Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 01-14-2011 1:55am

Gurkov

eddie weather

someone's remark on miserable weather got me thinking of the ultimate koz weather. but that all depends on the song, i guess. some fallen autumn leaves seem to be a commonly conjured up image by people hearing his music, but that doesn't really rhyme well with beaches, typhoons and rare, blistering suns.

it's a fair guess that koz has, or at least rhp had, the most listeners "per capita" in sweden. this morning we had -17 (which is almost zero fahrenheit) here, but i'm hard pressed finding any snow songs in his back catalogue, 'cept maybe "evil".

does the weather in any way affect your daily (or weekly, or however often you listen to it) choice of koz music?

#2 01-14-2011 4:39am

seepingthrough

Re: eddie weather

Dragonflies?

"December's dark early morning sky"

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#3 01-14-2011 4:53am

Gurkov

yeah, that’s true! i’ve even hummed those lines during recent decembers. smile

not a snow song, though. wink

#4 01-14-2011 8:01am

Gurkov

that's what everybody who lives south of the northern guy they speak to say - "sure, the temperature is lower where you live, but it's so dry, you don't even freeze". but ok, as long as island people say it, i agree. smile but maybe i wouldn't when it was below -20 some weeks ago.

but yeah, i do feel a kind of eerie warmth, much like i imagine the weather in "vertigo". medicine bottle is deep south, but mostly it's sf. or on the road. or in ohio. but always t-shirt weather at least.

Last edited by Gurkov (01-14-2011 1:06pm)

#5 01-14-2011 11:31am

theriverman

the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes ....

but yeah, I definitely associate Mark's music with summer, warmth, humidity, more than ever with the albums from "April" onward.  The indolence and sensuality of heat.  girls in thin cotton summer dresses.

#6 01-17-2011 5:46am

Gurkov

doggie_diner wrote:

And how do you reckon ye have the most listeners per head?

How many people live in Sweden in comparison to, say, Ireland?

Do ye lack identity??

arr! i didn't realize ye olde eire only had half of sweden's population. 'tis true you learn something new everyday!

that said, i'd still list sweden among the top countries per capita. who is number one will probably remain a mystery.

and pardon my irish, i've only learned it from orson welles' character in "the lady from shanghai"...

getting any snow out there on your clipper ship? smile

#7 01-17-2011 11:07am

Gurkov

yes, and you all wear kilts!

and sure i know of the old irish language, i've heard it from those nice fellows in mynci's street preachers!

#8 01-18-2011 8:52am

susanm

Gurkov wrote:

someone's remark on miserable weather got me thinking of the ultimate koz weather. but that all depends on the song, i guess. some fallen autumn leaves seem to be a commonly conjured up image by people hearing his music, but that doesn't really rhyme well with beaches, typhoons and rare, blistering suns.

it's a fair guess that koz has, or at least rhp had, the most listeners "per capita" in sweden. this morning we had -17 (which is almost zero fahrenheit) here, but i'm hard pressed finding any snow songs in his back catalogue, 'cept maybe "evil".

does the weather in any way affect your daily (or weekly, or however often you listen to it) choice of koz music?

i was waiting for the january rains to get into a mood ,but looks they came earlier,dec.i guess alot people got alot of snow,i wanted to ask but was too shy, if anyone had any "and christmas trees were bright and full.and the sentiment of colored mirrored ornaments ,and the open drapes looked out on frozen farmhouse landscapes" photos to share?my favorite is when you take the photo from outside with the christmas tree showing through the window, i'd love to see some christmas/ snow pictures.   i like this have you forgotten video      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_PBDle … r_embedded

#9 01-19-2011 1:13pm

MathEquation

Sundays and Holidays

"Let the sad winter moon turn slow to my future. And the cool dark air cover me in my nearing bed."

"Sometimes I pick it up and play. Loosen and stretch it's ancient strings, until it sounds the way I feel."

Board footer