Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 02-25-2011 5:58pm

Brandon543088

Skyline Angel (my personal project)

A tacky thread to talk about my project. Mark has been a big influence on my music and has been since I was 16 or (im 18 now) After recollecting myself musically I was listening to unlit hallway and came up with this name and its really sticking well. I hope do a demo soon of songs for an album I want to someday put out titled This Quiet City Sleeps Alone. Heres the track listing of songs I want to do

01 City Night
02 Division Street
03 Won't Ever Say Goodbye
04 Waiting... She Never Comes
05 Do You Remember Or Did You Forget
06 This Quiet City Sleeps Alone
07 Midnight In The Cities
08 Lost Faded Dreams
09 Skylines In New York
10 Northern Atmosphere

Been perfecting alot of these songs some I've been working with since 2008. I spend months writing just the lyrics and guitar parts. Its a very long drawn out process. I put alot of thought in to each and every song.  Just want to see what you guys think of the titles I guess? I'll repost some demo links on this thread once I get some equipment to do so. I just write songs about my life. so let me know if guys are interested in hearing anything or wanting to know more.

#2 02-25-2011 7:42pm

doggie_diner

Re: Skyline Angel (my personal project)

they're quite pedestrian, i'm sure a million groups have these titles,
you should listen to Col.Gadaffi's rants, there's a wealth of strange utterances in them, or gospel records are good for song titles,just my advice,
i'm thinking of starting a fife and drum group,bit of poems and tapes and that too and a girl playing maraccas (buxom)  get me out of the house y'know..might call the group Dead Libyans, or Christ Church Quake
i'm quite serious

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

#3 02-25-2011 11:25pm

kahoutek24

doggie_diner wrote:

they're quite pedestrian, i'm sure a million groups have these titles,
you should listen to Col.Gadaffi's rants, there's a wealth of strange utterances in them, or gospel records are good for song titles,just my advice,
i'm thinking of starting a fife and drum group,bit of poems and tapes and that too and a girl playing maraccas (buxom)  get me out of the house y'know..might call the group Dead Libyans, or Christ Church Quake
i'm quite serious

I'd laugh if my nerves weren't so wacked out from all the aftershocks we've been having since the Feb 22 big one here
in Christchurch (not Christ Church)

#4 02-27-2011 8:37pm

susanm

kahoutek24 said:      I'd laugh if my nerves weren't so wacked out from all the aftershocks we've been having since the Feb 22 big one here
in Christchurch (not Christ Church
                   ah man,i feel bad for ya'll  ,been following it a bit (everyones piling in cars and leaving ,huh?),  the aftershock shock  gets into your pysche -when they happen while you are asleep,you wake up remembering it as a bad dream,have you had that experience? i was in the '89 sf earthquake.it gets better!

Last edited by susanm (02-27-2011 8:39pm)

#5 02-27-2011 11:47pm

kahoutek24

susanm wrote:

kahoutek24 said:      I'd laugh if my nerves weren't so wacked out from all the aftershocks we've been having since the Feb 22 big one here
                   ah man,i feel bad for ya'll  ,been following it a bit (everyones piling in cars and leaving ,huh?),  the aftershock shock  gets into your pysche -when they happen while you are asleep,you wake up remembering it as a bad dream,have you had that experience? i was in the '89 sf earthquake.it gets better!

Yes, Susan, that's happened to me quite a bit!    This is the second big earthquake to hit Christchurch - the first one was last September - I wasn't there - I was in San Francisco -( for the MK show, among other things) - but we had aftershocks for six months after and then this new one - it may have been 6.3 on the richter scale, but it was quite shallow - around 5 kilomitres (2.5 miles?) deep which means it was much more violent and probably equivalent to 8 or 9 on the richter scale.   Over 12,000 people have left town since the quake - most have re-located north to Wellington or Auckland temporarily.   I'm seriously considering doing the same since my work was downtown and most of downtown is rubble, and without power/water - which means I'm off work for a while.

Have found I've been listening to music more just to distract myself and centre myself.  I  found an mp3 of Mark Kozelek doing "Send in the Clowns" - I love what he's done with that song - pure genius.

Last edited by kahoutek24 (02-27-2011 11:48pm)

#6 02-28-2011 2:28am

doggie_diner

kahoutek24 wrote:
susanm wrote:

Yes, Susan, that's happened to me quite a bit!    This is the second big earthquake to hit Christchurch - the first one was last September - I wasn't there - I was in San Francisco -( for the MK show, among other things) - but we had aftershocks for six months after and then this new one - it may have been 6.3 on the richter scale, but it was quite shallow - around 5 kilomitres (2.5 miles?) deep which means it was much more violent and probably equivalent to 8 or 9 on the richter scale.   Over 12,000 people have left town since the quake - most have re-located north to Wellington or Auckland temporarily.   I'm seriously considering doing the same since my work was downtown and most of downtown is rubble, and without power/water - which means I'm off work for a while.

Have found I've been listening to music more just to distract myself and centre myself.  I  found an mp3 of Mark Kozelek doing "Send in the Clowns" - I love what he's done with that song - pure genius.

I'll actually agree on this, his version makes tin cans into gold, i don't mean that in a travelling tinker kind of way,

what i mean is Mark is such a conservative, he makes a drab song like this one happen, i can't even like that tune in its original even for its kitsch,
damn I feel bad about what I said now I actually think Kiwis are great, you're like Australians with brains and culture, I've some very good nz mates and the penguin book of nz verse is on the bookshelf too,
I used to romanticise hoping that I'd experience an earthquake when I was in Sf but seeing the situation in nz it sobered up those pretensions,
solidarity to you kiwi and forgive the smartassedness

Last edited by doggie_diner (02-28-2011 2:29am)

#7 02-28-2011 12:13pm

kahoutek24

doggie_diner wrote:
kahoutek24 wrote:
susanm wrote:

I'll actually agree on this, his version makes tin cans into gold, i don't mean that in a travelling tinker kind of way,

what i mean is Mark is such a conservative, he makes a drab song like this one happen, i can't even like that tune in its original even for its kitsch,
damn I feel bad about what I said now I actually think Kiwis are great, you're like Australians with brains and culture, I've some very good nz mates and the penguin book of nz verse is on the bookshelf too,
I used to romanticise hoping that I'd experience an earthquake when I was in Sf but seeing the situation in nz it sobered up those pretensions,
solidarity to you kiwi and forgive the smartassedness

doggie diner - no problems, you're forgiven.    can you recommend any other covers Mark has done that
transcend an ordinary song into MK genius?   how about any escapist movies I can watch to distract myself from the aftershocks?

#8 02-28-2011 1:49pm

Gurkov

doggie_diner wrote:

ask gurkov to recommend some atmospheric films for you

what kind of cinematic escapism you lookin for? smile

#9 02-28-2011 3:20pm

kahoutek24

Gurkov wrote:
doggie_diner wrote:

ask gurkov to recommend some atmospheric films for you

what kind of cinematic escapism you lookin for? smile

anything funny, silly, trashy, just plain fun!

#10 03-01-2011 1:42am

Gurkov

kahoutek24 wrote:

well, the the most silly, trashy thing i can think of is bubba ho-tep. elvis lives in a nursing home where an ancient egyptian mummy sucks the souls out of the residents. so he and a black guy who says he's jfk ("they dyed me this color! that's how clever they are!") decide to go after the mummy...

a terrific b-movie if there ever was one!

#11 03-01-2011 1:52am

doggie_diner

Gurkov wrote:
kahoutek24 wrote:

well, the the most silly, trashy thing i can think of is bubba ho-tep. elvis lives in a nursing home where an ancient egyptian mummy sucks the souls out of the residents. so he and a black guy who says he's jfk ("they dyed me this color! that's how clever they are!") decide to go after the mummy...

a terrific b-movie if there ever was one!

The swedes have a real eye for the ''b-movie''
In Ireland, we call the turnip a swede!
Were you aware of this? I quite like swedes, as in for cooking

Board footer