Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 05-22-2011 2:17pm

Pierre2

Tree of Life

Terrence Malick was awarded the Palme d'Or at the Cannes film festival today for his film Tree of Life. This Palme d'Or is deserved in my opinion. I did not see the other competing films, but Tree of Life is a piece of art. Love it or hate it, period.

#2 05-25-2011 12:02pm

theriverman

Re: Tree of Life

Terrence Malick, a most Kozelek-ish director if there ever was one.  "Days of Heaven" is a perfect visual version of what Mark created sonically with "Ghosts of the Great Highway".

#3 05-25-2011 12:47pm

Pierre2

I haven't watched Days of Heaven yet, but it's on my list. But before that I'm surely going to watch the Tree of Life a second time. It is so rich, I'm sure I have missed many details. It's long and slow like a Kozelek's song, and still very thoughtful. It's melancholic without being depressing, so it's more SKM than RHP, as theriverman said. There is a lot of light (in every sense of the word) in this movie, it will not make you sad.

I don't know if girls can like this movie, mothers perhaps. Watching this movie reminded me how I felt when I was a boy, when everyday was full of lessons and surprises. It's a deep and philosophical movie. The pictures are really BEAUTIFUL,
and the music fits the pictures very well (mostly classical music). There are two long and hypnotic sequences of scientific imagery. They are a pleasure for the eye and they are not gratuitous in my opinion.

#4 05-29-2011 9:25am

Pierre2

Sorry for the spam, it has nothing to do with Kozelek. I liked this movie so much that I will be happy if many people go to cinemas and watch it. Of course, this won't happen. But I find it remarkable that it's possible to see The Tree of Life in big movie theaters that usually play entertainment movies. I have nothing against entertainment movies and I like to watch them. But this is the kind of movies you forget just after seeing them. The Tree of Life is haunting. I went to see it a second time, and my words cannot do justice to this film. If you plan to watch it, perhaps it's better to read some reviews before spending time and money, this movie will not speak to everybody, and it demands a lot of attention and open-mindedness. Not all reviews have been positive. In particular, some people seem to be annoyed with the unconventional narratives and with religious aspects of the film. I am an atheist (of christian culture), and these aspects did not bother me at all, on the contrary. Malick is probably a christian, but I am convinced his film can speak to people of all cultures.

Here are some (globally positive) reviews:
http://moviecitynews.com/2011/05/review … of-life-2/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/may … ife-review
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/c … ntPage=all

#5 05-30-2011 2:35pm

Gurkov

I love Malick, or at least his first three efforts (have avoided that Pocahontas story, for fear of being disappointed). Looking forward to this one!

Never thought of Days of Heaven as very Koz-y, but I guess there's the beautiful scenery and also the whole love triangle thing. smile

#6 06-01-2011 10:30am

theriverman

I did not make this, I found it on youtube, two of my favorite things, terrence malick and mark kozelek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPC9adA … re=related

#7 06-01-2011 1:18pm

Pierre2

nice find, pictures are from Days of Heaven I guess
There is something very soft in these pictures, especially the light, that fits MK's music well.
But I would not spontaneously associate MK's music with pastoral scenes.
MK is a city guy, no ? If you don't drive a car, you'd better live in cities anyways.

Last edited by Pierre2 (06-01-2011 1:31pm)

Board footer