Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-12-2008 12:50am

Charles
Website

Increase in Bots and Spam

I think it's time for an update of the forum software if that's possible, Jason. Just figured I'd say something since I've noticed an increase in the past three or four days.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#2 08-12-2008 1:29pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Re: Increase in Bots and Spam

Unfortunately, updating the software won't help the problem.

The problem is that the spammers are manually registering with legit email addresses, and are therefore verified to post on the forum. So it's not a bot.

edit: ok so it's probably a bot actually. smile

Just click Report down at the bottom of each offending post and I'll take care of them. Don't both replying to the spam, either.

As for the forum, some of the developers who worked on this software (punbb) have broken off and are creating FluxBB, based on the upcoming 1.3 version of the software. When that happens I'll port this over to it.

I don't really want to have to manually verify all those that pass the email verification, but if it starts getting out of control, I'll look into it.

And honestly, I can count the number of spammers I've banned on 2 hands. And in 5 years, that's pretty good I think. smile

#3 08-12-2008 10:15pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

OK so here's the deal.

All new users are now placed in the Unverified group when they join, and they have to PM me something interesting about themselves before they can join.

Hopefully this will cut down on the spam. smile

#4 08-13-2008 12:27am

Charles
Website

Thanks Jason.:)

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#5 08-24-2008 8:04pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. I did some pruning of accounts yesterday, and since then I'm unable to set the default signup group back to Unverified (which doesn't let spambots post when they signup).

In other words, spambots might strike again. hmm

I've posted on their forums for a fix, but until then, please use the Report link on any spam that might get through.

Thanks for your understanding while I remedy this.

Board footer