Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 11-09-2010 7:28am

lazyrain

Arab Strap

This is one of three bands I thought I'd bring up for recommendation/discussion. I've put 'em in separate threads as they're unrelated. Posting these as I think the bands might be appreciated by RHP fans:

Arab Strap: The search function comes up with a lot of mentions of these guys. Some Arab Strap fans on here? I also noticed they came up in the 'If you like RHP You Should Also Like' thread, which I didn't bother posting in as the last post was 2004.

Vocalist Aidan Moffat and multi-instrumentalist Malcolm Middleton grew up in Falkirk, and bonded over their mutual love for Drag City recording artists such as Smog and Will Oldham (who at the time recorded under the name Palace Brothers). They began collaborating in 1995, and their debut album The Week Never Starts Round Here was released the following year.

Arab Strap's marked characteristics include sordid, personal, yet honest, lyrics – described by the NME as "fly on the duvet vignettes". At first essentially an electro-acoustic band with a brooding, spare sound, later albums and gigs saw them develop a fuller sound which drew deeply on both indie and dance music.

Islands

New Birds

Daughters Of Darkness

Opinions?

Letting in the sunshine...

#2 11-09-2010 12:21pm

seepingthrough

Re: Arab Strap

Great band, I always wonder how much of the lyrics meaning gets lost when someone not from Scotland listens wink The whole of Philophobia is amazing.

Not Quite a Yes

My favourite song by Mogwai has Aidan on lead vocals,

R U Still in 2 It

Last edited by seepingthrough (11-09-2010 12:25pm)

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#3 11-09-2010 2:44pm

seven1082000

I love Arab Strap, mad for sadness is in my top 200 albums list.  The problem I have is every time I am going through my music for something to listen to they are right next to Afghan Whigs and they usually win out.

#4 11-10-2010 8:34am

Gurkov

I was confused when this girl gave me a mix tape with "not quite a yes" among the songs. back in '98, i think. smile

anyway, i like "soaps" and the mogwai track, but not a big fan.

#5 11-10-2010 6:56pm

lazyrain

Seepingthrough, thanks for posting the Mogwai link, I had forgotten about that song, never actually heard it. It's great. And yeah I think a fair bit may get lost in translation. I'm from NE England and never really had any problems with the accent or vocab but I've had a few mates who've struggled with understanding the terminology and pronunciation. Did you get Aidan's solo record? It had a glossary as part of the enhanced features. Weans was something I'd never heard before that but I assumed it came from wee 'uns.

I got the Arab Strap collection 'Scenes Of A Sexual Nature' when it came out earlier this year. I think it may feature additional tracks from when Mad For Sadness was recorded but I might be mistaken.

Gurkov, did you ask about it's inclusion? I heard the single version of soaps recently with the release of SOASN. I definitely prefer the more stripped down album version.

The track I wanted to post above was Amor Veneris from The Read Thread but I couldn't find it online anywhere. sad

#6 11-11-2010 3:49am

Gurkov

i didn't need ask, i soon realized it was an unrequited interest... hmm

anyway, that was 12 years ago, so... anyway, i still love "the boy with the arab strap" though! smile

#7 11-11-2010 4:44am

Saint Dan

Nothing finer than Arab Strap... I was a bit disappointed I flew to Glasgow, got a hotel and all that PURELY to see their last ever show...

Which was not their last ever show a couple of weeks later when they toured Japan. Never forgave them for that one :-(

As a band, Arab Strap are flawless.

Malcolm on his own ? I can tolerate but it's not something I seek out.

Aidan on his own ? I purchased a live album of his via download only... Without the music, and accompanied by two tone kids organ ( or whatever it was ) it just sounds like the ramblings of a mad man. I have all of his stuff purely out of devotion, but most of it...

I think he's just put a new 10 track 7" out : Ten Short Songs for Modern Lovers.

...buyers should not expect Kozelek style guitar virtuosity or finely crafted lyrics about cats and love. Think more the local tramp explaining how he got those stains on the front of his trousers.

#8 11-11-2010 9:30am

lazyrain

Aiden lamented Arab Strap in a youtube video recently. It was pretty funny. Watch it here.

Like the description, I think there's still a lot of romance in there, beyond the stains. Maybe an honest and brutal sort of romance but there's beauty in there. The show things a kick in the nuts, but at least you got to see 'em live.

I like their solo stuff but it's certainly very different from Arab Strap, although I guess that's the point. Malcolm has a new project called 'Human Don't Be Angry' and Aidan has a record with Bill Wells coming out in the spring.

Board footer