Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#16 12-10-2009 12:58pm

Pierre21
Website

Re: Shameless Self-Promotion Thread

I've got some new songs up on Myspace. You may want to check them out (or not).

I'm just objective.

#17 12-13-2009 10:34am

tricycleboy

FrithRah wrote:

yeah I know Jack isn't a MK fan ... but Honeychurch's second album made his top forty when it came out.

Where did you hear that Jack Rabid is not a fan?  Everytime he references RHP or SKM in The Big Takeover, it's always complimentary.

Who can pretend there's a beginning without an end?

#18 12-15-2009 8:29am

FrithRah

what?  I think you must have completely misunderstood me.

#19 12-18-2009 10:45am

LettersInKanji
Website

Oh, speaking of shameless self promotion.

My band, Last Tide, will be opening for Retribution Gospel Choir at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC on Feb. 4th. That should rule pretty hard.

#20 01-06-2010 2:27pm

Pierre21
Website

I've written and recorded a song at home this Christmas.

#21 01-09-2010 12:16pm

Pierre21
Website

Bastille Day is July the 14th... But I enjoy singing Christmas carols in the Summer personally so...

#22 01-12-2010 10:33am

Pierre21
Website

#23 01-12-2010 2:53pm

Pierre21
Website

hehehe !

#24 04-08-2010 4:08am

Pierre21
Website

A new song by In Bear Suits is up for grabs on the CLLCT website. Comments would be appreciated.

#25 04-08-2010 4:34am

Pierre21
Website

Pierre2 wrote:
doggie_diner wrote:

why aren't you singing in french? french is a lovely tongue, are you ashamed of your heritage?

I completely agree, i too deplore that so many young french musicians choose to sing in english, although i can understand the reasons. I think the main reason is that it is difficult to put french words on certain musics. Each language has its own music. If the artists that inspired you sing in english (which seems to be the case for Pierre21), it is very natural to go to english. Rock is the best example of this. There are very few bands that succeeded in making interesting rock music using the french language (Metal Urbain, Young Gods, Noir Desir, who else ?). French is too verbose for rock. Another reason for singing in english is that if you sing in french, you limit your chance of success to french-speaking countries. Young french artists who are known outside france (Daft Punk, Air, Phoenix, M83, Justice, Gojira) either make instrumental music or sing in english.

Ooooh I missed that question... Yeah that is probably why I sing in english. I've never really listened to french musicians anyway. I came to liking other music than classical and jazz through Tom Waits, Lou Reed and Beck when I was a teenager. And you're right saying that french is too verbose for rock music. I even wouldn't agree with your list of good rock bands that sing in french (I don't like Noir Désir). And though I'm not bilingual, my english is OK I guess, so I don't feel like a phony.

Rock and pop music were born with the english language. I think it has somehow influenced the dynamics of those forms of music. It's the same with opera : french opera is very contrived.

#26 04-08-2010 2:02pm

Pierre2

When I said I regret that so many french bands choose to sing in english, it's not  accurate. Many of these people have nothing interesting to say, and I prefer that they sing in english, it's easier for me not to pay attention. This includes Metal Urbain, whose lyrics are laughable, but the music is cool, and they were ahead of their time in some respect. I'm like you, a majority of my favorite songs are sung in english, and I prefer Gun Club to Noir Désir. Yet the songs that hit me the deepest are songs with great lyrics in my mother tongue (not that many artists though, I put Manset at the top of my list).

Last edited by Pierre2 (04-08-2010 2:08pm)

#27 04-08-2010 2:54pm

Pierre21
Website

Yeah I agree with you (strange to have that conversation in english by the way).

I'd also add that most french artists who sing in english are only spewing annoying clichés most of the time, because they're incapable of expressing something meaningful in a language that's not their mother tongue. Now I'm not saying I do better than them, but I humbly try...

Last edited by Pierre21 (04-08-2010 2:55pm)

#28 02-04-2011 12:18pm

sangeronimo

hi everyone!

resurrecting this thread to post my new album, Glacier Bay. i have been working on it for a while and it is obviously very mark-influenced. i've been making music for some time but am finally at the point where i feel comfortable sharing it with people. would love to hear anyone's thoughts!

here is the download link for the album: http://www.mediafire.com/?9dnvb9iux12d74o
here is my page on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bird- … 3189276456

#29 04-25-2011 11:52am

jobbl
Website

I know, I just signed up and I'm already promoting myself shamelessly here, even though that's against the rules. But if there's any place in the world to post these songs, than it's this board.

I discovered April shortly after I moved to Berlin, and it became a personal tradition that I listened two Sun Kil Moon, whenever I was on a train to my hometown. The way the endlessly long songs make time fly is just perfect for an eight hour train trip. The album and that time inspired me to write two songs, "Juli" and "1615", the former musically, the later lyrically.

You can listen to them here: http://soundcloud.com/hans-solo/sets/silence

If you know how google translator works or happen to spek German, this is my blog: www.hanssolo.eu

Thank you.

#30 04-28-2011 2:09pm

seven1082000

So i really liked Juli. Sounded great. The other stuff was pretty good as well. I enjoyed it.

jobbl wrote:

I know, I just signed up and I'm already promoting myself shamelessly here, even though that's against the rules. But if there's any place in the world to post these songs, than it's this board.

I discovered April shortly after I moved to Berlin, and it became a personal tradition that I listened two Sun Kil Moon, whenever I was on a train to my hometown. The way the endlessly long songs make time fly is just perfect for an eight hour train trip. The album and that time inspired me to write two songs, "Juli" and "1615", the former musically, the later lyrically.

You can listen to them here: http://soundcloud.com/hans-solo/sets/silence

If you know how google translator works or happen to spek German, this is my blog: www.hanssolo.eu

Thank you.

Since there is a shameless self promotion thread I might as well take this opportunity.

Prairie Fires on Soundcloud

and here is our facebook page if you like it and want to be a fan.

Prairie Fires on Facebook
I wrote the first three songs on the soundcloud site. I play guitar or pedal steel in the band. Alot of my songs start out with a heavy red house painters influence, then get filtered through the band. 30 miles was inspired by the live version of mark doing Neil Young's Albuquerque.

Hope you all enjoy it, or at the very least check it out. The recordings are only rehearsal recordings (all live into a lap top mic) so the quality isn't what I would want, but it's good enough to get a firm grasp on what we're doing. We've been described as Spiritualized meets whiskeytown with a hefty dose of the band and thrown in. We're doing the recording up proper in June, if people are intrigued I'll be sure to post something then.

Board footer