Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 09-07-2008 9:19pm

beginning's eve
Website

why im starting to hate Myspace...

Myspace threw me for a loop today as i was uploading some RHP tunes as voted on by the fans, basically telling me that i no longer have rights to upload Mark's music, even though i legally own the songs i post on the fanpage, even though i dont make those legally owned songs downloadable...?!

needless to say im not too happy with Myspace right now...
copyrights and politics just seem to get in the way of spreading quality music all too often (ie: the release of Old Ramon, etc.)

but for those of you who care, im working on a Facebook Koz fanpage currently, and its seeming like that may have been the better route to go anyway...  i'll post more on that as it comes along.

be well folks,

~chase

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#2 09-08-2008 6:14am

lament
Site Owner
Website

Re: why im starting to hate Myspace...

Well technically we don't own the songs just because we bought them. Mark, the label and the music publishing company (ASCAP, BMI, etc) own the songs.

By buying the music, we've actually bought a license to enjoy the songs for personal use. We don't have a license to upload the songs anywhere since legally they're not our songs.

sad

#3 09-08-2008 4:43pm

LettersInKanji
Website

More precisely, what this probably means is that someone affiliated with Mark found out about the page (perhaps by seeing it promoted here) and requested the songs be taken down. Myspace, which almost always complies with a purported copyright owner with no questions asked, then took it down.

#4 09-08-2008 6:50pm

elusivechris
Website

to me it doesnt even make any sense because they are streaming NOT downloading, I dunno thats so lame, if Koz really heard about this and had it shut down thats such a dick move considering nobody can be-befriended by any of his Myspace accounts, what kinda of band doesnt want friends on myspace? its FREE promotion?!

<-- that's me & Koz , Dec 03 & Voo Doo Fire !

#5 09-08-2008 7:32pm

beginning's eve
Website

exactly!

im not sure why anyone would be offended by fans promoting music?

ive never made the songs downloadable, and especially when you have over 3500 folks 'befriended' to a cause, many of whom are informed thru this particular promotion, and then go on to buy concert tickets, albums, merch, etc.  i just dont see how that hurts anyone?!

though i dont think Mark or anyone he's involved with took part in this Myspace thing, i think it all falls solely on Myspace and new copyright infringement policies they've adopted, etc.

#6 09-08-2008 9:36pm

LettersInKanji
Website

Yeah but this isn't new. You've had to certify that you hold the copyrights to any songs you are uploading for five years, at least. I've never heard of enforcement that wasn't the result of the copyright holder or a representative thereof intervening.

#7 09-08-2008 10:34pm

beginning's eve
Website

i guess... it just weird that they started enforcing the 'rule of law' now, and not back in 05 when i started the page, etc.

#8 09-09-2008 10:25pm

flytox

I´m very sure that someone from the Kozelek camp told the myspace people to do that. Kozelek has shown several times that he is opposed to the internet infrastructure. What people like him or Metallica (or whoever presents himself as an enemy of download and streaming culture) forget is that

1. they used to be music fans who traded and exchanged mix tapes with their friends themselves

2. they owe their career to people spreading their word by trading and exchanging mix tapes

Music fans will always want to own the real product. To sell their records, musicians have to get fans. The best way to get there is to face as many people as possible with their music. If I didn´t love Kozelek´s music that much, I would want him to lose all his fans for doing things like that (or for example treating this forum with very little respect in the past). He should sit on a stack of his records wondering why nobody would buy them for that dick move. What a dick move! What a dick!

#9 09-21-2008 12:56pm

mrclarinet
Website

I personally don't have anything against sharing music or making mix tapes (etc) but I saw an interview a few years ago where Mark said something that made sense to me. 

He mentioned something about Neil Young owning a big ranch somewhere whilst he sits in a tiny motel room and how he wondered why he didn't have much money.  Obviously it's because he's not as popular, but you can imagine being a little hard-up because you're not a big star and then finding out that people are just copying your music rather than buying it.  Not saying it's right, I'm just saying I understand his annoyance.

Plus, who said people can't change their minds?  He may have done that when he was younger, but do you reckon he does it now?  I don't copy music by small time bands as much as I used to because I've tried selling my own CDs and I know that every sale counts.  Big bands like Metallica should just shut up though- they have enough cash.

So, I don't see a problem with copying necessarily, but I can see why he'd be annoyed.

To every middle class problem, there is a working class solution (Dave from Hairy Bikers, 2008)

Board footer