Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-01-2011 11:33pm

lament
Site Owner
From: Bay Area
Registered: 09-24-2003
Posts: 1,699
Website

08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

Offline

#2 08-03-2011 3:49pm

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

I'll be at this show. Looking forward to it! smile

Offline

#3 08-14-2011 2:16pm

klaher
Member
Registered: 04-17-2008
Posts: 19

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Great show in Belfast despite sound problems.  Will have a review soon but this I think is the setlist:

Up to My Neck in You
13
Australian Winter
Carry Me Ohio
Heron Blue
Sunshine in Chicago (?)
A new song that started in Finland and ended up in ... Belfast
Summer Dress
Bad Boy Boogie
Trailways
River
Mistress
Half Moon Bay
Whiskey in the Jar
Get Along Home Cindy
Glenn Tipton
Natural Light
Summertime (?)
New Partner

There might have been something else, not sure.  Met him briefly afterwards and shook his hand and thanked him for the show.  He said "thanks man" but there was a look of disgust on his face.

Offline

#4 08-14-2011 4:05pm

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

This show was a very mixed bag. MK was really in fine form, his voice sounded great and as always, the guitar work was intricate and beautiful. I really enjoyed the setlist and thought that MK did the most he could in his power to help the audience enjoy the night. The Whiskey in the Jar cover was great and the little improv song from Finland to Belfast was fun!

I was at the last MK show in the Black Box (the show that eventually become 7 Songs Belfast) and really enjoyed the ambience and atmosphere of that particular gig. However, last night it couldn't have been more the opposite. The crowd were, by and large, disrespectful - from the group of people from Dublin constantly ordering certain songs to be played, to the couple who just decided to get up and stomp through the entire room mid-song and leave, to finally the guy who thought it was ok to sit on the stage and when MK asked him to not do that, he also thought it was ok to say "fucks sake.. wise up" at the performer!

The atmosphere was hampered by people coming in and out of the room and the blaring disco music next door coming into the venue. I don't want to sound like a buzzkill kind of person but I felt the venue didn't take into consideration the nature of the performance, a lot of the audience were not overly interested and the combination of this lef to a very awkward gig altogether. I felt sorry for MK and was kind of embarrassed that the crowd carried on in such a fashion. To make matters worse, when it finished I overheard someone saying "he was in a bad mood tonight" which is so unfair. MK was in fine form, and as I've said, tried to make the concert as upbeat as possible considering it was a Saturday night. So while the music was spot-on, the venue definitely let MK down.

klaher - I think the look of disgust was probably MK's disgust at the whole evening, and had very little to do with you. Unless you're the guy who was sitting on the stage? wink

Offline

#5 08-14-2011 4:30pm

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Oh also, in the Finland... Belfast song, one of the lyrics went something like "Jolie Holland.. that girl really annoys me" which I thought was pretty funny!

Offline

#6 08-15-2011 12:20am

klaher
Member
Registered: 04-17-2008
Posts: 19

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Fair point, plath, about the crowd and the venue, not the best I will agree.  We were at the very back of the venue, so maybe less aware of the behaviour of the crowd.  Had forgotten the couple who left mid-gig and the guy sitting on the stage!  How these people get away with it I don't know.

Offline

#7 08-15-2011 4:03am

BadSeed
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 03-18-2007
Posts: 338

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

See this is still Belfast in Ireland, which is wrong!

Offline

#8 08-15-2011 5:38am

klaher
Member
Registered: 04-17-2008
Posts: 19

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Offline

#9 08-15-2011 7:35am

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

BadSeed wrote:

See this is still Belfast in Ireland, which is wrong!

It isn't "wrong". The political situation in Northern Ireland allows dual nationality where you can claim British, Irish or indeed Northern Irish nationality. It's subjective depending on the personal beliefs of the individual. I think that the people quibbling over this have very little time on their hands. As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.

Offline

#10 08-15-2011 8:07am

klaher
Member
Registered: 04-17-2008
Posts: 19

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

A somewhat different review:

http://iheartau.com/2011/08/mark-kozelek/

Offline

#11 08-15-2011 9:00am

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

klaher wrote:

A somewhat different review:

http://iheartau.com/2011/08/mark-kozelek/

A simply terrible review, but what more can be expected from a scenester publication like AU. I wouldn't give this much attention. The reviewer seems more concerned with name dropping and being "witty" than critiquing the gig. I love how the one song he actually discusses is Carry Me Ohio... probably the only song he knows.

Offline

#12 08-15-2011 11:10am

BadSeed
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 03-18-2007
Posts: 338

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

plath wrote:
BadSeed wrote:

See this is still Belfast in Ireland, which is wrong!

It isn't "wrong". The political situation in Northern Ireland allows dual nationality where you can claim British, Irish or indeed Northern Irish nationality. It's subjective depending on the personal beliefs of the individual. I think that the people quibbling over this have very little time on their hands. As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.


The political situation in Northern Ireland may very well allow its citizens to claim whichever nationality they choose but that has nothing to with the fact that Belfast remains a city of Northern Ireland.

Please don't think I'm one of those people who get all upset over Londonderry or Derry. But to me saying Belfast is in Ireland, is like saying Glasgow is in England. Factually incorrect.

Also I don't see anything wrong with that review. It's how your average normal person would see the gig. Generally a man mumbling through a good set of songs making them all sound same. Whilst showing his disgust for his audience, while they lap it up.

Last edited by BadSeed (08-15-2011 11:15am)

Offline

#13 08-15-2011 12:54pm

plath
Member
From: Ireland
Registered: 09-02-2009
Posts: 42

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

BadSeed wrote:
plath wrote:
BadSeed wrote:

See this is still Belfast in Ireland, which is wrong!

It isn't "wrong". The political situation in Northern Ireland allows dual nationality where you can claim British, Irish or indeed Northern Irish nationality. It's subjective depending on the personal beliefs of the individual. I think that the people quibbling over this have very little time on their hands. As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.


The political situation in Northern Ireland may very well allow its citizens to claim whichever nationality they choose but that has nothing to with the fact that Belfast remains a city of Northern Ireland.

Please don't think I'm one of those people who get all upset over Londonderry or Derry. But to me saying Belfast is in Ireland, is like saying Glasgow is in England. Factually incorrect.

Also I don't see anything wrong with that review. It's how your average normal person would see the gig. Generally a man mumbling through a good set of songs making them all sound same. Whilst showing his disgust for his audience, while they lap it up.

1. As a citizen of Ireland, I consider Belfast to be a city in Ireland. I think for the sake of categorisation on a Mark Kozelek message board, we can leave complicated viewpoints aside and let it be. You are just trying to rise annoyance here for no reason.

2. Considering you weren't actually at the concert that was reviewed, your points regarding it don't make sense. The reviewer was unnecessarily harsh and doesn't really talk much about the music played, rather than fill the word count with name-dropping and "hip" commentaries. The fact is MK didn't mumble, he was in fine form - as both reviews here have stated. You know, from people who were actually at the gig. Unlike yourself.

Last edited by plath (08-15-2011 12:55pm)

Offline

#14 08-15-2011 1:16pm

seepingthrough
Member
From: Sunny Glasgow, Scotland
Registered: 01-30-2009
Posts: 413

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

The forum should go back to arguing about which boring song from AFP you prefer when you're having a "vinyl and wine" evening.

Here's the review you mentioned dd, http://i.imgur.com/63zKX.jpg (1995 melody maker)

As for that AU review,

...crafting some of the most ethereally beautiful music to have ever been associated with the word ‘indie’.

stopped reading right there.


Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

Offline

#15 08-15-2011 1:32pm

Pierre2
Member
From: France
Registered: 08-16-2009
Posts: 223

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

plath wrote:

As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.

No, this isn't. This is interesting for people who are not irish and for which the situation in Ireland is difficult to understand. Sometimes I hear about some political events in the news, but I have no clue what all of this means for "real" irish people. I've had an irish colleague for about a year, and I realize that we talked a lot about sports but never about politics, probably because I didn't dare to go on that ground. For example I know that the irish rugby team is unified. I'm assuming that the team is encouraged both by the north and the south. Does it mean that there exists some kind of irish nationalism that transcends the political division ?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB