07/21/18 @ SeaRock Festival, Kotor, Montenegro (Sun Kil Moon)

edited August 5 in Gig Reviews

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here. Found this on the internets..

Comments

Time to make a fool out of myself, but... from 5:00 onwards for a little while is the best bit of singing and music I have heard from Mark for quite a time. I sat bolt upright and started crying. His voice still has such a quality, cannot be replicated. Pre 5:00 good also. I hate the talkers.

Spain put out a live album recently where the talkers were out of control. It’s a quiet band, show some respect.

Has anyone heard Mark do anything this unbelievable lately? Will it be on an album, do you think? I need a version without all the talking. This is inhumanely beautiful, I have been listening for about 6 hours.

• This is gorgeous!

• JRSJRS

Nice! Can’t wait to hear this recorded (or live in Oct fingers crossed!) It’s funny how people seemingly pick up on Mark looking so miserable all the time when actually he isn’t.

I know I seem to have just lost it (whatever ‘it’ is) when it comes to Mark’s music but to ME this just sounds completely half assed and tossed off (literally and metaphorically) like he really is musically constipated ie. he just doesn’t give a shit anymore

@MrHanky said:
    I know I seem to have just lost it (whatever ‘it’ is) when it comes to Mark’s music but to ME this just sounds completely half assed and tossed off (literally and metaphorically) like he really is musically constipated ie. he just doesn’t give a shit anymore

ME, I find this completely inappropriate. It isn't just me saying this is gorgeous, and people I have shown it to who don't know Koz at all have been amazed, held my hands while crying. Have you considered you just don't get it? I know it's a sin to dare say anyone doesn't get something in 2018, but these are not the lyrics of a man who does not give a shit.

• edited July 31 Posts: 31

@moleman said:
    ME, I find this completely inappropriate. It isn't just me saying this is gorgeous, and people I >have shown it to who don't know Koz at all have been amazed, held my hands while crying. >Have you considered you just don't get it? I know it's a sin to dare say anyone doesn't get >something in 2018, but these are not the lyrics of a man who does not give a shit.

As someone who is a fan of Mark's recent output, I can agree with Mr. Hanky and say that this doesn't resonate with me at all. He's talking about some skinny ass cats, a hotel worker who thinks he's upset, and his swim in the ocean.

I don't see the nuanced poetic beauty .

Can you tell me what I'm missing Moleman? Where is the poetry? Where is the art? I see a story, but not one that resonates or moves me.

I don’t see much of a return to singing, but more of the same caterwauling.

@KozFan said:
    I don’t see much of a return to singing, but more of the same caterwauling.

Yes indeed

@admiralfellpromises said:

As someone who is a fan of Mark's recent output, I can agree with Mr. Hanky and say that this doesn't resonate with me at all. He's talking about some skinny ass cats, a hotel worker who thinks he's upset, and his swim in the ocean.

Can you tell me what I'm missing Moleman? Where is the poetry? Where is the art? I see a story, but not one that resonates or moves me.

I'm sure you know that I cannot tell you what you're missing. It is a rigged question, because you already identify what I evidently find moving and put it into degenerative terms -- skinny ass cats, a hotel worker who thinks he's upset, and an ocean swim. I think, personally, that "skinny ass cats" is a strange way of putting what is almost certainly a true story about cats starving to death in Kotor, one of them separated from its mother, but you are entitled to put it however you like. I think the cat part is the most moving, because it is almost certainly true, and unspeakably sad. You would not cry to see a kitten starving to death? Then I don't know why you ever signed up: that is as pure of a distillation of 'Koz philosophy' as I can think of. The complaints you and others make could as easily be applied to many, many controversial but acknowledged figures. Frank O'Hara?

"It is 12:10 in New York and I am wondering
    if I will finish this in time to meet Norman for lunch
    ah lunch! I think I am going crazy"

If Kozelek wrote this I think you'd say 'oh, more lazy Mark, writing about his lunch again. Give it a break.' But it's the first 3 lines of one of O'Hara's most acclaimed poems: so I say to you again, do you think maybe you are missing something? Not something explicable on an internet forum, just some appreciative gland for this kind of poetry and art. Because Mark is certainly not the only one doing it, and there are many acclaimed examples beloved by many people.
    As for the singing, the moment at 5:00 is unspeakable, his voice and the music lifts simultaneously and you can hear the misery in the voice; for a man oft-criticized for being miserable, I think it's his greatest asset for this genre of work. I can't make you see the beauty, but I am certain it's there -- the same way if you said O'Hara was just talking about his lunch, or Joyce didn't use enough grammar, or Nick Drake should have perked up a bit millions would come out of the woodwork to point out that the very thing you take issue with is what makes that particular work beloved. But no-one will defend Koz in the same way, so I will.

I do think that he isn't admired for his creativity enough. His approach to songwriting, while similar to some certain poets, goes a step beyond in how insanely detailed his songs tend to be, and his musical approach to the lyrics he writes. Common As Light basically sounded like someone half-intentionally rediscovering rap music which made it all the more interesting for me.

• @moleman said:

@admiralfellpromises said:

I'm sure you know that I cannot tell you what you're missing. It is a rigged question, because you already identify what I evidently find moving and put it into degenerative terms -- skinny ass cats, a hotel worker who thinks he's upset, and an ocean swim. I think, personally, that "skinny ass cats" is a strange way of putting what is almost certainly a true story about cats starving to death in Kotor, one of them separated from its mother, but you are entitled to put it however you like. I think the cat part is the most moving, because it is almost certainly true, and unspeakably sad. You would not cry to see a kitten starving to death? Then I don't know why you ever signed up: that is as pure of a distillation of 'Koz philosophy' as I can think of. The complaints you and others make could as easily be applied to many, many controversial but acknowledged figures. Frank O'Hara?

"It is 12:10 in New York and I am wondering
    if I will finish this in time to meet Norman for lunch
    ah lunch! I think I am going crazy"

If Kozelek wrote this I think you'd say 'oh, more lazy Mark, writing about his lunch again. Give it a break.' But it's the first 3 lines of one of O'Hara's most acclaimed poems: so I say to you again, do you think maybe you are missing something? Not something explicable on an internet forum, just some appreciative gland for this kind of poetry and art. Because Mark is certainly not the only one doing it, and there are many acclaimed examples beloved by many people.
    As for the singing, the moment at 5:00 is unspeakable, his voice and the music lifts simultaneously and you can hear the misery in the voice; for a man oft-criticized for being miserable, I think it's his greatest asset for this genre of work. I can't make you see the beauty, but I am certain it's there -- the same way if you said O'Hara was just talking about his lunch, or Joyce didn't use enough grammar, or Nick Drake should have perked up a bit millions would come out of the woodwork to point out that the very thing you take issue with is what makes that particular work beloved. But no-one will defend Koz in the same way, so I will.

Absolutely on the money.

It's very easy but silly to take art purely at face value and/or describe it in reductive and simplistic ways like we see above in order to deride it.

The Koz is in the form of his life. I'll take the last few years of Koz's output over the RHP albums any day.

• edited August 1 Posts: 99

Good to see some well-articulated pushback against the Sad Whiners orthodoxy. Here's my take on RHP, as someone who didn't really listen to them until being converted to Koz by Benji. Half of Down Colorful Hill, Rollercoaster and Bridge are great; Ocean Beach is okay; SFABG is boring; so is Old Ramon, apart from Void and Michigan. Warts and all (and contra gustavostillsnash, Koz's post-Benji work, though occasionally brilliant, has been wartier than I would like), I'll take the SKM oeuvre over the RHP in a heartbeat.

@Sergei_Walankov said:
    Half of Down Colorful Hill, Rollercoaster and Bridge are great

Easy there; DCH is watertight.

I'm not crazy about this song, but @moleman nailed it. Makes me think back to Tiny Mix Tapes' Benji review, which argued that Mark's unabashedly sincere and direct songwriting is the new "experimental."

I don’t get all the histrionics. If you think the new stuff is Mark’s best work, more power to you. But it doesn’t mean that other people can’t prefer earlier stuff. Opinions are by nature subjective; there is no right or wrong. Unless everyone agrees that a screeched song about neglected domestic animals is high art, your world is shattered?

• edited August 2 Posts: 48

@KozFan said:
    I don’t get all the histrionics. If you think the new stuff is Mark’s best work, more power to you. But it doesn’t mean that other people can’t prefer earlier stuff. Opinions are by nature subjective; there is no right or wrong. Unless everyone agrees that a screeched song about neglected domestic animals is high art, your world is shattered?

No offence brother but this is absurd. People shit on Koz's new stuff every day on here, you're going to complain because I take the time to properly defend it on one occasion? I'm not calling you yourself a moron, but that's a moronic attitude. "Histrionics": it's a defence of his new work on a forum dedicated to his work! And I say again, you people would get a lot further if you could stop yourselves deliberately trying to frame things with terms like "screening" and a sneering "high art". You should be able to make your case, as I've made mine, if you're going to log on a couple of times a week to insult a very accomplished artist making more interesting work than he ever has before. Your first comment in this thread is "I don’t see much of a return to singing, but more of the same caterwauling"; then I give my view and all of a sudden it's oh-well-people-can-have-their-opinions. I think people on this site have just got used to bashing Koz without thinking about it: fine, but I am entitled to push back. It's one small step from here to it's-just-your-opinion-mannnnnn. Well, yes, who else's would it be?

@gustavostillsnash said:
    Absolutely on the money.

@Sergei_Walankov said:
    Good to see some well-articulated pushback against the Sad Whiners orthodoxy.

@arudnick said:
    I'm not crazy about this song, but @moleman nailed it.

Thanks very much. I really do think he gets better and better, and RHP was already great.

It wasn’t my first comment in the thread, but hey it fits your victim narrative.

@KozFan said:
    It wasn’t my first comment in the thread, but hey it fits your victim narrative.

You're a lazy hater! Okay, *One of your comments in the thread was..
    Whether it was the first or not makes no difference whatsoever, but I apologise for the error.

I know you have been a member for a short time, but this is not really a place for name calling and vitriol. Mr Hanky’s opinion wasn’t “completely inappropriate.” It was just different than yours. Grow up. I won’t be encouraging your trolling further.

@KozFan said:
    I know you have been a member for a short time, but this is not really a place for name calling and vitriol. Mr Hanky’s opinion wasn’t “completely inappropriate.” It was just different than yours. Grow up. I won’t be encouraging your trolling further.

Yes, you got me, I'm "trolling". If only I typed more pleasant characterizations, like "skinny ass cats" and "caterwauling".

• JRSJRS

I think everyone needs to stop being to catty. No pun intended.

• edited August 2 Posts: 368

Aw geez, what's going on here...Look at what the Koz has done with this song... - No, seriously, I can't judge the song because of the audience noise. So for me it's a schrödinger's cat like situation, as long as I can't hear it, it's simultaneously bad and good. Which is coincidentally a perfect description for the current Koz output.

You got to hand it to Koz, not many people come up with such a different approach so late in their career. Maybe even a newish genre. Do I like it, no, not one bit. But some obviously do, arguably he’s more popular now than ever. Other than not liking the bulk of the stuff post Benji, I have never liked the cat songs. I can barely get through listening to this one and I’ve tried a couple of times because Moleman is so adamant, but I can’t see the beauty in it and that is that.

• Someone put another version up:

@gustavostillsnash said:
    Someone put another version up:

Motherfucker.
    Do I gotta type another paragraph?
    Because this is genius. Much better recording.

Skinny kitty go meow meow.

Hahahaha!