Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 05-31-2007 1:04am

rayna
Website

the national

i'm curious to see if anyone here likes the national. i've seen them three times this month, and i'm going back for more on friday. there is just something very beautiful about them...

-rayna

#2 05-31-2007 11:06pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Re: the national

heard of them.. which album do you recommend?

#3 06-01-2007 2:31pm

Gurkov

check out "alligator"! one of last year's best albums (or was it the year before that? either way, a great record!) smile

#4 06-01-2007 4:32pm

Charles
Website

Alligator,definitely.Good band.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#5 06-02-2007 7:41am

johndespirito
Website

I just saw them on MTV2 Subterranean recently (the only MTV show I watch at all, haha).

They were pretty good!

#6 06-02-2007 3:06pm

DaveC

i saw them live in UK supporting Editors and thoroughly enjoyed the set though have not checked out Alligator or Boxers yet....

#7 06-02-2007 10:39pm

rayna
Website

i, too, would recommend "alligator" as your entry point. from there, i'd get their latest, "boxer," and then the "cherry tree" ep.

and please, be sure to listen to the albums a few times before reaching your verdict. their songs often take awhile to crawl into your veins before settling in for eternity.

lastly, find them soon, jason. they are playing san diego on june 25.

take care,
rayna

p.s. if anyone wants me to send them a song or two, i'd be more than happy to do so...

#8 06-06-2007 4:04pm

Charles
Website

I don't think i've heard anything off of Boxer.How does it compare to earlier releases?

#9 06-06-2007 4:06pm

ricosuave

Yeah, the national are my 'other' favourite band.
I travelled from Glasgow to see them play the London Astoria a couple of weeks ago and they were awesome.
Alligator is a superb album and Boxer is growing on me at a rapid pace. Rayna was right about being patient with them because the songs don't reveal themselves until you have heard them several times. But they are very much worth persevering with!
I travelled to London to see Mark Kozelek and now I have travelled there to see the National. Luckily for me, both of them are playing Glasgow within the space of four days in October/November. That will be some week.

#10 10-22-2009 5:15am

flytox

Sometimes you need to give bands a second listening.

When I first heard them a few years ago I rejected them as being the same sh.. as Interpol and Editors. They´re not. They´re great.

www.myspace.com/thenational

Check out Fake Empire, then Apartment Song, then Mistaken for Strangers. Beautiful, gloomy anthems...

#11 10-25-2009 10:03am

Ireland
Website

I saw them playing in Copenhaguen last august and it was awsome.

I have to say that I love this band and, in my opinion, their ability to compose beautiful and good songs (both of their albums are entirely awsome) is surprising.

#12 10-25-2009 1:10pm

DaveC

The National are the kind of band i really want to like but can't seem to get into that much. Boxer was raved about and i know its been said it takes a few listens, which i have given it, but it just seems a little too underwhelming. At times its the understatedness of the songs that appeals to me but that doesnt cut it for a whole album for me, hence i adore some of the songs on Boxer, and others totally bore me, i think taking the better songs they could have done an EP or mini-album, surely anyone who is not a die-hard fan of this band must admit there are boring songs on this album.

As i have said, i adore some songs on the album, but i listen to a lot of post-rock (dead genre, apparently, but not for me) and so this album is too understated for me, with no real peaks/climaxes/epicness whatsoever. It doesnt seem to go anywhere at all.

#13 01-04-2011 3:38pm

Charles
Website

I bought the two disc version of High Violet last night. I really enjoy about half the songs total out of the 19 across both discs. I prefer the alternate version of Terrible Love and feel that the additional songs "You Were A Kindness," "Walk Off," and "Sin Eaters" should have made the album while "Runaway," "England," and "A Little Faith" and the album proper version of "Terrible Love" are generally a bit too long and don't add much to the album.

Good album overall though.

#14 01-04-2011 4:21pm

Concern Charity Fundrazer

They played a 3-night stint in The Olympia Dublin in early December and a few people i know who went rated it as perhaps the gig of a high quality year of live events here.As I wasnt there i'd rate Arcade Fire and Foals as my top two in ireland with the Koz in Union Chapel up there too.

Last edited by Concern Charity Fundrazer (01-04-2011 4:25pm)

#15 01-04-2011 8:01pm

doggie_diner

Concern Charity Fundrazer wrote:

They played a 3-night stint in The Olympia Dublin in early December and a few people i know who went rated it as perhaps the gig of a high quality year of live events here.As I wasnt there i'd rate Arcade Fire and Foals as my top two in ireland with the Koz in Union Chapel up there too.

do you write for one of the cafe newspapers ccf? There's something fishy about a three night stint, that is to say, a group playing three nights in a row, where's the sincerity in that? routine
imagine if this national group played a residency somewhere, they're like a dry sneeze

It's like on a long week-end when young people take to the drinking and courting and only the crumbs are left by monday.
C'mon lad, we're confronted with these Arcade Fire cafe bands once too much in the culture rags and enough is enough, they aren't worth the blare atallatall, so keep the loudspeaker low here

The National, pfft, please. they sound like a sea shell that's given up hope!

get ugly!

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

Board footer