Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 12-26-2010 6:29pm

canon_in_w

Little Drummer Boy (album) fingerpicking

On songs like Rock 'n' Roll Singer, Glenn Tipton, and Carry Me Ohio from Little Drummer Boy, you can hear really fast high string picking; it shimmers as he plays the top two strings quite quickly.  At first I thought he was doing some kind of triplets for Glenn Tipton, but I don't think so now.  Instead I think he might just be frequently playing the high strings both on the bass beat and off it, instead of just off the bass beat (which will take some practice to get down, if it is what he's doing).  I don't have a guitar with me where I am, so I can't test it out, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the shimmering to his fingerpicking in those three songs, and if anyone can confirm or destroy my theory.  Any thoughts?  Do I make any sense here?

#2 12-26-2010 6:56pm

yoshimi

Re: Little Drummer Boy (album) fingerpicking

One thing to remember is that Phil Carney is playing along on the Little Drummer Boy album, so I think he is actually responsible for the notes you are referring to.

When I saw Mark (admittedly a few years after LDB was recorded) Mark was mostly playing simple bass figures with his thumb and index finger while Phil was playing most of the higher stuff.

#3 12-27-2010 10:58pm

canon_in_w

Ah, okay, I do remember noting (pun intended) his handiwork on some of the songs.  But was he playing on every song?  Some of them seem to stop and start so suddenly that I tend to think he came and went; I only have a digital version, so I can't check the sleeve.
Another thought: do you remember if, when you saw them, Phil was using a pick or fingerpicking?

#4 12-29-2010 3:50am

yoshimi

I haven't listened to it in a while but I am fairly certain he plays at least most of the time on this album. For the April tours they would play together for the entire main set and then Mark would usually do a solo encore and I think it was a similar set-up when LDB was recorded? I'm sure somebody else has more information.

I think Mark actually talks about how much better he thinks LDB is compared to White Christmas because of Phil's playing in the intro to his Nights of Passed Over book as well.

When I saw them I think Phil was fingerpicking. He was pretty much banished to the shadows (although Mark quickly requested that all the rest of the stage lights were to be turned down as well, haha).

EDIT just checked the CD sleeve also and it doesn't specify which tracks Phil plays on unfortunately.

Last edited by yoshimi (12-29-2010 3:52am)

#5 01-01-2011 1:34am

canon_in_w

I dunno if he does or doesn't play on those tracks I specified, but I found the source of the shimmering notes: 12-string guitar.  I went to my local Guitar Center and played Glenn Tipton (live version) on a 12-string there, and I got the same result.  It sounds awesome.

But, yeah, I can hear him on, I think, most of them, but it's not to clear for a bunch of songs.  And I think I do prefer LDB over White Christmas in general (though it's nice to hear Mark alone on a whole slew of songs).

#6 01-01-2011 8:45am

Gurkov

i think for a lot of songs, phil just more or less doubled mark's playing... at least that's how i remember the show i went to.

#7 01-04-2011 8:48am

Pierre21
Website

canon_in_w wrote:

I dunno if he does or doesn't play on those tracks I specified, but I found the source of the shimmering notes: 12-string guitar.  I went to my local Guitar Center and played Glenn Tipton (live version) on a 12-string there, and I got the same result.  It sounds awesome.

Yeah it's mostly the twelve-string. You can hear that specific sound on some bootleg recordings too. High notes are played over the low notes because of the higher string doubling the bass strings. I personnally am not a fan.

Last edited by Pierre21 (01-04-2011 8:49am)

Board footer