Jesu/Sun Kil Moon: 30 Seconds To The Decline Of Planet Earth

and here we go !!! yeepee !!!

Jesu/Sun Kil Moon:
30 Seconds To The Decline Of Planet Earth

Release Date: June 1, 2017 - Caldo Verde Records

Listen to "He's Bad" now » http://www.sunkilmoon.com/hesbad/

Comments

Lovely music. The lyrics seem a bit forced, though, aiming too hard at controversy.

• Well, that was interesting.

A track available for an album that won't be released for best part of a year is unusual but hey when did Mark ever play by the rules?

• edited July 2016 Posts: 72

"Blah blah blah blah blah blah-blah"

• Mark Kozelek, 2016
  • Wow, that was really harsh and super shitty....

• edited July 2016 Posts: 380

I liked the music and Mark actually singing again. Don't know about the lyrics. Half of me appreciates Mark's honesty while the other half thinks he's trying hard to be #edgy.

• Pretty dramatic shift from a guy who covered I'll Be There?

Too much swearing for me ;-) I agree with you, Drop.

a song slagging off michael jackson haha. hope there are some more heavy songs on this one. liked a few off the debut

• Wow, this song is absolutely horrible. How low can this dude go?

• hahaha omfg i dont even know how to handle this

• i really like god bless ohio, and i defended UT and the Jesu/SKM album and thought they were both pretty good. but guys, this is TERRIBLE

This song doesn't have any Jesu in it. I like God Bless Ohio and most tracks of the previous Jesu/SKM album, but I can live without He's Bad.

Ha ha ha ha.

Shite.

"He's Bad and he's dead and I'm glad." Christ. Whether it's deliberately provocative or ironic or whatever, that's rubbish.

• @mcmaurice said:
    This song doesn't have any Jesu in it. I like God Bless Ohio and most tracks of the previous Jesu/SKM album, but I can live without He's Bad.

oh no, i think the music's totally JKB, for sure. the soft JESU side. what strikes me is how we're surely going to another controversy with this one. p4k already quoted the best parts... to me, it's kinda sad that one of my absolute favorite mark's songs is the "i'll be there" cover which is so tender and pure - a great tribute - and then a few years later it sounds like his whole opinion was wholly changed right after hearing the breaking news. but if i'm not mistaken, mk still pays his respects to the artist - not the man. and that makes sense.

i do love the "blabla", it's catchy as fuck !

Everyone has known MJ was a disturbed individual for a long time. Remember all the child actors he squired around? There is an effort to rehabilitate his image by certain prominent African Americans and this may be a response to that. There was a recent Spike Lee documentary about Off the Wall where Kobe Bryant and other prominent celebrities sing MJ's praises as some sort of hero.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 109

It's made me think, I'll say that much for it. Firstly, about Michael Jackson. My take on MJ has always been that was, in effect, castrated in his youth, chemically if not physically. I'm not exactly sure what the story was, but it would make all sorts of sense if it resulted from the diabolical actions of a father who was terrified that the Jackson Five gravy train would shudder to a halt when Michael's voice broke - which, sure enough, it never did. Under the circumstances, Michael couldn't fail to have grown up to be fucked up sexually and psychologically. I can buy Mark's line that at the end of the day he's responsible for his actions, but I shudder a little when he mocks him for sounding like "a nine year old girl".

Secondly, it's made me think about Mark. His attack on MJ mocks liberal attitudes to criminality, invokes God, and would have gone down pretty well at the Republican convention. One of the things that fascinates me about Mark is the tension between his blue-collar upbringing and the milieu of class privilege that he's settled into as a reasonably successful independent musician. I've often found cause to wonder what his politics are, because he appears to be a blank page on that subject, to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge.

• Great to hear Mark being so topical. I hear he has a track about the Menendez brothers coming up next. Mark has become Wesley Willis. I said it before - but really, check it out:

• edited July 2016 Posts: 240

Also, sounds like tuning is optional now?

• it's tuned ! jkb style !

@Sergei_Walankov said:
    I've often found cause to wonder what his politics are, because he appears to be a blank page on that subject, to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge.

I'm willing to bet he's a moderate right wing republican. More John Kaisch supporter than Ted Cruz though. I bet he hates Trump though, but many Republicans do so no surprise there. I was hoping Kaisch would do better, if only for getting thrown out of a Pearl Jam concert.

I wonder if JKB had any idea as to the lyrics before he wrote the music for it...

The separation between the artist and the person is what saves most artist's repertoire once their private lives are made public. I can still listen to IkeTurner because he doesn't sing about wife beating, to PIL because John Lydon doesn't sing about women learning to let a man talk, to Moz because his songs don't mention voting for Ukip. These people might be dicks or even menaces to their loved ones, for some reason that never seeped into their creation. Same goes for MJ's music, even if that guy was a pervert and a predator.

But the same can't be said of Kozelek's oeuvre which he now constantly uses as a vehicule for expressing his dumbass opinions.

• We are the ones who make a brighter day so let's like, y'know, start giving.

It's get worse the more you play it.

• Try doing the moonwalk when the chorus kicks in - it just about works, especially if you wear one white glove.

• I always thought Michael Jackson sucked too. I never cared for his music. Don't know how people could cry over a "child molester." I just hate how our society works. Roman Polansky sleeps with a girl at a party with a fake ID and gets blacklisted. And this pervert dies and CNN has stop everything to show his funeral. Good riddance.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 217

His death does put an end to what might have been his crimes but never in his lifetime was he made to face his responsibilities. In my opinion, in terms of justice, his death is a clear loss.

That song is absolute rubbish.

• Speaking of Roman Polanski, just the other day I bought his film, "The Tenant." In case anybody hasn't seen it, it's a pretty good little creepy movie.

• I became a believer
    When he wrote Cat Scratch Fever
    But when he said he loved his gun
    He wasn't so much fun.

See? Anyone can write great lyrics about controversial Americans.