Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-08-2011 7:08am

lament
Site Owner
Website

07/08/11 @ Lincoln Hall, Chicago, IL (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 07-08-2011 10:14pm

seven1082000

Re: 07/08/11 @ Lincoln Hall, Chicago, IL (Mark solo)

Wow, so that was a very odd show. Very covers heavy. He Played New Partner (which I was thrilled about cause I'm a big Bonnie Prince Billy fan), 1 or 2 AC/DC covers, All mixed up, 2 or 3 modest mouse covers. But things got weird when he started making up words to songs from the desert shore release. At first I thought it was kinda cools, but after the first time he did it it became embarrassing.

I don't have a set list but songs I remember him playing (in no particular order)

River
New Partner
Carry me Ohio
Duk Koo Kim
All Mixed Up
Up to my Neck
Truckers atlas
Church of the pines
Huron blue
Third and Seneca
Australian winter
and there were five or six more songs I'm blanking on at the moment.

Over all a good show, but it was a bit awkward.

#3 07-08-2011 10:29pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Wait.. he played Desertshore songs?

#4 07-08-2011 10:54pm

seven1082000

Yeah, or at least that's what he said they were. I haven't listened to the desert shore release enough to pick them out. But he was talking about how he was producing the desert shore album and was coming up with vocals for the songs in the studio, then he'd play the song. It was really bizarre. And he did three of them.

#5 07-08-2011 11:13pm

Cruiser64

I can't do the order, but the following songs were played:

Summer Dress
All Mixed Up
River
Up to My Neck
Carry Me Ohio
Duk Koo Kim
Tiny Cities
Trucker's Atlas
Heron Blue
Moorestown
Like the River
Alesund
Half Moon Bay
Third and Seneca
Church of the Pines
Australian Winter

He also did two songs that will be on the next Desert Shore release.  Desert Shore wrote the music and he made the lyrics up in the studio stream of consciousness.  They are both light and fun.  One namechecks Randy Quaid and refers to crying babies, one talks about him and his girlfriend (Diane?) watching Jaws on tv.

He opened with a song I was unfamiliar with about the soul of misery?  And then there was a long song in the middle that seems to be new about losing touch with friends and living near the mountains in November.  Sounds like it could have been on April.  And he wrote a song backstage about summer in Chicago that he played, some of it light, some of it about visiting his uncle (Joe?) here as a kid for three months one summer. 

It was two hours fifteen no opening act.

Last edited by Cruiser64 (07-09-2011 11:29am)

#6 07-09-2011 10:35am

Sentient

Cruiser64 wrote:

He opened with a song I was unfamiliar with about salt of misery?

Yeah this was "Thirteen" by Johnny Cash.  I have never heard him play this before--not sure if it is a new cover, I could just be out of the loop.  Anyway, I thought it was awesome, probably my favorite song of the night.  Actually I REALLY hope I can hear it again soon somehow.

I really enjoyed this show.  There were lots of covers that I had never heard him play live, he played for a long time, he played two songs that I really wanted to hear, and, well, I probably didn't have many expectations going into the show for whatever reason. 

He did seem to rush through some instrumental passages in many of the songs...almost as if to get the songs over with.  If he hadn't played 2.25 hours I might have cared about that though.  Also, the annoying dudes who just HAVE to shout stuff out in between songs were extra-annoying tonight.  Actually, I shouldn't really say "extra-annoying", since I have never really been bothered by this at previous MK concerts.  For some reason, last night there were several guys who just said the most unfunny, cringe-worthy, embarrassing stuff possible.  Oh well. 

Overall a really good show.  I still can't help dreaming that some day he will tour with a full band again though.

#7 07-09-2011 10:52am

Cruiser64

Yeah it was late when I posted so I didn't comment on the jackasses.  Mark can be prickly under the best of cirumstances, and I was afraid that the entire show was going to go south when that group (who were in the first and second rows) kept up with the hecking/witless banter.  Apparently the woman was a bartender at a lame Irish bar in Lincoln Square (Grafton) and she was with a bunch of guys who work at the Starbucks across from her bar.  The woman made a comment about Mark not being from the midwest, he corrected her, and when she later asked where in the midwest specifically, he referred her to Wikipedia.  She left shortly thereafter  -- after making faces at her friends all throughout Half Moon Bay.  Then there was the douchebag who asked Mark if he would be upset to know that he had cried through most of New Partner.  Um.  At one point Mark asked if Bob Dylan gets asked these kinds of questions between songs.  To which one replied, "yeah but he can't hear."  Ouch.  But it mostly stopped, and Mark seemed to be enjoying himself as the night went on.

#8 07-09-2011 12:16pm

BadSeed

I usually give Mark a lot of criticism for the way he acts on stage, but if I had idiots like that shouting out stupid questions I'd give them some abuse too.

would like to hear him doing Thirteen, written by the great Glen Danzig smile

Last edited by BadSeed (07-10-2011 3:13am)

#9 07-09-2011 3:05pm

Sentient

BadSeed wrote:

would like to hear him doing Thirteen, written by the great Glen Danzig smile

Touche!  That is indeed a Danzig song!

#10 07-10-2011 5:01am

mrdaj78

Set List, In order, looked like this -

01 Thirteen
02 New Partner
03 River
04 Half Moon Bay
05 "1st New Desertshore Song"
06 "Sunshine In Chicago" ("A song I just wrote backstage.")
07 Third and Seneca
08 (A GORGEOUS) New Song
09 Australian Winter
10 Up to My Neck In You
11 All Mixed Up
12 Carry Me Ohio
13 Like the River
14 Church of the Pines
15 Heron Blue
16 Trucker's Atlas
17 Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
18 Moorestown
19 Summer Dress
20 Alesund
-ENCORE-
21 Duk Koo Kim
22 "2nd New Desertshore Song"

This was my second time getting to see Mark, and dude does not disappoint. A beautiful night overall, despite the already mentioned super-odd/conversational crowd and the obnoxious drunk girl next to us in the balcony who spilled her beer on my shoes in between professing her love to Mark loudly between songs. hmm

Any chance anyone failed to honor Mark's wishes and recorded things? Those new ones were beautiful.

#11 07-10-2011 11:18am

Make Like Paper 420

mrdaj78 wrote:

Any chance anyone failed to honor Mark's wishes and recorded things? Those new ones were beautiful.

i second that! looks like a damn fine setlist if there were ever one.

anyone?

#12 07-11-2011 9:18am

PJINGY

Thanks for posting the setlist! This was a fantastic show! Much better and longer than his show last year at Old Town School of Folk (although I like that venue better). I had my camera on me ready to record, but unfortunately I respected Mark's request. I really wish I could get a copy of the opening cover "Thirteen" and his new "Chicago" song. Fingers crossed that they appear on a live CD soon!

I honestly enjoyed Mark's wry attitude toward the crowd. My favorite moment was right at the beginning... He walks out on stage, sits down, greets the crowd and then says, "hey, can you turn the lights down? I don't wanna have to look at this dude right here all night." I laughed my ass off right into this first song on that one!

Cheers!

#13 07-14-2011 3:37pm

Make Like Paper 420

any tapers?

#14 02-27-2012 11:28am

lament
Site Owner
Website

mrdaj78 wrote:

Set List, In order, looked like this -

01 Thirteen
02 New Partner
03 River
04 Half Moon Bay
05 "1st New Desertshore Song"
06 "Sunshine In Chicago" ("A song I just wrote backstage.")
07 Third and Seneca
08 (A GORGEOUS) New Song
09 Australian Winter
10 Up to My Neck In You
11 All Mixed Up
12 Carry Me Ohio
13 Like the River
14 Church of the Pines
15 Heron Blue
16 Trucker's Atlas
17 Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
18 Moorestown
19 Summer Dress
20 Alesund
-ENCORE-
21 Duk Koo Kim
22 "2nd New Desertshore Song"

This was my second time getting to see Mark, and dude does not disappoint. A beautiful night overall, despite the already mentioned super-odd/conversational crowd and the obnoxious drunk girl next to us in the balcony who spilled her beer on my shoes in between professing her love to Mark loudly between songs. hmm

Looks like song 8 above is going to be Young Love from the new album.

#15 02-28-2012 9:44am

PJINGY

PJINGY wrote:

I really wish I could get a copy of the opening cover "Thirteen" and his new "Chicago" song. Fingers crossed that they appear on a live CD soon!

Called it!

Board footer