Mark's live solo CDs

edited October 2012 in Mark Kozelek

Which is your favourite? I think Lost Verses is mine, its virtually flawless as far as sound quality goes and the song selection is great. I love Union Chapel for Mark's playing. Belfast is great, partly for me as Tonight In Bilbao was from the Manchester show I was at, which was the first time I heard the song and I was spellbound by it. White Christmas is special as it was his first one and contains some great performances. Find Me Ruben Olivares looks like a great set on paper but its let down by sound quality. Little Drummer Boy is excellent but I feel it trails off towards the end of disc 2. Only played Lincoln Hall a couple of times but enjoying it so far. Looking forward to Copenhagen arriving in the post.

Comments

• JRSJRS

Sodra / Union Chapel probably, I love the special vinyl copy that I have.

LDB was the first one that I got so I guess that's up there for me. It's a nice album to drive to. Just not late at night....

My vote is for "7 Songs Belfast", followed by "Lost Verses-Live". Michigan and especially River really shine on "Belfast". Lucky Man is my favorite on "Lost Verses".

• That version of Lucky Man is a favourite of mine, better than the album version. I love the electric sludgey guitars on the original River so wasn't sure I'd like a solo version but it works very well I think. Belfast is short but sweet. It could have been longer but you can't have everything. The quality of the material makes up for it anyway. Again I say that I love the live CDs Mark puts out but I'd like just a bit more variety in song selection, there's a lot of overlapping and duplication of certain songs during these releases.

What songs would you like to hear that he is yet to put out on a live disc? Brockwell Park was one of mine but that is on the way now :) If he could do Down Through, Medicine Bottle, Rollercoaster, Songs For a Blue Guitar and Brown Eyes then I could die a happy man

• By the way if anyone has a spare '7 Songs Belfast' CD please give me a shout as I missed out on it at the time. I watch Caldo Verde like a hawk now so I don't miss such releases. I downloaded it from there but would love a physical copy. Thanks!

• I've always really enjoyed Little Drummer Boy Live.

I used to enjoy a bootleg copy of Mark's '03 Great American Music Hall gig in Frisco, though unfortunately I've somehow lost those files over the years...

sad face

• edited November 2012 Posts: 728

never really thought about it until recently, but the Koz has been quite prolific with his live releases thru Caldo Verde over the past 6 years...

I'd love to see another vinyl box set similar to the White Christmas/Little Drummer Boy release, with all the live albums he's put out since then:

7 Songs Belfast (2008)
    Find Me, Ruben Olivares – Live in Spain (2009)
    Lost Verses – Live (2009)
    Live at Union Chapel & Södra Teatern (2011)
    Live at Lincoln Hall (2012)
    Live in Copenhagen (2012)
    Live At Phoenix Public House Melbourne (2013)

that's nearly 100 tunes worth of live Koz!

similarly, it'd also be nice to see a b-sides/covers vinyl box set featuring his Caldo Verde EP/LP releases:

Nights LP (2008)
    Finally LP (2008)
    I'll Be There EP (2010)
    Like Rats (2013)

that's nearly 50 tunes worth!

while I already own the majority of these releases digitally, I'd love to have the physical copies all in 2 concise box sets. Mark already owns all the distribution rights, so it probably wouldn't cost too much extra to put a limited box set release together.

Ryan Adams released a limited vinyl box set earlier this year (Live After Deaf) thru his label Pax AM, sporting numerous recorded solo sets from his recent UK tours. it featured 15 records/144 tunes + 74 additional digital tracks.

it's a sheer delight.

I think the Koz could have success in that route as well.

• Whats with the recent lack of live Koz CDs? I didn't pre-order UT, partly because I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it and partly because there were no 'extras' from CV pre-orders for its release. Virtually all of the pre-orders for new Koz releases in recent years have secured you a live CD, but this has been a long gap without any, since The Kids.

• @Thunderbolt i mean, it's almost definitely because he's doing fewer solo shows these days, not to mention the setlists have all been pretty similar (even moreso than before) for the post-Benji shows

• @Thunderbolt said:

Whats with the recent lack of live Koz CDs? I didn't pre-order UT, partly because I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it and partly because there were no 'extras' from CV pre-orders for its release. Virtually all of the pre-orders for new Koz releases in recent years have secured you a live CD, but this has been a long gap without any, since The Kids.

My thoughts exactly. Bought it in my local record store whereas if there was a live cd I definitely would have ordered from the website. Always enjoy his live CDs. Even if there is way too much talking on 'The Kids'. I enjoyed it the first time but having the chatter at the start of the track is pretty annoying.

Always have and will continue to have soft spot for 7 Songs Belfast as was at the gig in question....well bar one song

• edited September 2015 Posts: 658

@MrHanky - Me too, I was at the gig in question. . . Well, bar 6 songs !

So, no live CDs since The Kids in 2014. Mark went from releasing them somewhat frequently to stopping them altogether. Is this because he'd have to pay the other musicians? Surely a new live CD is well overdue.

• JRSJRS

I'm no expert but perhaps the full band studio mastering would be too prohibitive from both a time and financial perspective? It's a shame that we haven't had one though...

Maybe he got tired of people complaining that it was the same core group of songs over and over. Although recent tours have focused on the new material.

Haha! I am 'guilty' of commenting on getting the same songs many times on the live CDs but it's so long since he put one out that any live versions he puts out now would be new to us

• I'd love to get a solo Biko style gig featuring all/most of the songs from Universal Themes, re-interpreted for Mark on his nylon-string guitar.

Actually I'd love to get any decent live gig featuring UT tracks. I've got a few bootlegs (thanks to the kind folks here pointing the way), but nothing with more than 1 or 2 UT songs with reasonable sound quality.

I've not even been able to find much on Youtube, apart from the awful version of Indian, that Mark did with just a single gutarist (Neil Halstead?) at some Scandinavian festival.

Also there's not much footage from the SKM/Jesu tour either. That's a shame as the bits I have heard sound much better than the album versions.

It looks like the only solo show he's doing all year is Rapid City, SD in October, so mmmaybe we'll get a live recording of this one? Always fun when Mark is on his own :-)

• JRSJRS

Lost Verses Live has worked its way back to the top of my favourite MK live album list. I found an interesting review here; https://www.popmatters.com/109351-mark-kozelek-lost-verses-live-2496065875.html

Good bump. I love my collection of live Mark stuff. Not sure I want to order his latest album just to get the new 'free' (not exactly free when you consider shipping to U.K.) live CD but they all appear on eBay at some point so I may wait.

Lost Verses is a classic. Live at Union Chapel great too. One of the live albums I play the most is the 'On Tour: a documentary, the soundtrack' one. But I made a playlist and removed all the studio tracks which don't really need to be there. So just the live songs and the hotel pieces etc. Works really well and is an awesome set

• JRSJRS

@Thunderbolt said:
    Good bump. I love my collection of live Mark stuff. Not sure I want to order his latest album just to get the new 'free' (not exactly free when you consider shipping to U.K.) live CD but they all appear on eBay at some point so I may wait.

Lost Verses is a classic. Live at Union Chapel great too. One of the live albums I play the most is the 'On Tour: a documentary, the soundtrack' one. But I made a playlist and removed all the studio tracks which don't really need to be there. So just the live songs and the hotel pieces etc. Works really well and is an awesome set

Good one re On Tour will have to do that myself.

• I'm gonna be first in the queue to buy any old shite I neither want nor have, just to get the live Magik*Magik Chicago recording!

Furthermore, I'd be not dissatisfied if the CD was so faulty it only plays that devastatingly beautiful version of Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails ... though ideally I need to have that version of Astronomy too. And the rest, thinking about it.

Mark has never released a live album I don't love. Knowing this one is coming will get me through a messy Christmas. I hope December passes very quickly...

• JRSJRS

@mojofilters said:
    I'm gonna be first in the queue to buy any old shite I neither want nor have, just to get the live Magik*Magik Chicago recording!

Furthermore, I'd be not dissatisfied if the CD was so faulty it only plays that devastatingly beautiful version of Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails ... though ideally I need to have that version of Astronomy too. And the rest, thinking about it.

Mark has never released a live album I don't love. Knowing this one is coming will get me through a messy Christmas. I hope December passes very quickly...

Well last time I checked you can still buy the AFP cover tour poster from CV if you don’t want any music...

• Thanks for the tip. I guess I've never even bothered looking past the t-shirt dept before, since anything remotely good is inevitably not in stock.

Does the merch Mark carries to sell on tour not appear on the site, or does he just have the same items showing there? Seems odd not having any Sun Kil Moon shirts, though the America's Most Wanted looks OK.

Saw Mark 7 times but never found any merch on tour :(

• JRSJRS

I’ve found merch on sale on at least 3 of the 13 shows I’ve been to. I even picked up a nights of passed over book at one in 2008, lucky me!

He's been known to sell the live CDs from the merch table, even the ones that are 'out of print' on his site.