Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-01-2011 11:34pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

08/11/11 @ Union Chapel, London, England (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 08-02-2011 11:17am

JRS

Re: 08/11/11 @ Union Chapel, London, England (Mark solo)

I'm going to this, 3rd year in a row now!

#3 08-08-2011 12:47am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

I see that you can win a pair of tickets for this at wwwmarkkozelek.com and you could also have won a pair of tickets to Field Day too....who knew?

#4 08-08-2011 2:48am

Saint Dan

...and any idea for the support for London too.

( Have tickets and should be going unless you lot of mentile hooded Landan Koz fans go on a burning and looting spree after )

#5 08-11-2011 4:56pm

JRS

Here's the setlist;

13 (Desertshore?)
Get along Cindy
Australian winter
Summertime
Like the river
River
Half moon bay
Mistress
Gold....? Park (Desertshore)
Moorestown
Sunshine in Chicago (Tour song)
Bristol - extended from Tuesday gig included verses on London, Denmark, Finland. 
Heron blue
Alesund
Church of the pines
Katy song

Natural light
Diane (Desertshore?)
Third and Seneca 

Another good show, Mark was in a very chatty mood. Talked about everything from the rioting to a guy called Martin (who was there tonight) who apparently played a big part in the early RHP days. It wasn't as busy as last year, the upper seating areas were empty. Marks guitar playing was excellent and apart from forgetting his setlist at the start the songs flowed well. The merchandise stall had new tour DVD for £20 but no vinyl. All in all I enjoyed it, I was starting to get a bit fidgety by the end due to the rather uncomfortable pews!

#6 08-11-2011 10:10pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

13 is a Danzig cover.

#7 08-12-2011 1:11am

Saint Dan

Having been to Manchester on Monday and London last night, it seems like I saw two different performers.

London was so much better than the Manchester gig. The sound was brighter and louder, and yes, the lights were left on.

I'm really starting to get into these 10pm finish gigs though. Must be my increasing years. I'll be asleep next time I see a band that doesn't come onstage until 11pm.

London, see you in August 2012 then.

#8 08-13-2011 2:39am

mopeyfrog

Mark appear on stage and kicked off with 13. Then he stopped. He had forgotten his setlist and sent a vintage roadie type to recover it. He joked that he had installed a code lock on the door to stop "internet geeks" from nabbing it and posting it online "like, two and a half hours after the show". If Mark really wants to stop the scourge of fans showing interest in him, he had better prohibit pens and paper, as well as cameras. I am sure said nerd would much rather join him walking pensively around an airport/street/hotel room 2.5 hours after a show. In black and white.

As writ elsewhere, the new version of River is really good. They highlight was probably Mistress, especially when Mark broke into his (near?) fallsetto near the end. He didn't go for the really highnote as he does in the official acoustic version of the song, but this is to be excused I guess. This was dedicated to Martin from the RHP days. I was glad he played Church of the Pines. This has probably proven to be my favourite song off AFP and the version was good but that great echoy revrb bit on the way to the chorus on the album version was noticably absent. Again, to be excused.

After proving his virtuosity on AFP and playing up to black n white moodiness with the film, perhaps all that is left for Koz to do is to betray his career to date and lighten up. He said he never previously wrote much on the road, that it was his friend Owen (Casiotone guy, presumedly) who convinced him to give it a try. It wasn't just the two funny tour songs, though. The Desertshore stuff had a lightness about it, probably attributable to his 'turn up and sing what I think of on the spot' approach.  The first one he played, in particular was great....a happier near relative of Void.

I am not sure if the new song 'Gold...? Park' referred to in the setlist was Desertshore or not. I can't remember Mark introducing it as such and it the lyrics didn't really have an improvised feel about them...especially the closing lyrical reflections on 'young love'. This could be the only evidence that Mark's next album won't be full of whimsical rib ticklers!

At any other Koz gig, him referring to London and England as 'depressing' would seem the ultimate case of pot/kettle/black...as in depressing. Not this one.

Last edited by mopeyfrog (08-13-2011 11:18am)

#9 08-13-2011 3:05am

BadSeed

To be honest I don't know what possesses anyone to take a pen and paper to a gig and write down the setlist.

But I like how is curiosity gets to him and he clearly reads this forum, he must be disgusted.

#10 08-13-2011 4:03am

seepingthrough

My guess would be this Martin guy is Martin Aston (Not Aston Martin), the guy who got one of Mark's demo tapes from Mark Eitzel and passed it onto Ivo at 4AD.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#11 08-13-2011 4:43am

BadSeed

Ooft Mark awards you 10 geek points for that bit of information

#12 08-13-2011 9:24am

seepingthrough

What's the prize for most points?

#13 08-13-2011 9:54am

BadSeed

It's got to be a 1 track vinyl of a version of Void. Not even a good version, just him muttering his way through it, to the point he doesn't even finish it, just gives up near the end.
But it's hand numbered, by Mark, only one copy made.
Front cover is a black and white picture of a drain. Vinyl is coloured grey.
Before it's posted out to you, Mark will fling it against his living room wall in an act of his sheer contempt for you.

You'll get the first one but eventually he will release a hundred of them in special black vinyl version.

Last edited by BadSeed (08-13-2011 9:55am)

#14 08-13-2011 11:04am

seepingthrough

BadSeed wrote:

It's got to be a 1 track vinyl of a version of Void. Not even a good version, just him muttering his way through it, to the point he doesn't even finish it, just gives up near the end.
Before it's posted out to you, Mark will fling it against his living room wall in an act of his sheer contempt for you.

You'll get the first one but eventually he will release a hundred of them in special black vinyl version.

I'm salivating at the thought of how much money it will go for on ebay.

#15 08-13-2011 1:40pm

JRS

BadSeed wrote:

When is this released?? I'm there man, I'm there (with my notebook so I can note down everyones serial number for my database) :0)

Board footer