Comments

• WDSWDS

Two weeks from release and no stream? Doesn't this usually come up now? Or is it one week in advance?

Digital release date is March 1. But that is for purchase I assume.

http://www.caldoverderecords.com

• Could be free streaming and Apple Music, Spotify and such.

• First listen - not bad. Running time 89 mins over the 7 tracks. 'I'm Not Laughing at You' is the immediate standout.

• How are you listening?!

• @admiralfellpromises said:
    How are you listening?!

Managed to get it early, I think I would get in trouble if I shared it...

'Bay of Kotor' has another bit added on from the version from Montenegro and the arrangement is different... slightly disappointed as I loved that version but keeping an open mind for a few more listens.

'I'm Not Laughing at You' is also quite a different arrangement from the version played in the autumn with Ben and Ramon. Donnie's sax is absolutely fucking amazing...

'Couch Potato' is likely going to be the one that pisses people off (if they're bothered) as he takes aim at familiar targets. The last half of the song is pretty great.

Still sinking in though. Some of it sounds a little undercooked but some of it is top drawer. Musically it has most in common with the Ben Boye/Jim White record understandably, there are some really interesting things going on.

• WDSWDS
    edited February 24 Posts: 80

Hey thanks for this, gustvaostillsnash. Despite everything, I am excited for Friday. I enjoyed 'I'm Not Laughing...' live. Can't wait to hear it with added sax.

You enjoyed TIMD, didn't you? How does this compare?

• @WDS said:
    Hey thanks for this, gustvaostillsnash. Despite everything, I am excited for Friday. I enjoyed 'I'm Not Laughing...' live. Can't wait to hear it with added sax.

Hello! Yep it was one of my favourites live too, it sounds completely different now though. Really amazing stuff.

I'm gonna say it's better than TIMD. I'm still forming my opinion on it though, listened through about four times now. Some of the textures they create are really great and noticing different things each time where I thought it was maybe a little undercooked. Donnie's sax is used sparingly which I think is a nice touch.

However, if you don't like the rambly long stories I think you might be disappointed. I mean, 'Bay of Kotor' is 23 minutes.

• WDSWDS
    edited February 25 Posts: 80

@gustavostillsnash said:

@WDS said:

Hello! Yep it was one of my favourites live too, it sounds completely different now though. Really amazing stuff.

I'm gonna say it's better than TIMD. I'm still forming my opinion on it though, listened through about four times now. Some of the textures they create are really great and noticing different things each time where I thought it was maybe a little undercooked. Donnie's sax is used sparingly which I think is a nice touch.

However, if you don't like the rambly long stories I think you might be disappointed. I mean, 'Bay of Kotor' is 23 minutes.

I've nothing against long and rambly (I'm one of those psycho's who prefers post Benji to pre) but I do have something against undercooked! I was not impressed with TIMD but loved lots on Kozelek, Boyes, White. I just like some melody with my long and rambly, that's all. I'm hoping there are at least a couple of solid tunes on this.

Any more notes and observations as it sinks in greatly appreciated!

• @WDS said:

@gustavostillsnash said:

@WDS said:

I've nothing against long and rambly (I'm one of those psycho's who prefers post Benji to pre) but I do have something against undercooked! I was not impressed with TIMD but loved lots on Kozelek, Boyes, White. I just like some melody with my long and rambly, that's all. I'm hoping there are at least a couple of solid tunes on this.

Any more notes and observations as it sinks in greatly appreciated!

I am also one of these 'psycho's' you speak of! I think you'll like this record based on what you've said. I think it's less undercooked, more just subtle the more I hear it. Hope you enjoy.

I don’t remember anyone calling admirers of Mark’s recent output psychos. It’s just a matter of taste, which differs.

• WDSWDS

I was only joking about the psychos

• edited February 25 Posts: 72

I'm willing to give "new" style Koz stuff another crack. Can anybody put, in chronological order, all his releases since Universal Themes? So the Mark Kozelek-branded stuff, the Sun Kil Moon-branded stuff, and all the collabs? There's been so much in the past 4 years it's a bit confusing...

• @WDS said:
    I was only joking about the psychos

Oh same absolutely!

Sorry old and clueless.

• @dwah86 said:
    I'm willing to give "new" style Koz stuff another crack. Can anybody put, in chronological order, all his releases since Universal Themes? So the Mark Kozelek-branded stuff, the Sun Kil Moon-branded stuff, and all the collabs? There's been so much in the past 4 years it's a bit confusing...

So there's:

Down in the Willow Garden
    Dreams of Childhood (with Nicolas Pauls)
    Jesu/Sun Kil Moon
    Mark Kozelek Sings Favourites
    Night Talks EP
    Common As Light And Love Are Red Valleys of Blood
    30 Seconds Until the Decline of Planet Earth (with Jesu)
    Mark Kozelek, Ben Boye and Jim White
    Yellow Kitchen (with Sean Yeaton)
    Live in Chicago (with Magic Magic Orchestra)*
    Mark Kozelek
    This Is My Dinner
    I Also Want to Die in New Orleans

Fuck that's a lot.

*If anyone has a way they can send me this online I've still not managed to get it, didn't come with the t shirt I bought.

• WDSWDS

@KozFan said:
    Sorry old and clueless.

Ha ha, me too.

• JRSJRS

I’ve had a couple of listens through this now and must say that I’m pretty impressed. Love the jazz noodling and laid back delivery. Also some really interesting and amusing tales recounted. Yep, I’d recommend this one...

• WDSWDS

I am too. I much prefer his non-electronic work. More of this please Koz!

• edited March 18 Posts: 1,185

Mine shipped so it looks like they are well ahead of the April 12 CD date.

• WDSWDS

I love this album. His best for ages.

Favorable review