Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-02-2008 8:26pm

softshoulders

blue orchids

anyone have a tab they wanna put up?

#2 07-03-2008 11:40pm

LettersInKanji
Website

Re: blue orchids

I know it. I am pretty busy, and the middle section would be really time consuming to tab, but I know how to play it. See a thread below for the tuning.

#3 07-04-2008 1:47am

Sonograph
Website

hope you will someday. busy days for me too. i used to tab songs, mainly SOPHIA tunes. see my work here: www.sophiamusic.net - though it's easier to tab (strummed chords & standard tuning, most of the time), i know that it's a really really long process. & i've been writing down my own songs in notebooks for ages, it can be dead boring sometimes. but in the end you're always happy with it, i guess. because it's a memory, and you can always come back to it, when you don't remember it. so hope the 'blue orchids' tab will come out someday... ;-)

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music." - T.S. Eliot

#4 07-04-2008 1:48am

Sonograph
Website

well, i meant this website: http://www.geocities.com/sophiatablature - thanks

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music." - T.S. Eliot

#5 08-19-2008 7:15am

redheaven

I'm VERY far from a tab expert, but if someone can provide the tuning, I'd like to see if I can figure this one out!

#6 08-19-2008 3:06pm

Pierre21
Website

I don't have my guitar here with me, and I can't remember it by heart, but you can probably start from here :

Tuning DADGAD
Capo 3rd fret ( 4rth ?)

<x30030>
<x20030>
<x02020>
<5x0000>

Chorus starts with :

<3x0003>

#7 08-04-2009 12:03pm

wombat evolved

yeah that sort of fits, only i cant get very far working out the gaps, could somebody please show us a more detailed version. or a link to some secret website that has it on. none of the tab searchers do, ie 911 tabs or UG.
this is one of my very favourite songs by Mark Kozelek it would be awesome if i could get it figured out.

cheers,

#8 08-04-2009 3:14pm

sml

I stuck this vid on youtube last year.  The middle bit isn't right and the end is missing the high D but you can get and idea if u are really stuck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4ZTSJZ_F4
I know how to play it properly now and could post a better version if you want. I still havent learned how to do tabs so can't help there.

Things mean a lot at the time   ...don't mean nothing later.

#9 08-04-2009 5:00pm

yoshimi

Hey guys,

Oddly enough someone has gone to the effort of tabbing the entire song! The link is here: http://www.911tabs.com/link/?6657100 or if that doesn't work then googling "Sun kil moon blue orchids guitar tab" should bring it up.

It is a very nice tab too, IMO.

#10 08-05-2009 5:03am

wombat evolved

wow that tab is BRAND new, im a member of UG, and that never came up before. THANKS for pointing it out! plus thanks leivreed also, sml your video is AWESOME, very well played and it also is gonna make it possoble for me to figure out the right hande technique. cheers guys, ill have a look at this guys tab on UG and post a review here aswell.

Thanks!   big_smile

#11 08-06-2009 4:24pm

markman

That is a beast of a tab, kudos to the individual behind that tab should he/she frequent this thread.  Time to work on the old banjo role!

#12 08-07-2009 9:56pm

wombat evolved

yeah ive had a look at the tab, its good but i think the instrumental bit after the flamenco style strumming part isn't quite right. im working out the correct verison of this, but i have decided to try and convert the entire song into a power tab file so ill post the link to it on here when ive finished it. ( in a while )
but ill try and keep it relatively simple because its a chore scrolling through reams of tab if the music is very similar for several minutes.
p.s  it will probably need some alterations because im not experienced at writing music.

cheers

#13 08-21-2009 12:02pm

jaylew

Damn, someone beat me to it! I just finished working it out and was going to write up the tab and post it here and on the blueguitar site.

It's a nice tab. There are definitely several errors there, but I also found something I was doing wrong and have since corrected.

#14 08-21-2009 3:36pm

markman

Care to post your corrections?  I can't stop playing this song, the middle banjo roll part sounds amazing.  I'm interested to see any revisions, especially for the coda as I don't think it sounds quite right.

jaylew wrote:

Damn, someone beat me to it! I just finished working it out and was going to write up the tab and post it here and on the blueguitar site.

It's a nice tab. There are definitely several errors there, but I also found something I was doing wrong and have since corrected.

#15 08-24-2009 1:31pm

jaylew

I assume you're talking about that last bit that basically finishes the song? This is how I play it. I think the important thing is to make that high D ring. Forgive the raggedness of this but my word doc is in a monotype font. I cleaned it up a bit so hopefully it's readable on your browser. I've got some other corrections(to my ear), especially in the Spanish bit in the middle but I tried to copy my version over to this forum and it was a mess and would have taken me forever to clean up. I'm about halfway done with the complete tab and I'll post a link when it goes up.
0------------------0-|--------------------0-|---------------2---0-|--------------------0-|
--------0------------|--------0-------------|---------3-----------|---------0-------------|
--0----------0-------|---0---------0--------|---0-------0---------|---0---------0-------|
-----------------0---|-----------------0----|-------2---------(2)-|-----------------0----|
-----3---------------|------3---------------|-0-------------------|------3----------------|
3---------3----------|-5---------5----------|---------------------|-2---------2----------|

DADGAD Capo 3

Last edited by jaylew (08-24-2009 1:31pm)

Board footer