Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 03-23-2011 5:50pm

Dangerblade
Member
Registered: 09-23-2008
Posts: 5

Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Hey all

I'm trying to find out every single cover song that Mark has played live (with Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or as a solo artist), and was wondering if you guys could help me out, as my list is very short at the moment.

Albuquerque (Neil Young)
Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult)
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
Teen Age Riot (Sonic Youth)

I'm talking exclusively live and unreleased covers, so stuff he's covered in the studio or covered on his officially released live albums don't count.

Any help appreciated smile

Last edited by Dangerblade (03-23-2011 6:03pm)

Offline

#2 03-23-2011 6:45pm

theriverman
Member
Registered: 06-02-2006
Posts: 110

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Dangerblade wrote:

Hey all

I'm trying to find out every single cover song that Mark has played live (with Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or as a solo artist), and was wondering if you guys could help me out, as my list is very short at the moment.

Albuquerque (Neil Young)
Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult)
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
Teen Age Riot (Sonic Youth)

I'm talking exclusively live and unreleased covers, so stuff he's covered in the studio or covered on his officially released live albums don't count.

Any help appreciated smile


I've seen him do Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult and Keep On Lovin You by REO Speedwagon.  years back

Offline

#3 03-23-2011 6:46pm

theriverman
Member
Registered: 06-02-2006
Posts: 110

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

also cat scratch fever by ted nugent

Offline

#4 03-23-2011 6:51pm

MathEquation
Member
From: England
Registered: 03-02-2010
Posts: 60

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

I know of a few but there's more than likely quite a few more.

Love Ain't No Stranger (Whitesnake)
Jail Break (Thin Lizzy)
Whiskey In A Jar (Thin Lizzy)
War Pigs (Black Sabbeth)
When You Dance I Can Really Love (Neil Young)
The Green Manalishi (Judas Priest
Main Street (Bob Seger)
Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
And Keep On Loving You (Reo Speedwagon) Mentioned above by Riverman


"Sometimes I pick it up and play. Loosen and stretch it's ancient strings, until it sounds the way I feel."

Offline

#5 03-23-2011 10:01pm

Grumpy_Bear77
Member
From: Florence, SC
Registered: 08-28-2007
Posts: 107

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

The following list is compiled from my bootlegs:

Down Payment Blues by AC/DC
Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen
Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver
Feel Like Making Love by Bad Company
Moby Dick & Boogie With Stu by Led Zeppelin
In the End by Rush
I Saw the Light by Hank Williams
Leather & Lace by Stevie Nicks
Johnny on the Spot by Ween
Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Fever Dog by Stillwater
Fearless by Pink Floyd
If You're Going to San Francisco by Scott McKenzie
Longfellow Serenade by Neil Diamond
Linus & Lucy by Vince Guaraldi
Sail On by Lionel Richie

Offline

#6 03-24-2011 1:37am

Gurkov
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 01-07-2005
Posts: 421

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

when did he play that lionel richie song? smile

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhi1i … o1_500.jpg

Offline

#7 03-24-2011 5:16am

Grumpy_Bear77
Member
From: Florence, SC
Registered: 08-28-2007
Posts: 107

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Gurkov wrote:

when did he play that lionel richie song? smile

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhi1i … o1_500.jpg


Scala - London, England (06.09.04)

Offline

#8 03-24-2011 7:33am

Pierre21
Member
Registered: 01-10-2005
Posts: 664
Website

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Grumpy_Bear77 wrote:

The following list is compiled from my bootlegs:

...

Fearless by Pink Floyd

If you're thinking about the cover that the Painters played at the end of Golden, during the 2001 tour it's not FEarless, though it's been often listed as such.

It's Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart. You can find the lyrics here : http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rod+stewar … 17598.html

But he did play guitar on Fearless, as far as I know, with Retribution Gospel Choir.

He also played and sang a terrific Carpet Crawlers (Genesis) with RGC.

Offline

#9 03-24-2011 8:41am

sebbydee
Member
From: france
Registered: 12-05-2005
Posts: 118
Website

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Powderfinger (N Young) probably with the painters 96 and at the young's tribute a few months back...

Offline

#10 03-24-2011 9:24am

sg70471
Member
From: new orleans
Registered: 11-16-2004
Posts: 296

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

I know he played a couple or maybe one Lou Reed song at a Lou Reed tribute at SXSW a couple of years ago. Also, he has played several Neil Young tribute shows and am not sure all of them are covered above in other posts. One in canada last year and one in Battery Park several years ago.


And in my eyes, your smile

Offline

#11 03-24-2011 9:27am

seepingthrough
Member
From: Sunny Glasgow, Scotland
Registered: 01-30-2009
Posts: 413

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Yeah he has done Lou songs, he's done Caroline Says definitely.


Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

Offline

#12 03-24-2011 2:48pm

Grumpy_Bear77
Member
From: Florence, SC
Registered: 08-28-2007
Posts: 107

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Pierre21 wrote:
Grumpy_Bear77 wrote:

The following list is compiled from my bootlegs:

...

Fearless by Pink Floyd

If you're thinking about the cover that the Painters played at the end of Golden, during the 2001 tour it's not FEarless, though it's been often listed as such.

It's Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart. You can find the lyrics here : http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rod+stewar … 17598.html

But he did play guitar on Fearless, as far as I know, with Retribution Gospel Choir.

He also played and sang a terrific Carpet Crawlers (Genesis) with RGC.


I was referring to the RGC cover version featuring Mark

Offline

#13 03-25-2011 7:33pm

torch
Member
Registered: 10-21-2008
Posts: 73

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown) by Fleetwood Mac

Offline

#14 03-26-2011 8:56am

Gurkov
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 01-07-2005
Posts: 421

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

I don't think he/they played "Powderfinger" back in '96, but I'd love it if I'm wrong. smile

He did "Caroline Says pt 2" with the Painters back then though. And I remember reading here at the forum that he played "The Kids" at that Lou Reed tribute show.

Offline

#15 03-26-2011 2:41pm

antrecords
Member
From: Midwest
Registered: 04-22-2005
Posts: 10
Website

Re: Looking to put together an exhaustive list of live covers

Pierre21 wrote:
Grumpy_Bear77 wrote:

The following list is compiled from my bootlegs:

...

Fearless by Pink Floyd

If you're thinking about the cover that the Painters played at the end of Golden, during the 2001 tour it's not FEarless, though it's been often listed as such.

I could swear I've heard him quote exact riffs from Fearless (of course certain tunings can dictate certain overtones).

Last edited by antrecords (03-26-2011 2:42pm)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB