Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 10-28-2007 1:00am

lament
Site Owner
Website

11/2/07 @ Whelan's, Dublin, Ireland (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here..

#2 11-02-2007 7:08pm

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Re: 11/2/07 @ Whelan's, Dublin, Ireland (Mark solo)

Hey the K & C show rolled into Whelans almost 2 years to the day since their last visit. Mark complained about having a cold and having to cart that heavy vinyl across Europe but was in surprisingly good form overall. He was particularly interested when the topic of boxing was brought up and sang that "Chris Eubank was hit more than Steve Collins" and tried to wind the crowd up with the old "this is the UK?" chestnut. I think the set was cut short by the venue as there wasn't a single encore (last time there were two) as I think they had to wind up by 11pm. Set-list in not definite order included..............
Around and Around
Glen Tipton
Michigan
What's Next to the Moon
New Song 1
Gentle Moon
Salvador Sanchez
New song 2/3 (not sure if this was one or two merged together?)
River
Carry Me Ohio
Tiny Cities
Truckers Atlas
Space Travel is Boring
San Geronimo
and finally Duk Koo Kim
Both himself and Phil pulled out all the stops with the final track which really was a show-stopper
Hope to catch them again in Belfast on the final night
The new songs really wetted the appetite for the forthcoming release
Finally Mark got pissed off at someone with some recording device and asked for "respect for your elders" and mentioned "kids these days.... when I was young all I had was a comb". 2 hours of quality performance and a couple of friends who had never seen him before were likewise suitably impressed. The new tracks bode well for the upcoming SKM release.

Last edited by Concern Charity Fundrazer (11-02-2007 7:13pm)

#3 11-04-2007 4:05pm

numbersix_99

I don't know about you but I had a terrible time at the gig- full of people talking loudly throughout. I had a couple behind me (I was at the end of the bar, stage-side) who kept talking ABOUT the songs WHILE Kozelek was playing them. They drove me mad. Dublin has a huge problem with hipsters who go to gigs for the status, as opposed to caring for the music.

And then I think the venue let in the nightclubbers who just talked, and completely overwhelmed the music, ruining the experience. Especially considering Duk Koo Kim was the final song of the night. If I were Kozelek I'd be damn pissed off at management of Whelans, and of the hipsters whose only interest in music amounts to loving the sound of their own voices.

#4 11-05-2007 6:54am

starsoverparis

This was my third time seeing Mark, second solo, but by far the most intimate venue I'd seen him in so I was looking forward to it.

I knew he was selling a limited edition 4 disc, white vinyl, live album box set during this tour and was thinking of buying it but when I saw the price tag of 35 euro I hesitated, then who should I see loitering around the merchandise stand but the man himself! I instantly purchased the record and asked him to sign it which he happily did. I was like a dog with two tails and could have gone home then before the gig quite happy. So after sticking my treasure in the boot of my car (another bonus, got a space outside the door) I returned to watch him in action. Myself and my friend were right up the front practically within touching distance of him and I think the people who came this close were real fans so no chat from them during the set. He only played one RHP track but I am very familiar with his entire canon of work so I enjoyed it all. There was the usual shout outs from people for RHP songs but he just ignored them. My only gripe was with the venue who allowed banging hard house music to sound out from the pub next door and who lashed the house lights and music on at 11 leaving no chance for an encore. It was also quite amusing to see Mark having to walk out with everyone and desperately trying not to engage in conversation with anyone...

#5 11-05-2007 9:30am

Cruiser
Website

starsoverparis wrote:

35 euro I hesitated,

you did well, they were £35 at the Belfast gig.

# there's an angel by the ocean, I miss... #

#6 11-05-2007 12:33pm

BadSeed

£35 in Belfast, they were £25 in Glasgow. I think they have got their currency and parts of the UK mixed up there

#7 11-05-2007 4:55pm

BCL

Yes, they used the same price list as Galway the night before, so the 35 went from being Euro in Galway to Sterling in Belfast. I tried to explain this to the woman at the door on the way in, but she was having none of it. Afterwards, I spoke to the promoter and he reckoned it had been a mistake alright. But Mark seemed genuinely confused by the fact that there was a different currency when he crossed the border ! It was his own Price List and it went into his bag with the remaining merch at the end of the night.

Last edited by BCL (11-05-2007 4:56pm)

#8 11-08-2007 2:12am

starsoverparis

Once I saw Mark there and got him to sign it the price became irrelevant. I'm actually thinking of just framing it which will probably be more expensive than the record itself.

#9 09-10-2011 10:19am

BCL

This is the setlist in the right order:
01. Around and Around
02. Glen Tipton
03. What's Next to the Moon
04. Michigan
05. Harper Road
06. Truckers Atlas
07. Tiny Cities
08. Space Travel is Boring
09. Tonight in Bilbao
10. Gentle Moon
11. Salvador Sanchez