Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 05-03-2012 7:49am

highbrow

Mark Kozelek performs on the Jimmy Fallon show oct 8!?!?

Backed up by the roots?

#2 05-03-2012 2:01pm

elusive pimpernel

Re: Mark Kozelek performs on the Jimmy Fallon show oct 8!?!?

He's gonna slow jam the news

#3 05-03-2012 8:05pm

Orangebookbag

I don't get it.

#4 05-04-2012 5:11am

ZoomBackCamera

http://www.caldoverderecords.com/tours.html

Pretty cool and definitely somewhat strange to me. I think he'd do best to play his most memorable (and accessible) material if he's serious about making new fans, but I doubt that would happen. I can see him rocking the crowd with Lily & Parrots...

#5 05-05-2012 6:50am

Pierre21
Website

Good that he gets some TV exposure. He'll play one of the funny ones for sure.

#6 05-05-2012 4:38pm

doggie_diner

Good gig. I wish him well.

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

#7 10-05-2012 8:31am

pfloydman

Looks like this is coming up on Monday. I kind of can't believe it. What do you think he'll play? I'm really curious, because I think the songs on "Among the Leaves" are dog poo compared to his earlier work, yet he may be pressured to play something from the "new album." It also will have to be something relatively short, upbeat, and "mainstream-y." If it's off "Among the Leaves" I bet it's "Sunshine in Chicago" which I will find very disappointing. If it's an earlier tune, then I would guess something off AFP, maybe an abbreviated "Half Moon Bay." Personally, I'd like to see him just play one of his better tunes, maybe "Have You Forgotten" or "Void." Wonder if he'll heckle Jimmy Fallon and ask the guys in the front rows to switch out with hot girls, haha.

21 with nothing hanging over you
i want nothing else

#8 10-05-2012 10:26am

lance

@Pfloydman Really? Dog poo? I was pretty scared to even buy Among the leaves after all the bashing reviews on here. Then I read the Amazon reviews(all good), as well as a few other here and there(all decent), so I said eff it, I buy all the other things he does...I think it's really a great record. For me, it's better than Admiral, not that it's a bad record, but you have to be in the mood for it. 10 minutes minor key classic scales blazing, aren't as catchy to my ears as the new record. Uk Blues is one of his best I think. What didn't you like about specifically?

#9 10-08-2012 11:24am

pfloydman

The key word is relative. Relative to earlier works, I consider "Among the Leaves" to be mostly...dog poo, with the exception of a few songs such as "Young Love" and the first few minutes of "Elaine" until it turns into a completely different song. But, different types/styles of music appeal to different people. Whereas you like "UK Blues," that song doesn't appeal to me at all. I laughed the first time I heard it, and it probably goes over well live, but it's not something that appeals to my emotions or that I would want to hear again. I also don't think it's particularly representative of the real Mark Kozelek music that brings everyone to this site. Same with "Sunshine in Chicago." Overall, "Among the Leaves" is lyrically weak - too literal in many places, too mundane. As evidence, Mark changed up the words to some songs when I saw him last week, showing that the songs probably weren't ready to be recorded when he recorded them. It's OK to write lyrics quickly if they're quality lyrics, but if they're not, then it just looks like a rush job. I also think several songs were basically just pieces put together and not smoothed over -- see the aforementioned middle section of "Elaine" which has no resemblance to the beginning or the end. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it, then I'm glad you found something you like.

Looking forward to seeing what he plays tonight!

21 with nothing hanging over you
i want nothing else

#10 10-08-2012 1:53pm

sg70471

My guess is he will play Mistress with Chris from Desertshore

And in my eyes, your smile

#11 10-08-2012 4:54pm

Rollercaster

Yeah, I reckon he'll go for something accessible like Mistress or Katy Song. But you never know with Koz, he might play a song he's just written because he thinks it sounds great! Honestly, I hope it goes down well, he deserves more recognition.

'Well pardon my birth i just slipped out'

#12 10-08-2012 7:22pm

ZoomBackCamera

I should have tried to go to this, but I woke up this morning and was too tired to get in line for standby tickets, which don't even guarantee you entry to the show. I am definitely curious as to what he chooses to play, kinda hoping it won't be something from the new album, but we'll see!

#13 10-08-2012 10:36pm

ZoomBackCamera

Gotta say, 'The Moderately Talented...' was an interesting choice to play. Definitely wouldn't have been my first. Mark was looking pretty sporty. Jimmy was holding what looked to be ATL on vinyl, what gives?

#14 10-08-2012 10:44pm

walleum

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com … ate-night/
"The Moderately Talented Yet Not So Attractive Middle Aged Man" + "Mistress" w/ The Roots !

" And keep an eye out later this week for an exclusive backstage performance from Sun Kil Moon!"

Last edited by walleum (10-08-2012 10:46pm)

#15 10-08-2012 10:47pm

lightsnowfalling

I'm recording it on TV as I write this, will watch tomorrow.

As for choices of songs, I understand why he would pick something from SKM, namely from his new album, and then something from the back catalogue of RHP. I have no idea why he picked 'the moderately talented young woman,' though. To me, that's one of the weakest on the album. There are much better songs on Among The Leaves.

It was nice to see Mark with an electric guitar again, though! Mistress was pretty cool. I guess now people wanting to discover his music can check out both of his projects. Smart, tactical move on his part.

Overall, I don't think the performance was that great. You could tell he was nervous on his TV debut. I think he messed up the lyrics to the first song. He said 'moderately talented OLD woman' at first.

Fun to see him on TV when I was shaking his hand just 3 days ago.

Last edited by lightsnowfalling (10-08-2012 10:47pm)

Board footer