Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 06-18-2011 6:37am

BadSeed

DimeADozen Help

Just started using this and I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded a couple of bootlegs, not Mark ones, 2 Sepultura gigs.
Anyway now I realised I've went over my 5gb download limit. As far as I can see the only way to get my share ratio back up is by sharing these and have folk download these files from me.

But what I can't understand is, what if no one comes on and tries to download these gigs, how am I ever meant to get my ration back up to start downloading again?

Last edited by BadSeed (06-18-2011 6:38am)

#2 06-18-2011 11:16am

NCFC

Re: DimeADozen Help

BadSeed wrote:

Just started using this and I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded a couple of bootlegs, not Mark ones, 2 Sepultura gigs.
Anyway now I realised I've went over my 5gb download limit. As far as I can see the only way to get my share ratio back up is by sharing these and have folk download these files from me.

But what I can't understand is, what if no one comes on and tries to download these gigs, how am I ever meant to get my ration back up to start downloading again?

You will have to leave them to seed for as long as necessary or upload something that you may have that hasn't been listed before to improve your ratio?  Them's the rules

#3 06-18-2011 12:20pm

BadSeed

That's rubbish. So really I should have started off by downloaded something more popular like Springsteen or Neil Young or something?

Nothing wrong with good old Sepultura Doggie Diner but I do get the impression of unbelievable elitism concerning the whole thing

Anyone want to see Sepultura in Hamburg in 1991 then? smile

Last edited by BadSeed (06-18-2011 12:24pm)

#4 06-18-2011 12:26pm

NCFC

Yeah or Beatles, Rush, etc., and maintain a ratio that way - things that you find out along the way but nobody tells you. Hang on there with it; you'll eventually get your ratio in order

#5 06-18-2011 3:16pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

BadSeed wrote:

That's rubbish. So really I should have started off by downloaded something more popular like Springsteen or Neil Young or something?

Nothing wrong with good old Sepultura Doggie Diner but I do get the impression of unbelievable elitism concerning the whole thing

Anyone want to see Sepultura in Hamburg in 1991 then? smile

It's not elitism - it's the way private bittorrent sites work. You need to give as much as you take, otherwise you won't have seeders.

More importantly, you need to be "connectable" in your router or you won't be sharing anything, which will eventually get you banned on any private site. Definitely read this (ignore that it's from another torrent site - the information is still the same).

#6 06-18-2011 5:18pm

BadSeed

I've tried reading a lot of the material but most of it goes way over my head, you need to have a bit of knowledge on networking and so on to understand any of that.

I'm not sure if I am "connectable". I use uTorrent and get things from Pirate Bay, and on uTorrent it does give me an upload speed and an amount for Uploaded, so I can only assume that it is working ok and other people can download from me.

However on my user cp at DimeADozen there is a bit that mentions Bandwidth Overload or Stealth Firewall. Which in terms of DimeADozen downloading I have no idea what they mean. But as far as I can see I can't download any more because no one is downloading the bootlegs that I downloaded.

#7 06-19-2011 7:15am

BadSeed

Anyone want to download Sepultura Hamburg 91, just to check that other people can download from me.

I'm scared to ask on the site forum as I will just get abuse about swarms and leeches and bees and wasps and other things I don't understand.

#8 06-19-2011 9:24am

lament
Site Owner
Website

Pierre2 wrote:
lament wrote:

Definitely read this

I understand that DD is half-joking when he calls that "elitism", but seriously, the information on that web page can be understood only by technogeeks.

OK if that's too complicated, then this guide should be a little easier.

BadSeed you especially should read this because you're using µTorrent. The easiest way is to follow number 1 (Using UPnP or NAT-PMP) under under Resolving a NAT problem.

#9 06-19-2011 11:22am

BadSeed

Thanks Lament, after a good hour of mucking about I finally get a green tick in uTorrent with "port open, your network is properly configured"

Now just waiting for someone to download some Sepultura lol

#10 07-19-2011 11:29am

BadSeed

Now that i have almost got this working. Why is it now that I have uploaded something, and am now sharing it my upload speed is utter rubbish compared with other people seeding

#11 07-19-2011 1:09pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Stop all your torrents, click here, run the test and tell me your upload speed.

#12 07-19-2011 3:17pm

BadSeed

Download 9.84 mbps
Upload 0.73 mbps

That's a bit of a difference.

I've set everything up as in the guides, so not sure why it's like that.

#13 07-19-2011 11:37pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

It's pretty standard for the lower tier internet that you have.

in uTorrent if you go to Options > Setup Guide.. the dropdown for Upload speed should be set to 768 kbit/s, which will set your upload speed to 70 kB/s.. upload is always going to be slower than download.

You should max out on your downloads around 1.23 MB/s (which is 9.84 Mbps)..

#14 07-20-2011 1:37am

BadSeed

Ok thanks for clearing that up

Damn this British internet!

Board footer