Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 03-12-2011 10:10pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

03/19/11 @ Daniel Street, Milford, CT (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 03-20-2011 7:31am

clarkgable

Re: 03/19/11 @ Daniel Street, Milford, CT (Mark solo)

Interesting Show...

Here's my take:

First, He played (I don't have the full setlist, and it's not in this order, this is all I can remember) sorry sad 

Anyways:

Australian Winter
Half Moon Bay
Third and Seneca
All Mixed Up
Alesund
Heron Blue
Like the River
Tiny Cities
(I think) Sam Wong Hotel
New Partner
Moorestown
Summer Dress

(Please add songs or correct me if I'm wrong).

The town of Milford, I found to be cold and unwelcoming.
I met a couple of nice people.

The venue was so small.  About 80 seats. 
Drinks were very reasonably priced.

Kath Bloom opened.  She was hard to take.   I left the room for a cigarette, in all honesty she was giving me a headache..  (no hard feelings)

Mark was in a strange mood tonight.

The place was silent.  There were absolutely no pictures being taken or texting or tweeting, and in all honesty it was just silent.

He commented on the town of Milford, saying not such nice things about it.

I remember some interactions with the crowd: 
Mark said he liked the silence except for someone whispering in the corner.
One man asked what tuning he's in, and they exchanged words quite unpleasantly.

Eventually Mark was saying A, B, C, D sharp and "F" - Fuc*! you.  Mark tried laughing it off and did, but you can see he was bothered by it for a few moments.

Mark played his guitar well.  Lots of tuning, even going off into Spanish-style improvisations between songs.

I really enjoyed that.

The sound was wonderful, and Mark kidded with the sound guy, "Matt" and brought him up on stage to tell him what we wanted to change with the sound.  I had met "Matt" outside smoking a cigarette before Kath Bloom.  Nice guy.  He told me he was a bit nervous, and I warned him Mark can be a little tough.  I was right. 

Other than the few happenings with crowd interaction, the crowd was silent and seemed to enjoy the show.  I think most people were seeing him for the first time, and most were local.

After this show, I feel and agree with a recently posted British article found on "sadreminders", that Mark really "is" playing for himself and does not care about the crowd or who goes to see him.

All and all, Mark was Mark and his music was spectacular.

Sorry about the setlist...
Please add, thanks for reading, and I hope your days and Nights spent with Mark Kozelek's music is as pleasing as mine.

@Mattorious

#3 03-20-2011 2:41pm

creetchio

Ditto on Mattorious, but I can add some more detail. Venue was ideal for seeing him playing nylon. Very small, crowd was silent, but mostly because there was a huge sign posted on the door requesting "No Talking" during the show, among the other usual warnings.

Mark said he had never heard of Milford until that AM. He asked if it was a 55 and over type place (which a lot of the audience was).

The unpleasant incident with the audience member went kind of like this:

INTERACTION
(between songs Mark is tuning)

Guy: What tuning are you in?

Mark: What tuning am I in. . . How can I answer that. Do you play guitar?

Guy: Yes.

Mark: Well, I bet you're not 1/10th as good as I am. So, it probably won't help to tell you what tuning I'm in, but OK, D# (etc. . . he names notes as he's tuning up) So, there you go, but tomorrow morning you're still gonna suck.

[audience is shocked and laughs awkwardly, Mark plays song, after the song is over polite applause and Mark starts tuning for next song]

Mark: I guess you want to know what tuning I'm going into now. . . D# (names notes, etc. . . ending with) F, Fuck You! Good fucking luck trying to do it pal.

END INTERACTION

It was honestly pretty unpleasant, I felt bad for the guy. But if you've seen Mark before or know his reputation you've got to be prepared to be shot down like that.

My brother shared the worst story of this kind with me relating to a show Mark did at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago last year.
After the show my brother was standing near the merch table and there was a young guy and his girlfriend there. Apparently this guy had just bought one of every item Mark had for sale.
Mark said to him: Wow you've gotta a pretty good pile there.

Guy said: Yeah.

Mark said: Are you one of those super fan types?

The guy awkwardly says: yeah.

Mark then looks at his girlfriend and asks: Is this your girlfriend?

Guy says: yeah.

Mark says: Oh, guys like you don't usually have girlfriends.

Guy is silent (presumably devastated).

Anyways, glad I dodged the insults!

Concert itself was great!

#4 03-20-2011 9:29pm

clarkgable

creetchio wrote:

Ditto on Mattorious, but I can add some more detail. Venue was ideal for seeing him playing nylon. Very small, crowd was silent, but mostly because there was a huge sign posted on the door requesting "No Talking" during the show, among the other usual warnings.

Mark said he had never heard of Milford until that AM. He asked if it was a 55 and over type place (which a lot of the audience was).

The unpleasant incident with the audience member went kind of like this:

INTERACTION
(between songs Mark is tuning)

Guy: What tuning are you in?

Mark: What tuning am I in. . . How can I answer that. Do you play guitar?

Guy: Yes.

Mark: Well, I bet you're not 1/10th as good as I am. So, it probably won't help to tell you what tuning I'm in, but OK, D# (etc. . . he names notes as he's tuning up) So, there you go, but tomorrow morning you're still gonna suck.

[audience is shocked and laughs awkwardly, Mark plays song, after the song is over polite applause and Mark starts tuning for next song]

Mark: I guess you want to know what tuning I'm going into now. . . D# (names notes, etc. . . ending with) F, Fuck You! Good fucking luck trying to do it pal.

END INTERACTION

It was honestly pretty unpleasant, I felt bad for the guy. But if you've seen Mark before or know his reputation you've got to be prepared to be shot down like that.

My brother shared the worst story of this kind with me relating to a show Mark did at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago last year.
After the show my brother was standing near the merch table and there was a young guy and his girlfriend there. Apparently this guy had just bought one of every item Mark had for sale.
Mark said to him: Wow you've gotta a pretty good pile there.

Guy said: Yeah.

Mark said: Are you one of those super fan types?

The guy awkwardly says: yeah.

Mark then looks at his girlfriend and asks: Is this your girlfriend?

Guy says: yeah.

Mark says: Oh, guys like you don't usually have girlfriends.

Guy is silent (presumably devastated).

Anyways, glad I dodged the insults!

Concert itself was great!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the reminder creetchio.  Yeah, that's definitely the way it went with the guy.

I think the guy had "good" intentions, it was just that silent in there.  smile

Oh, by the way, creetchio good job on the memory, but if you are teletyping from a recording of the show then I neeeed a copy.  LOL  smile

Yeah, Mark is definitely striking with the audience, a little too much, sorry to say.
I'm not going to get into, his "opposition" with the crowd,  I have too much respect for him.

Sorry about your friend and his girlfriend.

I just hope he keeps writing, I'd much rather him write more beautiful music to soothe me, and others, then share unpleasantries with him when all you're trying to do is let out your emotions in any way you can, beacause it "always" is an emotional event.

It was definitely an "experience" and I wish more for all who read these comments.

Cheers!

@Mattorious

#5 03-20-2011 11:30pm

MaxRussell

You know I bet if Mark went to a psychotherapist he really would be diagnosed with something, perhaps social anxiety, maybe depression, maybe bi-polar disorder.  The thing is with this audience he seems to want to have it both ways, like "Why aren't you saying anything," and when you say something he's like "shut up!"

It was like that again tonight, there was some uncomfortable interaction with a guy in the audience who after about the 3rd song asked him to turn it up.  Mark basically told the guy to fuck off.  So another 6 or 7 songs go by with no commentary, and then he's like "So somebody tell me something, what's going on?  Somebody break the ice!"  Which is a very bi-polar trait: he's asking for people to break the silence but when someone does he usually pisses all over them.

#6 03-20-2011 11:50pm

Michael7388

MaxRussell wrote:

You know I bet if Mark went to a psychotherapist he really would be diagnosed with something, perhaps social anxiety, maybe depression, maybe bi-polar disorder.  The thing is with this audience he seems to want to have it both ways, like "Why aren't you saying anything," and when you say something he's like "shut up!"

It was like that again tonight, there was some uncomfortable interaction with a guy in the audience who after about the 3rd song asked him to turn it up.  Mark basically told the guy to fuck off.  So another 6 or 7 songs go by with no commentary, and then he's like "So somebody tell me something, what's going on?  Somebody break the ice!"  Which is a very bi-polar trait: he's asking for people to break the silence but when someone does he usually pisses all over them.

Mark probably does have something, but who doesn't these days. I have seen him a handful of times since 2006 and he always insults the audience members to an extent; that's his shtick. The girlfriend jokes are a regular. It sounds like he may have become a bit carried away at the Milford show. As a fan, you have to go there realizing he is going to do say stuff like that. I've met Mark twice and I can honestly say he comes across as very humble, although perhaps a bit insecure. When he said you aren't 1/10 as good as me, I am sure it was said tongue-in-cheek, even if the fellow fan didn't realize that.

#7 03-20-2011 11:58pm

antrecords
Website

wtf

#8 03-21-2011 5:00am

Rollercaster

I don't know, from what I've seen of Mark live, I think he really does care about the audience. If its too quiet he gets nervous and comments on it, if its noisey he trys to interact. He's awkward on stage and tries to be funny and it usually back fires.... like the comments above - sounds awful! I would be surprised if he really wanted to offend this guy, probably thought he was being quick and funny and it came across really badly. He should leave the comedy aside and stick to the music smile

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#9 03-21-2011 6:45am

creetchio

Mattorious, SORRY, wish I had a recording of the show! Maybe someone else??? It would have been really hard to record it in that place because it was s o small you would have almost certainly got busted.

#10 03-21-2011 7:14am

BadSeed

I have seen literally hundreds of bands and performers play and never once seen anyone as big a dickhead as Mark Kozelek.

Last week I went to see Devin Townsend and the guy couldn't have been nicer and more appreciative if he tried. Stuck about afterwards talking away to folk.

Some of you people seriously want to have a look at yourselfs if you think this is acceptable behaviour and that it's to be expected. You seem to think cause the guy makes great music that it gives him the right to talk to people like shit. And then "ah well that's our Mark"

One day I seriously hope some guy pulls him up on it, and tells him to either shut his mouth and play his songs or if dares to tell anyone to "fuck you" again he is going to regret it. Because in my everyday life I wouldn't let anyone speak to me like that, let alone some nutcase with a guitar. They'd be due a smack.

#11 03-21-2011 7:37am

Gurkov

this old discussion again... thinking back, it's funny how he really has turned more grumpy over the years. i saw him three times in sweden during 1999 and 2000, and there was nothing of the kind. when did this actually become his schtick?

#12 03-21-2011 8:50am

MaxRussell

Gurkov wrote:

this old discussion again... thinking back, it's funny how he really has turned more grumpy over the years. i saw him three times in sweden during 1999 and 2000, and there was nothing of the kind. when did this actually become his schtick?

I'm not sure that it's "schtick" really, I think this is more or less his personality.  I think you are right about him getting grumpier over the years though.  The first shows I saw were back in 2003/2004, and I don't recall him being as acerbic back then.  I seem to recall him being a bit more jovial then; he seems to have become more bitter with his audiences now.  Maybe he needs a girlfriend, but then again maybe no woman could stand him.

#13 03-21-2011 9:53am

theriverman

MaxRussell wrote:

You know I bet if Mark went to a psychotherapist he really would be diagnosed with something

I've thought the same thing, I was thinking maybe Aspergers Syndrome.

I've been going to Mark's shows for more than 15 years, and over the past few years the insolence and insults to his audience have gotten to the point where they've started to really bother me (thankfully I've never been a target).  The "arrogant rockstar prince" act does not suit him at all.  The last time I saw him - last summer in Williamsburg - I actually left the show feeling kind of sick and depressed about how hateful he had been to some of the people who came to see him.  I do not think it's a joke or schtick, I think he genuinely thinks he's above just about everybody in the world.   It's sad because his music has been one of the most important things in my life for almost 20 years.  I actually skipped the tour this year, for the first time in over a decade, mostly because of the bad taste left in my mouth last time ....

#14 03-21-2011 11:05am

BadSeed

He does seem to think he some sort of genius on that acoustic guitar. Total prick of a man. Can't wait to someone puts him in his place. Although he'd probably just walk off the stage.

#15 03-22-2011 8:20pm

theriverman

BadSeed wrote:

Can't wait to someone puts him in his place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfD7agP1yxw

like this?

Board footer