New Mark collaboration on Donny McCaslin album

Herewith "The Opener", a new collaboration between Mark and Donny McCaslin - not from the Mark Kozelek with Donny McCaslin and Jim White album, but a guest spot by Mark on McCaslin new solo album, Blow. So it's a very good Blackstar-ish instrumental track with Mark doing what he does over the top.
https://noisey.vice.com/en_au/article/594nbk/mark-kozelek-tells-a-weird-story-on-donny-mccaslins-sharp-new-single?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Comments

• WDSWDS

I thought this was pretty good -cool story but not too much going on in the melody dept.

But does anyone know who this opener was? I'd love to find out.

• I did a few minutes of research on this before I gave up. If I understand Mark correctly, he played a show at a venue in Florida called "Fortunate One", named after the Creedence Clearwater Revival Song - by which he surely means Fortunate Son. But I couldn't find any evidence of such a venue, or where Mark might have played in Florida recently.

• I think if Mark ever decides to go full on rap I'd be okay with that now.

• @Sergei_Walankov said:
    I did a few minutes of research on this before I gave up. If I understand Mark correctly, he played a show at a venue in Florida called "Fortunate One", named after the Creedence Clearwater Revival Song - by which he surely means Fortunate Son. But I couldn't find any evidence of such a venue, or where Mark might have played in Florida recently.

Yeah - I can't find anything either. I think there is something quite peculiar going on with his writing at the moment, and it seems as if more fictional elements are creeping in. I mean, did he really have an argument with some people in his hotel who complained about his 'rapping' and 'LL Cool J'?

I think that he's weaving quite a bit of fictional stuff in at this point along with bits which are based in truth, which is kind of an interesting style. He's been quite guarded about the extent to which the recent stuff is 'true', so maybe he's been doing this since 'Benji' or whenever, but I think I definitely notice some stuff on 'Common As Light...'.

This 'Opener' song is really great though. I like the music a lot.

• WDSWDS

Also if it was true, Caroline might have a word to say about his after gig activities

• Wow. This seems definitely like hip-hop, kinda oldschool. I like it.

• I have been procrastinating tonight and trying to find out if any of this is true, based around Mark's shows in Florida and Angel Manfredy fights. Manfredy's last fight was in 2004, so if this is true it's not recent.

There's a record of Mark playing Orlando, FL on 24th September 1994, while Angel Manfredy fought John Brown on the 22nd of that month, the fight before he met Mayweather. Maybe it was that show, maybe he played in Florida again but it's just not listed anywhere.

Need to find something else to do...

• @gustavostillsnash said:
    I have been procrastinating tonight and trying to find out if any of this is true, based around Mark's shows in Florida and Angel Manfredy fights. Manfredy's last fight was in 2004, so if this is true it's not recent.

There's a record of Mark playing Orlando, FL on 24th September 1994, while Angel Manfredy fought John Brown on the 22nd of that month, the fight before he met Mayweather. Maybe it was that show, maybe he played in Florida again but it's just not listed anywhere.

Need to find something else to do...

Another thing to note is that a lot of Mark's stories happened quite a while ago

• WDSWDS

This would make sense of the fact that he's going back to his room with two girls. Maybe this is pre Caroline days.

• Sure yeah. Parts of the story seem quite odd though, kind of fitting with the off-kilter nature of the music. I think it may be a mixture of fact and fiction. I like it anyway.

The video:

Okay I am delighted to say that I really like this
    With the sax there is an air of Bowie’s final album Black ⭐️
    The song doesn’t overstay it’s welcome & biggest plus of all I can imagine listening to this song again
    The 🎷 player has a look of Jurgen Klopp about him I reckon
    Hooray Mark & the fact that the opener hates him is pretty funny too

Yeah, really like this.

• The video though. WTH did I just watch?! Are those bottles of water in the background or vodka ? Does Mark wanna be a rap star? 😉

@MrHanky said:
    The song doesn’t overstay it’s welcome & biggest plus of all I can imagine listening to this song again

Oh now I see the header on this and it is in fact Mark appearing on Donny McCaslin’s album so THAT explains why it is 5 and not 18 minutes long & the music is a bit different
    Still like it though 💩

• JRSJRS

@MrHanky said:

@MrHanky said:

Oh now I see the header on this and it is in fact Mark appearing on Donny McCaslin’s album so THAT explains why it is 5 and not 18 minutes long & the music is a bit different
    Still like it though 💩

Yep that confused me a little too. Liking the song though.

Just a little warning: ordered the album on vinyl and found out too late that THE OPENER is not on it... along with Exactlyfourminutesofimprovisedmusic which is also missing. Both are on the CD only... boy, this sucks.