Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 03-16-2009 3:11pm

Charles
Website

Vinyl or CD?

After reading the rarity of Koz vinyl thread, it made me want to pose this question to you guys. Is there really any validity to the claim of "vinyl sounds better than cd"? I personally have never heard a single album that sounds better on vinyl than on CD. I've heard some vinyl that seemed like it was as good, and I've heard old, used vinyl that sounds terrible, but that's all.

What are the advantages, if any of vinyl over CD?

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#2 03-16-2009 4:15pm

andrzej

Re: Vinyl or CD?

My foots firmly in the Cd camp, I have never understood, why some people hold vinyl in such high esteem,
belt driven, direct drive no matter how much I paid for my turn table
or come to that the arm or stylus the music always seemed to be
battling against the equipments inherent noise, and no matter how careful you were with vinyl it always seemed to degrade very quickly.
The only down side for me with the Cd format is when it comes to The Clash,
as a youth I followed The Clash all over the country and own all they put out on vinyl,
I don’t know what it is, the production or what but on Cd something’s lost,
may be that is why some people are drawn to vinyl,
but for me, sorry give me a Cd any time I will leave the rumble and hiss to the purists.

Who can pretend that there's a beginning and not an end
It ain't contrived, all the magic in our lives
Come down like a storm. then drizzles, then dies.

#3 03-19-2009 3:04pm

tricycleboy

When CD's first came out, the sampling rate was too large to pick up the subtlities of music, but it has improved greatly over the years; today's CD's sound warmer than the ones produced in the 80's.

I do still hear a difference when I listen to vinyl, but not sure how much of that is nostalgia creeping in smile.

Last edited by tricycleboy (08-22-2009 10:38am)

Who can pretend there's a beginning without an end?

#4 03-19-2009 6:37pm

HunkyDory

I freely admit that a lot of my interest in vinyl is rooted in nostalgia. I love the physical nature of LPs (colored vinyl, gate-fold sleeves, etc.) and even though they account for less than 10% of all my listening, I still feel a greater connection to them than to any other format. CDs (and MP3s) have always been more about convenience. I'm sure it's irrational, but I'm comfortable with that. I should also add that Mark does a great job with his vinyl releases... you can tell he really cares about that stuff.

#5 03-20-2009 11:23am

flytox

I would describe the sound of a CD as "confrontative". As a listener, you kind of collide with the sound...which is fine at a nomal volume.

The sound of a record is "transparent". It moves through you. You have to turn it up to realise...but at a high volume the listening pleasure of vinyl is not comparable to CDs.

This effect is very unspectacular with digitally recorded music. But when you get your hands on vinyl records recorded by people like Steve Albini, Iain Burgess, Peter Deimel, Bob Weston, Brian Paulson or Greg Norman, just buy and try them.

If you really want to experience the difference between CD and vinyl you should get Nirvana´s In Utero on both formats. Then turn up the drum intro of "Scentless apprentice". First the digital, then the analog version. I promise you won´t turn the record off until it ends...

#6 03-21-2009 4:40pm

Sickboy

flytox, well said! This is a touchy subject because we all hear so different. I always wondered why some people swore by vinyl so I had to really look into it. I talked to this old guy who ran the best and oldest record shop in town and he told me to really spend some time and money and get great speakers, amplifier, and a good turn table and dont go cheap on the cartridge. After doing what he said I also started looking into tube amps and tube preamps....holyshit what a world of difference that makes! It just seems to me that it takes better equipment to hear that true sound but because everyone wants to get a cheap cd player at walmart, you get that low quality sound....it also has a lot to do with how the album was recorded too.

I have this idea that because cds are digital and basically 1's and 0's you dont get the same sounds as vinyl which is analog. With 1's and 0's you're not getting those .2's and .8's or whatever. There is just something missing.

Listen to something that was recorded analog for an lp and listen to that same recording on cd and there is a hugh difference.

flytox is so right about the Nirvana thing. Its a whole different sound. You feel that shit in your bones. I started listening to classical music because of the difference. Its kinda crazy!

#7 03-21-2009 6:08pm

Charles
Website

Sickboy wrote:

Listen to something that was recorded analog for an lp and listen to that same recording on cd and there is a hugh difference.

If the recording is recorded specifically to sound best on vinyl, then it had better sound better on vinyl than compact disc.:P

From what I've gathered here and on another forum I asked on, vinyl can sound better than compact disc, but in order for it  to sound better, you have to have high grade everything, so a good vinyl setup sounds like it would cost a ton of money.

I was mainly wondering if you took an average turntable, and an average cd player, a new lp and the same album on compact disc and played them which one would sound better.

If there are anymore specific examples anyone could cite, it would be really helpful.

Sickboy wrote:

it also has a lot to do with how the album was recorded too.

I figured that was actually what the main factor was more often than not.

Last edited by Charles (03-21-2009 6:09pm)

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#8 03-22-2009 7:20am

Sickboy

I've also noticed a difference in loss of sound quality when you see the mark AAD on a cd from the original recording. A lot of companies have really got that original sound back now after they have gone back and remastered the cd. Which kind of sucks because I keep buying the same albums over again to get that "perfect" or "original studio" sound.

#9 08-23-2009 2:58am

NCFC

This is a great site for this sort of discussion:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

Not only discusses the respective merits of most things audio but a lot, loy more

Board footer