Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-29-2004 7:59am

Play:Sleep:Repeat
Website

Pelican

Hi I am new to Marks work and I love the Sun Kil Moon album.  I haven't been so moved by an album since "Bonnie" Prince Billy's "Master and Everyone" (buy iy!!!).

If you love the heavier riff on "Duk Koo Kim" you might want to take a look at Pelican.  They are on the mighty ISIS frontman Aaron Turners' label Hydahead.

Check out their album "Australasia".

While your at it check out ISIS's Oceanic.  The 2nd best album ever made (after TOOL's AENIMA) I my opinion.

T'ra!

I have brown hair, a red beard, one black arm and glasses.  And my parents wonder my I look puzzled all the time!

#2 07-29-2004 8:37am

XRayLexx
Website

Re: Pelican

AENIMA. Never liked that Tool album.
Preferred the first proper album (cant remember its name) with the pig on forks on it.
Is it me or does maynard have a thing about fists and crap? smile

#3 07-29-2004 4:19pm

tomek
Website

Aenima is the Tool masterpiece to me. But Undertow is really good also.

#4 07-30-2004 3:08am

Play:Sleep:Repeat
Website

Yeah Undertow it amazing too.  I saw them back in '93 on that tour in Glasgow and it just blew my socks off!

I made a mistake yesterday.  As I said I'm new to Marks work. I actually meant the riff on Salvador Sanchez is the one that remids me of Pelican.

I have brown hair, a red beard, one black arm and glasses.  And my parents wonder my I look puzzled all the time!

#5 07-30-2004 3:35am

XRayLexx
Website

Seen them at Reading Festival and also at a gig in Leeds. Im sure the guitarist was using a Drill. Rocking! smile

#6 09-12-2004 4:00pm

japanesetoenglish
Website

The guys in pelican are really awsome too.  My brother's friends w/em and I know em' okay and they're all fucking cards.

hope is just another rope I use to hang myself with

#7 07-09-2011 12:19pm

DaveC

i like Pelican. Australasia is the only one i still need by them. 'The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw' is them at their best i reckon. They are a little samey, I enjoy their recent album though can't tell a lot of the tracks apart, the closing one, their first song with vocals, is brilliant. I like the way they describe themselves on the credits as 'grunge gravy'. I love a bit of sludge metal.

I have Oceanic and Panopticon by Isis and they are both amazing. I was totally floored by Panopticon, the first i heard by them. The build up and release on In Fiction is beyond belief. I look forward to getting some of their other albums soon.

#8 08-14-2012 3:47pm

beginning's eve
Website

don't know how I overlooked this thread, luv me sum' Pelican!

I've seen em' live a few times with Thrice & Circa Survive, killer sound - SO BIG, SO LOUD!

What We All Come To Need is a fantastic album. I've got it on vinyl, & it sounds amazing.

& as far as TOOL goes, Lateralus is not only their crowning achievement - it's one of the greatest rock albums of all-time!
(also own Lateralus on vinyl - one of my most prized possessions.)

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

Board footer