Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-01-2011 11:35pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

08/08/11 @ St. Anne's, Manchester, England (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 08-08-2011 1:13am

Saint Dan

Re: 08/08/11 @ St. Anne's, Manchester, England (Mark solo)

...anybody know who the support is for tonight ?

#3 08-09-2011 12:35am

Saint Dan

...no reviews yet ? OK, I'll bite...

On entry to the church there was Kozelek's merch table. The new DVD was for sale at £20 ( with free Live at Union Chapel CD ) alongside a few plain SKM black shirts and some CD's. All were £10 and included a CD copy of Nights LP which was bundled with the Nights Of The Passed Over book a while back. There was also a tour poster, I suspect it may have been an older one though. Didn't get a close enough look.

To answer my own question, I think there was no support. I arrived at 8pm ( doors 7:30pm ) and Kozelek took to the stage at 8:30pm ( show ended around 10:15pm )

The room was lit only by a light over the stage area which Mark had turned off, and sat in the increasing darkness. He started with his cover of Thirteen, then rattled through a setlist which wouldn't be out of place on any date during the past few years tours.

The set was punctuated by the usual Koz-isms, though he seemed to be in pleasant and relaxed mood. He returned for an encore which mostly consisted of unknown material - I suspect it's the Desertshore stuff he's been doing lately.

He also played an interesting rearrangement of River ( oops - cheers Jamiel ).

Generally, it was difficult to feel too attached to the show. By 9:15pm the room was in darkness except for the light near the entrance of the church and  with the occasional sound of drinks being spilt. It was a lot like watching a film in the dark in the front room whilst the girlfriend bumbles around in the fridge in the kitchen.

A comment i'm sure you'll see a lot here soon, but he really needs to turn up the volume. Playing in churches and such is a great idea to make an audience behave, but even my dog couldn't of heard half of what he played it was that quiet.

Just trying to rack my mind for a rough setlist, in no order... 13, Glen Tipton, Michigan, Carry Me Ohio, Truckers Atlas, Mistress, 2 or 3 Desertshore songs, Last Tide, Heron Blue, Church of The Pines, Third & Seneca, Alesund...possibly Moorstown too.

Last edited by Saint Dan (08-12-2011 1:04am)

#4 08-09-2011 1:20am

Saint Dan

...and the setlist was ;

Glen Tipton
Moorestown
Tiny Cities made of ashes
Heron blue
Like a river
Half moon bay
Get along home, Cindy
Church of the pines
Natural light
New Song
3rd and Seneca
New Song
Alesund
Mistress

Carry Me Ohio
New Song
...and I think there was one more new song and River towards the end. I'll edit the post when I remember properly...

Last edited by Saint Dan (08-09-2011 6:03am)

#5 08-09-2011 5:47am

Jamiel

I agree with the above posts. The re-arranged song was not 'Michigan', but 'River' from 'Old Ramon', which was the highlight for me, and I think there were two new songs after 'Carry me Ohio', and I thought he played 'Like the River', but do not remember 'Last Tide', unless it was an intro tease, but the setlist seems right to me other than that.

As said by Saint Dan the lack of light made the audience get more distracted as the room fell into darkness, with what light there was from the back it meant you could see more of the rows in front of you and Mark was in almost complete darkness. A few people walked out, one saying that 'They may as well have stayed home and listened to a CD.'

I like Mark's individual ways of playing live, and often sit with my eyes closed, but last night it was just a bit too unfocussed for the audience and after the first hour the atmosphere really fell away.

The set list also seemed to lack focus, the first half worked well, but there didn't seem to be any of the extended songs like 'Tonight in Bilbao', 'Void' or 'Duk Koo Kim' around which the set has been anchored in previous shows I have seen.

That all sounds quite negative, and it wasn't a bad gig, 'River' really was a highlight for me, 'Glen Tipton' and 'Tiny Cities' and 'Carry me Ohio' were really good too, and 'Third and Seneca' is such a lovely song to hear live. It was the first time I have taken my partner to one of his shows, and she really enjoyed it.

Perhaps his 2009 Manchester show, and last year's Union Chapel shows have set such a high level to follow that anything less than utter brilliance seems a let down, and although last night was not 'utter brilliance' it was a good gig, and also in a lovely venue. Perhaps just a few candles, or a torch might have raised the atmosphere a little.

Thank you to Mark for coming over to England, 'braving the riots', and taking some hard earned 'Pounds' back home with him. Hope he comes back soon.

Last edited by Jamiel (08-09-2011 12:09pm)

#6 08-09-2011 6:05am

Saint Dan

...ooops, yep, my mistake. Cheers Jamiel. Got the setlist slightly messed up, but edited now.

#7 08-09-2011 8:52am

Leonard Cohen Afterworld

Saint Dan,

To answer a couple of your points:

(i) notwithstanding the promise/threat of "special guests" printed on the ticket, there was no support act;

(ii) the posters on sale were from the 2009 tour.

I concur with many of the valid comments expressed by both Saint Dan and Jamiel.

That was a marginally disappointing audience with Mister Kozelek, to be honest, particularly as the venue promised so much (especially to those of us who were fortunate to see him perform at St Philips Church in Salford two years ago).

Well, if he wants to prevent people from filming his gigs, then performing in almost total darkness is an extremely effective tactic!

After coming on, he complained a few times about the 'distance' between himself and the audience (and invited a few to go and sit nearer the altar in a "Jim Jones" moment) but then proceeded to alienate himself from the majority of the crowd by vanishing into the self-induced murk.

I also thought that his vocals were not mixed loud enough, which also dimmed the atmosphere somewhat.

As someone who favours his RHP songs over the SKM material, I always yearn for him to sing more gems from the RHP repertoire.....but that's just a personal cavil.

An evening in his company is never a wasted one but this one wasn't the most memorable of his visits to Manchester.

On the way out, I decided to purchase a copy of the new DVD, principally so that, in due course, I can remind myself what he actually looks like....

#8 08-09-2011 9:54am

lament
Site Owner
Website

doggie_diner wrote:

@ LAMENT

WHY NOT SET UP A SEPERATE FORUM SECTION FOR GIGS

AND BELFAST IS NOT IN IRELAND, IT'S IN NORTHERN IRELAND

THANKs

This is the gigs section. And your capslock key is broken.

#9 08-09-2011 9:56am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Ha ha that last comment about the DVD reminds me of a story about the band Tangerine Dream who often used to perform behind a curtain so the audience could only see silhouettes....it then came to light that the band were billed to play two different cities in 2 different countries at the same time and the music was live at one venue and transmitted to the other. The band were a fairly unknown non-descript ensemble so not even sure if the imposters would have been picked out in a line-up.

#10 08-09-2011 10:43am

theclouds

I agree with almost every point. I'd hoped not to leave disappointed, but it felt like a missed opportunity. Everything was in place, but there was something tangibly missing.

Having nothing to focus on, be it Mark or a Guitar, made for an unrewarding experience. As another that favours his earlier work, it was almost taunting to ask for multiple requests (of which many were made, though not by myself) only to play non-descript new material to what seemed like, at best, polite applause. I also took my girlfriend for the first time, and she's a fan of RHP, Idaho, AMC etc but was simply unable to stay awake, and I could hardly blame her. Trying to maintain interest in so many songs that failed to pass muster was exhausting. After a fine 'half moon bay', everything just seemed to go downhill. There was always hope for a Katy Song (or anything off Bridge/'coaster) but Mistress just got lost in the monotony. Any atmosphere went with it.

I've always loved Mark's music in all guises, but talking to other people outside afterwards, it seemed pretty clear there was a lot of indifference. Maybe it was the lights, the set, I don't know. He seemed in pretty good spirits (though I'm not sure the "too many white faces" remark went down too well!) and the venue was undoubtedly stunning.

For whatever reason, it just didn't work. At all.

#11 08-09-2011 12:20pm

DaveC

Well I was sat on the floor in front of Mark and actually wrote down each song as he played so i can guarantee this is accurate:

Thirteen
Glenn Tipton
Moorestown
Tiny Cities
Heron Blue
Like The River
River
Half Moon Bay
Get Along Home Cindy
Church of the Pines
Natural Light
(new song)
Third and Seneca
(desert shore song)
Alesund
Mistress

Encore:
Carry Me Ohio
(new song)
(new song)

#12 08-09-2011 2:38pm

seepingthrough

doggie_diner wrote:
lament wrote:
doggie_diner wrote:

@ LAMENT

THANKs

What I mean is a seperate part of the homepage that isn't cluttered with just ''post your setlist here''
no one even comments on half of these shows, the forum is hard enough to plough through as is.
Secondly, it's obvious to everyone here that the forum has actually dwindled in quality, constant spamming and no personal message section.
Thirdly, I'll decide when my keys are broken.
Furthermore, Belfast is in Northern Ireland, you dig?

WE DEMAND THE PM SYSTEM BACK AND SOME DECENT SPAM FILTERS. WE'RE MAD AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#13 08-10-2011 1:45am

Rollercaster

doggie_diner wrote:
lament wrote:
doggie_diner wrote:

@ LAMENT

THANKs

What I mean is a seperate part of the homepage that isn't cluttered with just ''post your setlist here''
no one even comments on half of these shows, the forum is hard enough to plough through as is.
Secondly, it's obvious to everyone here that the forum has actually dwindled in quality, constant spamming and no personal message section.
Thirdly, I'll decide when my keys are broken.
Furthermore, Belfast is in Northern Ireland, you dig?

Doggie - who pissed in your Corn Flakes this morning?!!

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#14 08-10-2011 3:44am

Rollercaster

On another note - having seen the setlist, I'm really looking forward to seeing Koz in Kilkenny this Sunday. The setlist looks great (bar Moorestown... not a fan of that one) and particularly can't wait to hear the material from AFP.... especially Alesund. Heres hoping he's in good form!

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#15 08-10-2011 4:00am

Jamiel

Looks like we were lucky that the show was on Monday in Manchester/Salford, the news reports of the looting on BBC News 24 last night (Tuesday) and this moring are from St.Anns Street and the A56 next to it, right outside the venue.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamiel (08-10-2011 4:01am)

Board footer