Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 02-07-2004 2:19pm

mccarthy

February 8, 2004 @ The Social, Orlando, FL - Mark Solo

will be there, pen in hand.

#2 02-08-2004 10:40pm

mccarthy

Re: February 8, 2004 @ The Social, Orlando, FL - Mark Solo

Here is the setlist for February 8th at the Social Orlando, Mark Kozelek solo, I should be mixing a DAT to CDR w/ a friend, so I'll keep you posted...

01. Pancho Villa
02. Lily and Parrots
03. If you Want Blood
04. Glenn Tipton
05. Carry Me, Ohio
06. Cruiser
07. All Mixed Up
08. New Jersey
09. Grace Cathedreal Park
10. Whiskey in The Jar
11. Ruth Marie
12. Void
13. Bad Boy Boogie
14. The Green Manalishi ***
15. Follow Me, Ruben Olivares
16. Summer Dress
17. Duk Koo Kim
18. Katy Song
19. Gentle Moon

*** I don't know which version koz is covering, I would wager on Judas Priests cover of the Fleetwood Mac original... (04/01/04)

~~~

This was an amazing very intimate show with a very relaxed Kozelek, who told a member of the audience to stop squeaking her feet against the floor or he'd spank her.  He was jovial and seemed in good spirits.

I highlighted Whiskey In the Jar, because he called out to the audience for another song to do, and after a few shouts here and there I shouted "Whiskey In the Jar", knowing he had covered it before, so he played that as a lead in, into Ruth Marie.

smile

#3 02-09-2004 4:24am

willbassin

i was there, and i thought it was an excellent set. his voice sounded amazing as it filled the room. if there is anyway to get my hands on a copy of that show let me know.

#4 02-09-2004 11:00am

mccarthy

i was there, and i thought it was an excellent set. his voice sounded amazing as it filled the room. if there is anyway to get my hands on a copy of that show let me know.

Yes of course, I'm not sure how the MINI Disc sounds, but I have a fairly extensive mastering suite and I can usually make even poor recording sound good.  And then we can figure a way to distribute.

I thought the acoustics were great and his voice was amazing, If you know anyone who has taken pictures, I think that would be a really nice addition to the set, perhaps as a hybrid cd.

warm regards,
if you need to get in touch with me, my secondary email adress
is amkultra (AT) hotmail (DOT) com.

#5 02-09-2004 10:09pm

Quiddity319

Hey mccarthy,  you were sitting at my table.  I hope B's MD comes out...Let me know..

And if anyone was outside during his soundcheck and hanging by the door, he played Celebrated Summer by Husker Du....

Great show.  His voice sounded great.  He was definately happier than when he was here there in 98.

Quiddity

"I'd like to come home to see you
and to catch your sickness by the bedside"

#6 02-09-2004 10:53pm

mccarthy

Hey mccarthy,  you were sitting at my table.  I hope B's MD comes out...Let me know..

And if anyone was outside during his soundcheck and hanging by the door, he played Celebrated Summer by Husker Du....
Great show.  His voice sounded great.  He was definately happier than when he was here there in 98.

Yeah, I was waiting on someone, I wish I had come up earlier, eventually I just said fuk it, and walked up there on my own.  Yeah, I was the guy with the candle light and the notepad wink

I'm not too familiar w/ his previous recent solo set lists, but I was really surprised to hear him play Ruth Marie, which I really wanted to hear, but after my catterwauling "WHISKEY IN THE JAR!!!!!!!!1", I wasn't allowed to raise my voice again at the request of my company wink

I think I asked for Whiskey... because I knew that a) it wouldnt have any necissary emotion attachment to him, re: rollercoaster lp... etc... and I've never heard him play more than 2:30 minutes of it so.... I was happy.

closing w/ Duk Koo Kim, with Gentle Moon as an (encore?) amazing.

keep in touch, amkultra (AT) hotmail (DOT) com.

ps. who was that asshat yelling in the corner???

#7 02-10-2004 4:20am

willbassin

i know right, "play pet shop boys!" ... did you read the review for the austin show? the comment about the camera is classic. i was thinking he might have been thinking something along those same lines in orlando, it seemed a lot of flashes were going off throughout the night. also, another note. in 1997-98 i was 17 in high school, so i didnt come to know him or RHP's but what was that show like??

#8 02-10-2004 5:50am

Quiddity319

mccarthy it wasn't me who requested you not request (huh? what did I just say?)....I thought it was cool he played that....I had said Sundays and Holidays (twice), alas...

willbassin that show was really amazing but there were a lot of just people of the street standing at the bar and talking and there was this annoying beeper on the door that would beep twice every time it was opened...Mark (understandably) was getting adgitated.  Near the end he just left and the manager came on stage and basically yelled at all the idiots and said something to the effect that he has seven dollars in is pocket and if anyone wanted to leave he would give them seven bucks. Either that or shut up and listen to Mark...It was royally cool of him to do...mark came out and played a bit more...then he left and came back again and did an a capella number without the mic.  I have a couple of MDs around somewhere that I'm looking for from that show...

Quiddity

"Let the sad winter moon turn slow to my future
and the cool dark air cover me in my nearing bed"

#9 02-10-2004 7:51am

mccarthy

I think a lot of people were rude, first off, I would find it a bit offensive to be taking "FLASH" photography when somone was playing accoustic (it sure would disturb me!!) also, he asked to have the doors closed early... not to mention the people in the corner who felt just because they saw him years ago they had a natual right to yell and converse with them as if they were old buddies, except for the prompted "okay, what should I play next" i was quiet as a church mouse, just making sure my scrawl of a set list was readable.

Was anyone surprised at Katy Song??

That said, there were also many respective audience members, my ex gf, who as never a big RHP fan was amazed and I think I saw her tearing up for a couple of songs.

edit: oh it was my Ex who chided me and said NO MORE YELLING!

#10 02-10-2004 11:43am

mccarthy

yeah, I was the guy who hogged the table light so I could write down the setlist! hehe... let me tell you it's hard for a scatterbrain like me to remember the differences between Pancho Villa and Salvador Sanchez... but someone set me straight.

Still waiting for a reply from my MINIDISC man, maybe he has a, heh, job or something.

#11 05-24-2012 7:34pm

CoKlaComa

mccarthy wrote:

ps. who was that asshat yelling in the corner???

willbassin wrote:

i know right, "play pet shop boys!"

OK, so perhaps I'm late to the game, you can go ahead and give me my reward for the longest time ever taken to respond... I was telling a friend of mine about the time I was lucky enough to see Mark live in concert and came across this forum in a search for the setlist. Imagine my surprise all these years later at seeing that I'm mentioned here by fans discussing the performance.

I really thought Mark's style would lend itself well to some of the Pet Shop Boys lyrics & song structure; I mean can you imagine how great a Kozelek-esque rendition of "My October Symphony" or "It Always Comes As A Surprise" would be. Frankly my ears are ringing in anticipation from just imagining it, and it’s not just the tinnitus.

Anyhow, for what it’s worth it was a phenomenal show & this is a great forum .. thanks! :-)

Sincerely,
~Jeffrey (aka "that asshat")

#12 05-24-2012 10:28pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Best old thread bump yet. Welcome Jeffrey.

I'm a big Pet Shop Boys fan and Behavior is my favorite album.  I think it would be great to hear something like "My October Symphony", "Only The Wind" or "This must be the place I've waited years to leave" covered.

#13 05-25-2012 3:09am

Gurkov

Mark should definitely have recorded a Pet Shop Boys cover album instead of Among the Leaves! I can just about hear him singing "I love you, you pay my rent".

#14 07-01-2012 7:15am

dietcoke4breakfast

a koz pet shop boys cover album would be brilliant! i'd like to hear 'you only tell me you love me when you're drunk,' 'rent,' 'why don't we live together.'

oh! imagine how great he could do 'domino dancing' with mega spanish guitar flourishes?!

#15 07-04-2012 5:19am

Gurkov

oh yes, domino dancing! i'm 100% sure it would be spectacular.

and then, to top it off, of course: "coz i was always being boring, i had too much time to find for myself"

Board footer