Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-01-2011 11:33pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

08/14/11 @ St. Canices Cathedral, Kilkenny, Ireland (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 08-15-2011 2:02am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Re: 08/14/11 @ St. Canices Cathedral, Kilkenny, Ireland (Mark solo)

2 words..... Truly Disappointing. Least enjoyable of the dozen or so times I've seen him over the years. I'll post the setlist later but this was the last night and headline show of the Kilkenny Arts Festival but I feel they were shortchanged with problems with the microphone for vocals on the first half dozen songs to the being pissy about how horrible the gig in Belfast had been the night before was just tiresome.
At least the Belfast gig had a really good setlist and Mark telling us that we looked like cardboard cut-outs and that it was disappointing for him to have the whole front row of seats empty (take that up with the organisers after the event coz you know what Mark there was fuck all we could do about it)
As always the night was not without its moments (no he didn't play that...) like the version of River which I really liked and Church of the Pines which seems to work so much better than on disc.
Perhaps because 2 people who had never seen him before came along with me and a similar showing to Union Chapel last year would have been awesome I just felt deflated. i think there may have been a curfew which might have meant that he had to cut his set short a bit but hey maybe the dynamic needs to be changed as in if a number of the crowd aren't enjoying it and Mark more often than not doesn't seem to be either than what is the point?

Setlist in order was
New song 1
Australian Winter
Moorestown
Tiny Cities
Like the River
Chicago song
Heron Blue
The Tour Song
River
Half Moon Bay
Mistress
New Song 2

Encore
Natural Light
Church of the Pines

I agree that the setting is fantastic indeed but I saw Low play there 2 or 3 years ago and that in my opinion was the venue and the sound and performance amalgamating into a sublime whole (verbal diarrohea or what?) which I didn't feel Mark even came close to the other night. Just my opinion though...

Last edited by Concern Charity Fundrazer (08-16-2011 12:45am)

#3 08-15-2011 2:33pm

Rollercaster

I traveled from Dublin to Kilkenny for this show and certainly wasn't disappointed by the venue - a beautiful old Cathedral ontop of a hill overlooking Kilkenny City. It was almost erie walking up to the venue, passing through old graves with a big moon set behind the Cathedral. Congrats to the organisers for the set-up inside, the lighting and stage added to an already amazing setting.

Mark came on stage in his usual awkward manner to a big reception from the crowd. He only had one classical guitar for the night which he played cross legged. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I actually thought the sound was fantastic, both the vocals and guitar were at good volumes and with just the right amount of reverb.

Some of the songs I can remember - 13, Summertime, Australian Winter, Moorestown, Third and Seneca (?) Truckers Atlas, New song about Chicago, New song about the tour, New Song (Natural Light) Mistress, Heron Blue, Like the river......

Maybe it was because of the formal setting but Mark was definetly more awkward than usual at first. I think its important for Mark to build rapor with his audience and in a setting such as a Cathedral it's difficult. When there's no banter going, he makes the audience feel guilty for not being more receptive to his crap jokes. So he came out with insulting lines like 'You look like Card board cut-outs'. At one point he started flirting with this guy's girlfriend and pointed out that the boyfriend was the typcial nerdy fan. He called another guy ugly and pointed out that there used to be good looking girls at his gigs. ...Oh dear.

All that said, I was blown away by his guitar skills and how effortlessly he can play complicated pieces and sing at the same time. I was also amazed how Mark completely immerses himself in each song - eyes closed, singing with emotion.

Towards the end of the night there was a pretty good atmosphere in the cathedral. Fans were shouting requests and heckling, and I think everyone saw the funny side of his somtimes insulting jokes.

Unfortunately I think Mark was only getting going by the time he had to finish. I was really disappointed not to hear more songs from AFP and April, in particular Alesund.

Hightlites for me - Like the River, Mistress, Natural Light.

This gig may not have been everyone's cup of tea but I would def go back for seconds. The man's a genius.

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#4 08-16-2011 1:41am

BadSeed

See when Mark is insulting everyone and calling them ugly, is he aware of what he currently looks like. I mean his days of the long flowing hair are long gone.

Also has there ever been another artist who gets as many bad reviews, from his own set of fans on a fan website.

#5 08-16-2011 2:07am

Saint Dan

True - "that internet" and the message board come in for regular verbal assaults at live shows. I'm sure none of us have an issue with that - we're all old enough to take it in good faith and take no offence.

It's perhaps worth reflecting once in a while that we're the ones who have enough respect to sit and watch him play without chatting or using mobiles, and go home after with a tour CD and poster under our arms.

I will point out that I have never yelled out a request though - only for fear that my voice will waver mid shout and I'd look quite foolish.

#6 08-16-2011 3:20am

BadSeed

I'm not one of those folk who love the sound of their own voice that feel the need to shout out either. They tend to annoy me as well.

The man does seem to get bad reviews everywhere, from the casual reporter to the dedicated "geek" fans. At some point he must consider, What is it I'm doing wrong

#7 08-17-2011 3:53am

seepingthrough

The quality of his music is inversely propotional to the amount of guitar wankery he pulls off. AFP is nothing compared to Down Colorful Hill or Rollercoaster. Ignoring the HE LOOK I'M AMAZING AT GUITAR stuff even the lyrics are horrible compared to what he was writing in the prime of the 4AD era. "You are my sun" may have the worst lyrics he's ever written. He was a genius and is no more...He should go back to rhyming nice with nice.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#8 08-17-2011 6:23am

highbrow

seepingthrough wrote:

The quality of his music is inversely propotional to the amount of guitar wankery he pulls off. AFP is nothing compared to Down Colorful Hill or Rollercoaster. Ignoring the HE LOOK I'M AMAZING AT GUITAR stuff even the lyrics are horrible compared to what he was writing in the prime of the 4AD era. "You are my sun" may have the worst lyrics he's ever written. He was a genius and is no more...He should go back to rhyming nice with nice.

Amen!

#9 08-17-2011 6:35am

Lightfoot

seepingthrough wrote:

Bullshit.

#10 08-17-2011 6:45am

seepingthrough

highbrow wrote:

Amen!

Lightfoot wrote:

Bullshit.

I like posting here.

#11 08-17-2011 6:46am

Rollercaster

I agree, songwriting on earlier albums was far better. ‘Rollercoaster’ in particular would be one of my favourite albums.

After Songs for a blue guitar, I think Koz’s songwriting took a nose dive. I couldn’t get into Old Ramon or Ghosts (bar a couple of songs). He started writing very long & repetitive songs – in my opinion.

That’s why I’m happy with the new sound for April and AFP. I still wouldn’t put them in the same league as the earlier albums but would rate them highly.

#12 08-17-2011 6:50am

Rollercaster

Check out a nice cover of 'Like the River' by a singer/songwriter, James Vincent McMorrow.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yp3BForu4

#13 08-17-2011 6:53am

seepingthrough

Rollercaster wrote:

Check out a nice cover of 'Like the River' by a singer/songwriter, James Vincent McMorrow.....

Guy looks like a grown up version of the kid from deliverance with the same goat voice as James Blunt....he's going places in todays music world. About Mark's songwriting skill going down, it's all relative. I'd much rather listen to the stuff of his I don't like when given the choice between it and any of the crap avid pitchfork fans listen to.

#14 08-17-2011 10:17am

BadSeed

Yup that is standard "singer songwriter" bullshit right there.

All got that same crappy generic voice, that you can't tell them apart. No one like a Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Kozelek, Nick Drake, where you they have a slightly more unique sounding voice.

Plus he says Kozelek as Ko-Zelek; hat wearing bearded tit.

Yeah Ireland produced the Damien Rices and Glen Hansards. Seeing if they can gradually whisper even quieter with each release.

I think Marks music pretty much just the same as it's always been, just a different style. Although the last album, the songs don't stand out the same as they once did. Lots of unmemorable fannying about on the guitar bits.

#15 08-17-2011 3:41pm

Rollercaster

doggie_diner wrote:
seepingthrough wrote:
Rollercaster wrote:

Guy looks like a grown up version of the kid from deliverance with the same goat voice as James Blunt....he's going places in todays music world. About Mark's songwriting skill going down, it's all relative. I'd much rather listen to the stuff of his I don't like when given the choice between it and any of the crap avid pitchfork fans listen to.

I would have more time for a goat. None of ye understand how hellish having to live with whingey acousto-drivel has been over the past decade.
This country was rife with it, suddenly the lads who didn't make the football team were taking up acoustic guitars because one can't get laid playing soccer, except in England.
They were all Irish those singer-songwriters and I sincerely apologise on behalf of my fallen, dwarfish and diseased country(men).
Doesn't showing any attention to this crap negate the appreciation of music in general.
I hate music so I can pass comment on whatever the fuck I want, yeah.

Apparently Daniel O'Donnell has done an incredible cover of Down colourful Hill... but I'm too scared to post here for fear of back lash.

Board footer