Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 11-25-2010 3:03pm

Gurkov

The movies

So, what movies do the Koz fans enjoy? smile

#2 11-25-2010 3:38pm

Charles
Website

Re: The movies

My favorites are Martin Scorsese (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas), Hal Hartley (Simple Men and The Unbelieveable Truth), and Coppola (Apocalypse Now and The Godfather Parts 1 and 2).

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#3 11-25-2010 3:51pm

Gurkov

Ah, nice choices! Henry Fool is one of my all-time favs. smile

I could go on and on about which movies I like the most, not sure where to begin... But as far as directors go, maybe Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, the Coen brothers, Aki Kaurismäki and of course Bergman, Sweden's finest.

In true Koz-style I'm afraid that all that stuff sounds pretentious, so I'd also like to point out that Wayne's World 2 is a true masterpiece (much better than the first one), and so is Airplane! smile

Last edited by Gurkov (11-25-2010 4:02pm)

#4 11-26-2010 2:07am

seepingthrough

Buffalo '66 was on PassThePopcorn film club recently so I watched that, definitely one of my favourite films now. Surely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#5 11-26-2010 2:50am

Charles
Website

I have all of Wes Anderson's films except Fantastic Mr. Fox. I'll also add Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and It's A Wonderful Life (it's the season for this one smile ), and second Allen's Play it Again, Sam, and to a lesser extent Sleeper.

#6 11-26-2010 6:35am

Gurkov

Yes, James Stewart is one of the greatest ever. I wonder if Koz is really into Clark Gable, or if he just liked the rhyme with 'cable'. smile

Vincent Gallo seems lika a crazy guy... Buffalo '66 is a good movie, and The Brown Bunny is kind of interesting too.

#7 11-26-2010 10:29am

JRS

My favourites are Vanilla Sky, Shop Girl and Almost Famous. Nothing else wink

#8 11-26-2010 1:54pm

Gurkov

Hehe, of course!

But are there any movies that can be said to match what the RHP/SKM/Koz music is about?

I watched "Moon" recently, and maybe you can see it as an illustration of what Mark described as "my black hole of hotel rooms and airports", haha! big_smile Also, Sam Brockwell kind of talks like Koz. smile

#9 11-26-2010 2:05pm

Charles
Website

A kid I went to school with has a cameo in almost famous. He's driving a VW bus and invites the two leads to the party with the "golden god" scene.

James Stewart is awesome. smile

I'll second both Airplane! movies, and must add Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein and Monty Python's Holy Grail. My three all-time favorite comedies.

#10 11-26-2010 2:25pm

JRS

The film 'Into the Wild' left a long lasting impression on me. I still think about it quite often, its sad that McCandless is now famous for all the wrong reasons and the pilgrimage to his 'bus' has become a right of passage for every soul searching teenager but there is something about the way freedom is portrayed that really fires a spark in me.

Plus, the soundtrack by Eddie Vedder is none too shabby either!

#11 11-26-2010 3:02pm

Gurkov

Yes, good comedy taste, Charles! I think his name was Ab. Ab Normal... "Life of Brian" should of course be added to that list.

Love "Into the Wild" too. I thought the scene with the Scandinavian couple by the river was a smart way of dissing those kind of "soul searchers". They claimed to be doing the same thing as McCandless, but were in fact his total opposite. Just getting their kicks for a while, and then going back to Stockholm for some mind-numbing work in a soul-less office building.

#12 11-29-2010 5:21am

Gurkov

And sadly enough, Leslie Nielsen has now passed away. sad

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley!

#13 11-30-2010 12:10am

Charles
Website

Just found out about that. sad

Any favorite TV Series? I've been rewatching episodes of my West Wing Complete Series collection, and it just reminds me of what a Great show that was.

#14 11-30-2010 1:38pm

Gurkov

I guess Six Feet Under is my favorite tv drama of all time. Doesn't get much better than that. I get the feeling Koz fans should like that show...

Otherwise it's just the old 90's shows, Simpsons, Seinfeld, Twin Peaks and maybe some episodes of Homicide. Not really following any new stuff. smile

#15 11-30-2010 3:01pm

Pierre2

"The Wire" is my favorite TV series. I liked "Carnivale" too, too bad it was ended prematurely.

Last edited by Pierre2 (11-30-2010 3:04pm)

Board footer