Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#16 08-15-2011 3:23pm

plath

Re: 08/13/11 @ Black Box, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Mark solo)

Pierre2 wrote:
plath wrote:

As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.

No, this isn't. This is interesting for people who are not irish and for which the situation in Ireland is difficult to understand. Sometimes I hear about some political events in the news, but I have no clue what all of this means for "real" irish people. I've had an irish colleague for about a year, and I realize that we talked a lot about sports but never about politics, probably because I didn't dare to go on that ground. For example I know that the irish rugby team is unified. I'm assuming that the team is encouraged both by the north and the south. Does it mean that there exists some kind of irish nationalism that transcends the political division ?

Yep, you're right about the Irish rugby team. Because it isn't a partitionist group, there are no real nationalist or unionist affiliations with the team, whereas with the Republic of Ireland, people in the North who are from a nationalist background would support them, and a unionist backgrounded-person would support the Northern Ireland football team.

I meant that arguing over the title of this thread was pedantic by the way! smile

It is a very complicated situation and I think it is best resolved by letting the individual consider themselves whatever they want to: Irish, Northern Irish or British. It's very much an individual decision. I consider myself Irish but my neighbour may not!

#17 08-16-2011 1:36am

BadSeed

plath wrote:
BadSeed wrote:
plath wrote:

It isn't "wrong". The political situation in Northern Ireland allows dual nationality where you can claim British, Irish or indeed Northern Irish nationality. It's subjective depending on the personal beliefs of the individual. I think that the people quibbling over this have very little time on their hands. As I am someone who is FROM the region in question, I take no offence to Belfast being defined as located in Ireland or Northern Ireland. It's kind of embarrassing how pedantic this is.

The political situation in Northern Ireland may very well allow its citizens to claim whichever nationality they choose but that has nothing to with the fact that Belfast remains a city of Northern Ireland.

Please don't think I'm one of those people who get all upset over Londonderry or Derry. But to me saying Belfast is in Ireland, is like saying Glasgow is in England. Factually incorrect.

Also I don't see anything wrong with that review. It's how your average normal person would see the gig. Generally a man mumbling through a good set of songs making them all sound same. Whilst showing his disgust for his audience, while they lap it up.

1. As a citizen of Ireland, I consider Belfast to be a city in Ireland. I think for the sake of categorisation on a Mark Kozelek message board, we can leave complicated viewpoints aside and let it be. You are just trying to rise annoyance here for no reason.

2. Considering you weren't actually at the concert that was reviewed, your points regarding it don't make sense. The reviewer was unnecessarily harsh and doesn't really talk much about the music played, rather than fill the word count with name-dropping and "hip" commentaries. The fact is MK didn't mumble, he was in fine form - as both reviews here have stated. You know, from people who were actually at the gig. Unlike yourself.

Ooft such hostility.

My point about the review, wasn't just about the gig in Belfast. To someone who has never heard Mark before that is exactly how it would come across. The casual listener would see it is a man that looked bored to death plodding his way through his own setlist.

As for the Irish thing, I think you have missed the point on what I have said about 3 times now. No one is arguing over which identity you choose to be or who supports the Irish rugby team etc But we'll leave it at that.

Last edited by BadSeed (08-16-2011 1:51am)

#18 08-18-2011 8:53am

Cruiser
Website

definitely a mixed gig for me. not as good as 2007s which was brilliant but not a total disaster either. the sounds problems were a little annoying but i think it gave him something to talk about early on and get him going. the improv song came soon after which was pretty funny. i thought he was on quite good form, complaining about things yes, but doesn't he always lol. the noise outside the room was quite annoying, why was there even an event on?
the song choice wasn't bad. loved the stuff of the new album but the style doesn't fit the full band or older material really. the version of river was awful. he played it strummed in 07 and it blew me away.
his playing skills and voice can't be denied though. my friend kept saying how good his voice was.

as for those reviews i can see why AU didn't really get why the crowd were so rapturous. well for me i clap and cheer after each song because i want them to feel appreciated. it's not often we get to see overseas artists so regardless if the song was good or bad i'll give a good reception otherwise they'll probably not bother their arse coming again. i think it was a lot more packed than 2007 too, and being a saturday night more people were drinking etc so definitely a different vibe.

so anyway, the guy just needs to strap on an electric guitar again for his next tour tongue

# there's an angel by the ocean, I miss... #

#19 08-19-2011 5:13am

Jebus Sabes

#20 08-19-2011 5:23am

Cruiser
Website

Jebus Sabes wrote:

thanks.

i just remembered my mate was pretty gone, went up and shook his hand at the end of the night then hugged him lol. then told me the 'guys a legend but looks like shit close up' tongue

# there's an angel by the ocean, I miss... #

#21 08-19-2011 7:28am

BadSeed

Hahaha

nice to see another good review for the Master.

Board footer