Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 11-04-2010 9:15pm

lazyrain

Quiet Distortion a la Trailways (Guitar-But-Not-Tab Related Question)

Hi,

Like the subject says this isn't a question about any tab but is guitar related. It's also a pretty wide open question I think. In the song Trailways from Songs For A Blue Guitar, around the 3:17 mark an electric guitar joins the track with a quiet, sustained, melodic sort of feedback sound which continues throughout the remainder of the track. (There are some other non-RHP songs which use a similar technique which I could list if necessary to further illustrate what I'm talking about)

So basically I want to work out how to make these sort of sounds. Doesn't have to be exactly the same but something similar. I've tried to work it out but when it comes to feedback I really don't have much of an idea. First place I though to ask was the Sad Reminders message board. So does anybody have any idea of how I would go about attaining this sort of sound? I'd like to focus the question upon technique but am also interested in settings/gear etc. Any Input would really be appreciated.

Tusen Takk

LR

Letting in the sunshine...

#2 11-05-2010 1:27am

Pierre21
Website

Re: Quiet Distortion a la Trailways (Guitar-But-Not-Tab Related Question)

I can think of a few things you might need to achieve that sound.

First of them I think is a good sustain. Either your guitar has sustain naturally or you may need a compressor to do that. On the other hand, a compressor might be helpful in any case...

You must crank up the gain knob on your distortion pedal to attain the right level where your guitar will easily feedback without the sound being to gritty or fuzzy.

I would also add a little reverb on it and probably some delay (there's some delay on Trailways if I'm not mistaken). The delay will certainly help make the sound more fluid.

Then you need to position yourself in front of your speaker and try different positions and distances. This may affect the sound greatly, because depending on where you're standing and the natural predispositions of your guitar you'll naturally get some notes to feedback more easily...

Then you need to realize even though it is quiet on Trailways it was probably played quite loud and then lowered in the mix. It's almost impossible to get "quiet" feedback.

It's a great effect, I've used it on some of my songs. It is indeed a classic gimmick you can hear on many 80's-90's songs.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Pierre21 (11-05-2010 1:33am)

#3 11-05-2010 5:52am

seven1082000

Pierre21 seems to be spot on in my opinion. Especially recording it loud then lowering it in the mix.

If you want to get a similar effect at bedroom volumes, or have  abit more control you might want to try an E-bow. That's how I generally go about generating that sound for any thing I have to record.

#4 11-05-2010 9:22am

Sonograph
Website

jeff martin from IDAHO used to do that all the time !!!
listen to "forever" from "this way out"... classic !!!

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music." - T.S. Eliot

#5 11-05-2010 2:34pm

Sickboy

To me that is a very import part of the song. It really let me know that Koz is a great producer and that song is one of, if not my favorite of his. In fact I think I will have a bottle of wine tonight and play that song in the dark.

#6 11-05-2010 4:29pm

ali_munchkin

Similarly this is why Brockwell Park is probably my favourite RHP song . The way the echoey distrorted trails create the space around the acoustic guitar (i love the tone he has on that tune)

#7 11-09-2010 5:57am

lazyrain

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I'm gonna go give 'em a try. I think I might need a bigger amp though.

I had never actually heard of an E-Bow until I looked it up following seven1082000's post. They look really great. I've spent laborious hours with my producer trying to play distorted notes that sound like they're fading and not being played without the use of effects. Maybe that's the answer.

Idaho are responsible for some of the other uses I was thinking of. Love those guys. Love the Fading weave this effect creates throughout a song. Trailways... I gotta agree with Sickboy. It's an amazing song but that guitar just takes it to the next level. Great track with the lights out... Great record with the lights out. Really appreciate the replies, I thought if anyone's gonna get what I'm talking about it has to be RHP fans, not just in terms of knowing the song but of getting why you'd want to use that effect.

Letting in the sunshine...

Board footer