Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#16 03-22-2011 8:38pm

kahoutek24

Re: 03/19/11 @ Daniel Street, Milford, CT (Mark solo)

theriverman wrote:
MaxRussell wrote:

You know I bet if Mark went to a psychotherapist he really would be diagnosed with something

I've thought the same thing, I was thinking maybe Aspergers Syndrome.

I've been going to Mark's shows for more than 15 years, and over the past few years the insolence and insults to his audience have gotten to the point where they've started to really bother me (thankfully I've never been a target).  The "arrogant rockstar prince" act does not suit him at all.  The last time I saw him - last summer in Williamsburg - I actually left the show feeling kind of sick and depressed about how hateful he had been to some of the people who came to see him.  I do not think it's a joke or schtick, I think he genuinely thinks he's above just about everybody in the world.   It's sad because his music has been one of the most important things in my life for almost 20 years.  I actually skipped the tour this year, for the first time in over a decade, mostly because of the bad taste left in my mouth last time ....

I've seen him a handful of times in SF, and he's always come across as very insecure - like he's constantly putting his audience down, his condescending attitude sounds like he's trying to compensate for his own low self-esteem.  That's too bad, cos I love his music but you're right - it's hard to deal with his insolence and insults - but on the other hand, would I love his music if he
wasn't so insecure?   I don't think so.

#17 03-22-2011 9:44pm

yoshimi

When he played Sydney last time he made a comment about "either you guys have to leave or I have to leave" to some people down the front who were squeaking their chairs or something.

Then later he asked us to talk to him and everyone in the crowd was "shhh"-ing each other. He didn't say anything else for the rest of the night, haha.

#18 03-23-2011 4:11am

BadSeed

theriverman wrote:
BadSeed wrote:

Can't wait to someone puts him in his place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfD7agP1yxw

like this?

Glen Danzig is known to be a bit of a tit as well, but I kinda feel sorry for him here, the fact he's up against a heavier younger guy that knew he was for punching him at some point, considering they've got a guy filming it.

But yes I think this type of thing would maybe make Mark change is ways

#19 03-23-2011 4:13am

prsurgay

Personally, I don't care for people asking such questions as  "what tuning are you in?"
I don't think the explanation above for his mental state is also really warranted.
It's a live show and his fans are some of the best behaved in the world! I understand he can be difficult but his caustic remarks can be shown at the irritation of banal discussion. He made comments as such on the euro tour but we must learn to accept that they may be shrouded in black humour.

Are we really so thin-skinned?
If so, then do we not play up to the dweeb / super-fan image that he is referring to?

Just my 2 penneth!

I await the backlash smile

Pete

#20 03-23-2011 4:29am

BadSeed

Yeah I think you see Mark as some sort of great superior being to yourself that you would let him piss on your kids as long as he did it playing Katy Song.

Don't take his shit man! Next time he is being a cunt, just tell him to shut up and play his songs.

#21 03-23-2011 6:10am

headsore_71

Maybe he resents having to tour more often to maintain his career, where in the past record sales may have allowed him to be more selective with his touring schedule. Also, he probably recognises that despite his behvaiour he can still fill most venues and until that changes why would he care.

#22 03-24-2011 10:31am

prsurgay

And on the subject of 'put-downs' on reflection I can see a massive amount of irony in his words...he is also self-decprecating and ribs himself!

Us guys can be too sensitive at times..

I stand by what I said though i don't care what fuckin key he's playing in!!

smile

#23 03-24-2011 11:34am

BadSeed

I definetely agree I cannot see why any one would want to shout out and ask what key he is in and what Steve Martin is like!, It's of no interest to anyone, that and shouting out random songs annoys me.

But I still say he is a horrible prick of a man

#24 03-24-2011 12:43pm

Michael7388

BadSeed wrote:

I definetely agree I cannot see why any one would want to shout out and ask what key he is in and what Steve Martin is like!, It's of no interest to anyone, that and shouting out random songs annoys me.

I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can say is that it's my belief that his on-stage persona is to be like that. If you ever meet him, which I am guessing you probably haven't...he is a very genuine, thankful and humble person. I had the opportunity to meet him twice, both times he was very friendly to my friend and myself. He signed stuff for us, thanked us and struck up conversations outside of music with us. He's not a horrible prick of a man. That's just a persona.

#25 03-24-2011 11:49pm

kahoutek24

Michael7388 wrote:
BadSeed wrote:

I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can say is that it's my belief that his on-stage persona is to be like that. If you ever meet him, which I am guessing you probably haven't...he is a very genuine, thankful and humble person. I had the opportunity to meet him twice, both times he was very friendly to my friend and myself. He signed stuff for us, thanked us and struck up conversations outside of music with us. He's not a horrible prick of a man. That's just a persona.

yeah I'd say he's both - (and I have met him a few times) he can be really abusive towards his audience - but then again, he can be nice - I don't think it's just his on-stage persona tho - he can be like that outside of a show too - he can be warm, friendly, self-deprecating, humble, self-effacing, but I've also seen him sensitive, funny (with a black sense of humor), intuitive as well...

#26 03-25-2011 4:18am

BadSeed

Michael7388 wrote:
BadSeed wrote:

Just keep telling yourself that, but Mark Kozelek hates you, and you know it. big_smile

Just because he was nice to you doesn't mean he's not a dick. There is much evidence to suggest he is a total baw bag.

#27 03-28-2011 6:35am

Web

BadSeed wrote:

Just keep telling yourself that, but Mark Kozelek hates you, and you know it. big_smile

Just because he was nice to you doesn't mean he's not a dick. There is much evidence to suggest he is a total baw bag.

Think of how Mark is when he's playing live. Always telling jokes, being rude. When you read interviews, talk to him in person etc, he seems much nicer. It really is a persona, and of course, he crosses the line at times - I just think you're being a little too fast, when you call him a prick of a man.

This path seems the blackest but I
guess it's the soonest.

#28 03-28-2011 7:22am

Saint Dan

...a lot of us here get the opportunity to listen to a fair few live shows of Mark's.

The bottom line is that he obviously has some premeditated half comedy lines to pull on the crowd, as there's a hell of a lot of duplication between banter.

The whole "not many girls here" "you're geeks" thing is as old as the hills and Mark's not the only guy I've seen saying the same at gigs.

Don't mess with the formula... Live show > not enough girls here / you're all interweb geeks > 6 months later live show comes out on limited to how many he can sell CD > 18 months later new CD comes out which sounds slightly different to the last one > live shows > not enough gi...

And you all love it.

That's why you're here.

#29 03-28-2011 10:47am

MaxRussell

Saint Dan wrote:

Don't mess with the formula... Live show > not enough girls here / you're all interweb geeks > 6 months later live show comes out on limited to how many he can sell CD > 18 months later new CD comes out which sounds slightly different to the last one > live shows > not enough gi...

And you all love it.

That's why you're here.

That's not a bad analysis, actually.  Only aberration I might acknowledge is that Admiral Fell Promises sounds pretty remarkably different than April, or any of his previous studio releases, in my opinion.

#30 03-28-2011 12:58pm

BadSeed

Yeah but he was just meaning Marks Live album selling formula.

I also like the vinyl editions with 1 extra live track on it:D makes me just want to through my money at him

Board footer