Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 01-29-2012 7:22am

lament
Site Owner
Website

01/31/12 @ First Church in Cambridge Congregational, Cambridge, MA

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 01-29-2012 2:39pm

ZoomBackCamera

Re: 01/31/12 @ First Church in Cambridge Congregational, Cambridge, MA

The description on the website says Mark will be playing in support of Admiral Fell Promises and the new Desertshore album. Hopefully there are a few extras thrown in. As much as I enjoy All Mixed Up, Moorestown, Down Through, and so on, it'd be nice to hear some other songs from the back catalogue.

#3 01-30-2012 6:46am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

It would have been fantastic if he'd had Phil and Chris from Desertshore with him as I'm sure it would have been brilliant to have piano as backing for new tracks and some of the old RHP classics like Drop and so on. The loneliness of the guitar-playing solo artist,as seen on the DVD,could have been allieviated by this.....

#4 02-01-2012 5:26am

aphonik
Website

Reposting a slightly updated version of the rushed and rambling review I just wrote on the Sad Reminders Facebook page:

It was a great show, and I loved that he ended it with Trailways, which has been echoing in my head all morning. I really love that song. When he came out for the encore he asked the audience what we wanted to hear, which elicited shouted responses for dozens of different songs. Then he asked a girl in the front row what she wanted to hear, and after a minute of silence he asked her if she even knew any of his songs (in a friendly, amused way). Eventually she said that it was her friend's birthday (I think), so she let her friend suggest a song, which I assume was Duk Koo Kim, because that's what he played next, although he said he couldn't remember all the lyrics. After a minute or two of finding the right notes he began to play the music flawlessly and forgot the lyrics at a few points, which he asked the audience for help. But he did an amazing job with it considering he hadn't played it in so long. I'm pretty sure he dedicated "Send In The Clowns" to the girl whose birthday it was.

It was a really lovely performance, perfect venue, and very intimate (almost completely dark other than the flickering candle on stage), similar in feel to his show at the same church earlier last year. The only drawback was not being able to hear much of what was said between songs (blame it on my bad hearing perhaps). I did recall one amusing anecdote (perhaps not amusing for Canadians) where he said that his girlfriend asked him why he wasn't practicing for the tour, and he said something to the effect of "it's only Canada" (so why bother practicing, I guess, although I'm sure he doesn't actually hate Canada).

Also interesting that he seemed to play probably 75% new songs, or songs I was not familiar with (much of them very specifically about touring life, which leads me to believe that's the theme of an upcoming album). All very good songs, and even a few with comedic touches (strange but effective). At the start of the show, his voice sounded a bit hoarse and he complained of having to adjust to the dry and cold Boston weather, but he did an admirable job and sounded great throughout the set. The touring lifestyle is clearly very hard on him but after a performance like that I wish he would tour every month. (I've seen him now 4 times and this was probably the best.)

So that's my long, rambling review.

(It's possible that some of the songs I didn't recognize were from the new Desertshore album, which I haven't yet picked up, but plan to order today.)

#5 02-01-2012 6:55am

aphonik
Website

Also, is it me, or did he open the set with a cover of Danzig's "Thirteen"? It sure sounded like it, but I am not entirely clear.

Other songs I remember off the top of my head (these are the ones I recognized, and not in order):

Thirteen (Danzig cover)
Glenn Tipton
Half Moon Bay
Third and Seneca
Down Through River (I'm an idiot and just remember hearing the lyric "down through..." so naturally my mind chose the wrong one. I should know because these songs sound nothing alike. Anyway.)
Australian Winter
Heron Blue (beautiful to hear this live played in a church)
"Sunshine In Chicago" (?)
"Bristol, Bristol" (?)
Duk Koo Kim
Send In The Clowns
Trailways

EDIT: I googled "Mark Kozelek Thirteen" and came up with this review from a show he played last summer in Bristol, England, and he also opened that show with a cover of the Danzig tune, so apparently I wasn't hallucinating.

Reading that review also reminds me that he played a song called "Sunshine In Chicago," because I distinctly remember hearing that lyric, and (quoting directly from the above review) "he even performed an impromptu song about Bristol – supposedly based on his last visit two years ago – with the memorable lines 'Bristol Bristol, with all the cobbled streets / Bristol Bristol with all the missing teeth'." So yeah, that was one of the aforementioned comic touches.

Last edited by aphonik (02-03-2012 9:07am)

#6 02-01-2012 8:37am

lament
Site Owner
Website

Yeah actually if you search the forum for Danzig, you'll see a few posts from last year's shows.

#7 02-02-2012 9:27pm

ZoomBackCamera

aphonik pretty much covered the setlist, but for a little added clarification, here's what I had (jotting the songs down as Mark went along):

Thirteen
Glenn Tipton
New song
New song #2 - Sunshine in Chicago
Half Moon Bay
River
New song #3 - lyrics involved something about his pet cats and a lemon tree
New song #4 - about "songwriting woes" and very enjoyable
New song #5
Australian Winter
Heron Blue
New song #6 - lyrics involved something about frogs croaking
New song #7 - lyrics involved something about crack cocaine, with a really tremendous/slightly ominous guitar part in the middle
New song #8 - largely instrumental
Third and Seneca
Finland, Finland ("Everybody's white / they're all riding bikes")

Encore:
Duk Koo Kim
Send in the Clowns
Trailways

I'll post my overall thoughts on the show tomorrow when I have more time to write.

#8 02-03-2012 8:49am

MaxRussell

Wow -- he played 8 new songs??  Sounds like a trip to the studio is in the works.

#9 02-03-2012 10:12am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Some I'd guess are from Drawing of Threes

#10 02-03-2012 11:22am

ZoomBackCamera

It might not have been 8 songs, could have been 7 or even 6. But it sure felt like 8.

I've listened to Drawing of Threes a fair bit, and I'm 99% sure he played nothing from that album, unless it was one of the mostly instrumental songs. He certainly didn't play Diana, Mercy, Randy Quaid, or Vernon Forrest (someone in the audience called out a request for Diana and he initially didn't even remember that he recorded a song with that name).

#11 02-06-2012 8:07pm

Aqualula

Hi...I'm the girl whose birthday I was celebrating with my friends and their 2 daughters at the show.  That was the second time I'd seen Mark at the First Church, plus 2 at the MFA with Rob (this time was a surprise gift from my friends as I didn't know he was back in town).  I did request Duk Koo Kim and then he dedicated Send in the Clowns to me...that was amazing...  I didn't know he covered that song but, also very cool that I have the sheet music to that song at home as it was the first song I learned many years ago when I was taking vocal lessons...  So, really, really great Birthday Surprise for me!!!  Thanx to my friends and Mark too...  I loved his show, as always, his new music and the new Desertshore stuff and his On Tour DVD is great too...  Oh, and he made me laugh when he said something like, "Boston is so cold...and dry...a lot of buildings, concrete...and people walking around carrying cellos"...funny guy...

Last edited by Aqualula (02-07-2012 6:50pm)

Board footer