooklyn on Friday. They played a track off of this album. It was phenomenal, really excited for this project.

I am too - it took me a while to realise it but his last as a 3 piece was sensational (at least to me). I think this has the potential to be as good (even better? we can pray...).

• JRSJRS

Seems this has now become another Sun Kil Moon album!

From CV - New Release: Sun Kil Moon: I Also Want to Die in New Orleans

• Ha, I guess this is due to how TIMD bombed! Seems he wants to have a new SKM release out asap.

• TIMD will be viewed differently in time. Like 'Death of a Ladies Man' by Leonard Cohen. An uneven but at points brilliant piece of work.

• WDSWDS

This title change is so weird.

I also think it can't be an error that MK is only listed as the lyric writer on TIMD. He said the songs were written extremely quickly so I assume he just bashed the lyrics out and the musicians near-improvised. This new album only lists MK as the final music writer (and it's not alphabetical so presumably it's in order of level of contribution??) but at least he's on there. It's also encouraging that this was written over a longer period so hopefully wasn't "pulled out of my ass" as he admitted TIMD was in Berlin.

• @WDS said:

I also think it can't be an error that MK is only listed as the lyric writer on TIMD. He said the songs were written extremely quickly so I assume he just bashed the lyrics out and the musicians near-improvised. This new album only lists MK as the final music writer (and it's not alphabetical so presumably it's in order of level of contribution??) but at least he's on there. It's also encouraging that this was written over a longer period so hopefully wasn't "pulled out of my ass" as he admitted TIMD was in Berlin.

It looks kinda like what he did with 30 Seconds, music writing wise. I'm willing to bet that the first six tracks are written by Jim White and McCaslin mostly, whereas Bay Of Kotor is written entirely by him, because you can look up performances of it online and it's clear as day he wrote the music, it just has that Kozelek feel to it.

@gustavostillsnash said:
    TIMD will be viewed differently in time. Like 'Death of a Ladies Man' by Leonard Cohen. An uneven but at points brilliant piece of work.

Is this a joke?

• WDSWDS
    edited November 2018 Posts: 68

@WinterCity said:

@WDS said:

It looks kinda like what he did with 30 Seconds, music writing wise. I'm willing to bet that the first six tracks are written by Jim White and McCaslin mostly, whereas Bay Of Kotor is written entirely by him, because you can look up performances of it online and it's clear as day he wrote the music, it just has that Kozelek feel to it.

This is kind of distressing. Has he really become so disinterested in music (as opposed to lyrics?) What a waste of his talent.

I also have to wonder what Danny and Jim think of their names being taken off equal billing? They've kind of been subsumed into Kozelek's band, with this announcement. Kinda reminds me of what happened when he told Jimmy Lavelle that he wasn't welcome on their tour of their record. Hope there's no bad blood.

• @crayon said:

@gustavostillsnash said:
    TIMD will be viewed differently in time. Like 'Death of a Ladies Man' by Leonard Cohen. An uneven but at points brilliant piece of work.

Is this a joke?

Not at all!

@WDS said:

seems to a reference to the recent suicideboys album lol. mark posted a picture of a poster advertising the album on his photo blog so maybe that's what gave him the idea

• WDSWDS

@g0019 said:

@WDS said:

seems to a reference to the recent suicideboys album lol. mark posted a picture of a poster advertising the album on his photo blog so maybe that's what gave him the idea

Interesting, thank you

• He talks about this during the Vienna show. Don't have the exact TC at hand, though. But you can check the Vid in the other thread.

• In Berlin he talked about the Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White album not being well received. The album didn't sell much and they didn't even get many reviews. He was sad about that because they were very proud of that record. Maybe the Sun Kil Moon moniker just gets more attention and sales. Then again I don't know why he released the self-titled one as it is. It's essentially an Admiral Fell Promises mixed with his "old-man-yelling-at-clouds" songwriting style.

• edited December 2018 Posts: 3

@DonaldDuckKooKim said:
    In Berlin he talked about the Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White album not being well received. The album didn't sell much and they didn't even get many reviews. He was sad about that because they were very proud of that record.

That's real bad. The Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White album is the first one I heard by him and I still consider it his best. Love the jazzy vibe of it and I adore the opening track. It might be a top five song of all time for me, since I am a political junkie and a cat lover. Really looking forward to this one with Donny McCaslin.