Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 09-21-2012 3:11pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

09/21/12 @ Scottish Rite Theatre, Austin, TX (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 09-21-2012 4:32pm

admiralfell

Re: 09/21/12 @ Scottish Rite Theatre, Austin, TX (Mark solo)

Headed to this tonight. I hear that this one sold out.  Anyone else joining?

I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it.

#3 09-22-2012 7:47am

admiralfell

Quick update - set list to come

Mark played for almost 2 hours, no encore. He was in a great mood and joked with the audience, flirted with a few ladies fishing for song requests. He did play "miss my heart" and two additional new songs that were both incredible along similar lines. (more heartfelt, less jokey). For RHP material, he took on a request for Mistress and it sounded great. On top of that, he also played Trailways.

More to come on the set list when i get home.  Great show, great venue (old Scottish Rite theater with a classic backdrop of pillars and columns.

I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it.

#4 09-22-2012 9:37am

blunderdog

I really enjoyed the show last night. The banter was unbelievably good.
Wow on 'Missed My Heart'. Whoa.

Always neat to see how skilled he is with that guitar. It's seems second to his voice sometimes, but when you watch him play on stage you can't help but appreciate his ability.

#5 09-22-2012 2:18pm

lance

My vague(but decent) recollection of the Setlist of Austin's Scottish Rite Theater Sept 21st:

Glenn Tipton
You are my sun
Heron Blue
Sunshine in Chicago
Natural Light
Half Moon Bay
Misled my Heart
Get Along Cindy
Four Fingered Fisherman
Trailways
Carry Me Ohio
Mistress
Moorestown
The Moderately Talented......
The Bird has a Broken Wing
New song about his Grandfathers funeral and his sisters Divorce
Track Number 8
Black Kite

He was great, not at all the A-hole that some people have said he was. Last Time I saw him was in Ferdale Michigan at the Magic Bag about 10-12 years ago.

#6 09-22-2012 2:35pm

lance

Oh, one of the best things about the show...being able to grab the last CD of "Nights"(I never bought the book) from the people selling the cds there.  I wish he would of done more songs from Among the leaves...I'm sorry, I thought that it was a great record, I really did. I think it's better, maybe not better, but more listenable than Admiral Fell Promises... Because for me, I have to be in the mood to play the whole record, as some of the 10 minutes classical guitar jams, and the minor keys of most of the songs, are listenable, but only when you're in the right mood. Among the Leaves, I play straight thru every time. The only songs that I think are meh, are Black Kite and King Fish, but that's just my taste. When people say the album is "forced" or "his singing is bad" or the songs "aren't memorable" or his lyrics are "bad", I can't help but totally disagree. I seriously think that this is as good as April. And there are 17 songs. To make most of the 17 songs good is pretty hard to do.

#7 09-22-2012 8:12pm

ZoomBackCamera

Thanks for the reviews, everyone. Glad to hear the new songs are being well-received, sounds like he's already plotting out a new album. I've been waffling about whether to see him again since I saw him earlier this year in Boston where he debuted about 8 songs from ATL; his NYC date is the same night as the free Neil Young & Crazy Horse show (which is happening slightly earlier), so we'll see. Regardless, I probably don't need to hear Heron Blue live again, unless it gets the 'Nights' treatment...

#8 09-22-2012 8:34pm

admiralfell

Good call with the set list. I believe that he also played Amung the Leaves and another new song that mentioned not being able to visit Bon Scott's grave on a recent tour of Australia. @zoonbackcamera - I hear you on Heron Blue but this was a great set, my 6th time seeing him. If you can squeeze it in, go for it.

#9 09-22-2012 9:11pm

lance

@ Admiral Yeah, I updated the Facebook site an hour after I posted a setlist there about a new song about traveling and that he "didn't even get to visit Bon Scott's grave, I forgot to do it here. I don't think that he did Among the Leaves.. Am I wrong?

#10 09-22-2012 9:12pm

lance

Wish he woulda did UK Blues, but I certainly am not going to be that idiot to scream "UK blues!", nor am I a girl. I shoulda had my wife do it, she is way cuter than me. Oh well. smile

#11 09-22-2012 9:38pm

lance

@ Admiral Yep, ur right! He did do Among the leaves, I remember. Just listened to it...Song about a girl sleeping the night. He totally did it. Good memory.

#12 09-23-2012 9:31am

Guyute

What were the start and end times for MK?  Was there an opener?  Doors open at 700 in Orlando and I'm driving from out of town, so I'd like to time it right.  Thanks.

#13 09-23-2012 10:06am

Cire79

Guyute wrote:

What were the start and end times for MK?  Was there an opener?  Doors open at 700 in Orlando and I'm driving from out of town, so I'd like to time it right.  Thanks.

According to this site, someone named "DJ Frankie G" is opening for Mark tonight.  Haha, oh boy!  A DJ!  :-/ 

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/123729 … en-on-fair

#14 09-23-2012 1:48pm

admiralfell

There was no opener in Austin.  mark took the stage a few minutes after 9pm and played until 11pm or so.  Good luck with that DJ.

#15 09-24-2012 6:58pm

Michael7388

Any word on what was being sold as merchandise? Any posters?

Board footer