Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 09-27-2012 11:07pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

09/29/12 @ Williamsburg Music Hall, Brooklyn, NY (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 09-30-2012 6:40am

MD

Re: 09/29/12 @ Williamsburg Music Hall, Brooklyn, NY (Mark solo)

Great show, very respectful crowd for the most part.

Mark seemed in very good spirits. Made all the same jokes he always makes in NYC about Williamsburg and the people who live there. He seemed very excited and grateful to have Owen opening for him. Told a couple funny stories, interacted a lot with the crowd. About as happy as I've seen him on stage in the last few years. I think the quiet/respectful crowd allowed him to open up a bit.

Highlights for me: New song "Ceiling Gazing" was beautiful, as was "Missed My Heart". I think the next album will be great. He played all the new stuff with a lot of verve and conviction. Mark played "Have You Forgotten" for somebody named Tony, I think, who had passed away. "Have You Forgotten" was Tony's favorite song. This rendition was beautiful. I've been waiting for a while to hear him play this one. "Black Kite" and "Mistress" were beautiful as well. The piano was really a nice addition to the evening. When he came out for the encore he asked a woman in the front row what she wanted to hear and she said "Drop". Mark said, "Aw man, that one's like 14 minutes long. What else?" She then requested "Cruiser" and he said he'd try it though it had been a while and he might forget the lyrics. He played a great version, but got stuck on the last verse and kept playing guitar while trying to get the audience to remember it. Finally, the words came back to him and he finished. Still one of my all-time favorite songs by Mark, so glad to hear it even if he forgot the last verse.

Setlist (in rough order):

Four Fingered Fisherman
Moorestown
That Bird Has A Broken Wing
Elaine
Missed My Heart
The Winery
Bon Scott's Grave
Ceiling Gazing
Get Along Home Cindy
You Are My Sun
Black Kite
Have You Forgotten
Heron Blue (w. piano)
Moderately Talented (w. piano)
UK Blues (w. piano)
Track Number 8 (w. piano)
Mistress (w. piano)
-------------------
Cruiser
Natural Light
Glenn Tipton
Blue Orchids (w. piano)

Last edited by MD (09-30-2012 10:42am)

#3 09-30-2012 12:55pm

LettersInKanji
Website

This pretty much covers my view of the show as well. It was great, a very long set, and maybe the least combative of the three times I've seen him.

#4 10-02-2012 7:08am

Jebus Sabes

#5 10-02-2012 7:44am

ZoomBackCamera

How did you guys enjoy Advance Base? Any Casiotone songs played?

#6 10-04-2012 7:29am

LettersInKanji
Website

I thought Advance Base were really good. Mark watched them from like, two seats in front of me, and my friend and I were hypothesizing that his enjoyment of them may have been partially responsible for his good mood throughout the evening. No Casiotone songs played by Owen as best I could tell, although I'm admittedly only super familiar with one album. Mark did "Natural Light" during his set.

#7 10-05-2012 10:30am

clarkgable

Jebus Sabes wrote:

This review and reviewr sucks...Don't waste your time reading it.

But, thanlks for posting it...  smile

Board footer