Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-19-2011 1:46pm

beginning's eve
Website

Idaho - You Were a Dick

anyone here heard the new Idaho album?

I think it's fantastic, been kinda obsessed with it for the past few weeks now...

if you're interested in buying it, there are some really cool Vinyl/CD/MP3 packages worth checking out, here - http://idaho.bandcamp.com/album/you-were-a-dick

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#2 07-20-2011 12:39am

Saint Dan

Re: Idaho - You Were a Dick

Really starting to love YWAD myself. It's a real grower.

Sounds a lot like "Alas" to me in a lot of places, which is no bad thing. The extras disc is nice enough, and it's good that artists are providing incentives to buy from themselves.

#3 07-20-2011 3:46am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Love that album title...

#4 07-20-2011 9:04am

christian b

You Were a Dick is amazing, my favorite Idaho album since Alas. I wasn't thrilled with The Lone Gunman, so I'm really pleased and a little surprised that YWAD is as great as it is.

#5 07-20-2011 11:13am

Pierre21
Website

I have to really take the time to listen to it. What I've heard so far sounds really good, I think I'll order the LP. Sonograph told me he found it VERY good, even though he hated both the cover and title (which I love)...

And Doggie, you crack me up.

#6 07-21-2011 2:46am

doggie_diner

Wasn't there a topic where I attacked the Idaho myth?
Idaho are much like the congealed porridge in another burnt out pot, the arse of which is blackened and defeated.
Idaho are like a mattress that becomes hot and lumpy and no amount of turning it will do.
Idaho are like the bush in my front garden that didn't make it thru the last winter, it sits there nude and prickly with an empty crisp packet or empty can of pop thrown in from a youth.
Idaho sound like my old stereo, donated to me that I dropped an entire plate of bolognese on, gave up and went drinking.
Idaho aren't even good enough for an ex-girlfriend

Last edited by doggie_diner (07-21-2011 2:47am)

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

#7 07-21-2011 5:28am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

You were a dick or you are a dick......kidding

#8 07-26-2011 4:19am

beginning's eve
Website

cool, I'm glad a few other folks have checked out the album.

I for one, think it's amazing!

definitely my favorite since Alas (which is my favorite Idaho album to date).

I was pleased to hear more guitar on this album, as well as a few upbeat tunes.

YWAD seems to be a tasteful mix between Alas/Lone Gunman

the production, per usual for Jeff Martin, is phenomenal.

the vinyl sounds amazing, thanks to a high quality pressing.

& the extras that come with album; including hi res audio files, beautiful instrumental b-sides, & a 16mm short film by Jeff Martin all make the purchase well worth while!

'11 has been a fantastic year for quality music, & this album is definitely up in my top rankings so far.

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#9 08-25-2011 7:45pm

LettersInKanji
Website

He will never touch Year After Year, as far as I'm concerned, but this is really good.

#10 08-26-2011 1:28pm

Pierre2

doggie_diner wrote:

I want somebody to explain to me how 2011 has been a ''fantastic year for quality music''
Maybe I'm too troglodytic for a message board appreciating the art of music
Personally I don't understand how any person could be still moved by a song after their early twenties, the power of music wilts
so explain to me how 2011 has been any different from the past few miserable years, or the ones to follow

Personally I have ceased keeping up to date about music in the last few years. There is so much fantastic music from the past that I prefer not to waste my time (and my money) with "new" music that I feel I've already heard thousands of times. Probably I am just too old. I can still be moved by beautiful music, but I can't explain you that, there is no explanation. When I am lucid (that happens sometimes), I realize there are probably some talented people like Mark Kozelek that I don't know, real artists ignored by most people, but there is too much noise around and we can't hear them. What I hope is that time will filter out all the junk, as it has always done. Bach was considered a lesser musician than Telemann during his lifetime. And who had heard about Nick Drake in the 1970's ? I guess very few people, I mean fewer than today.

#11 10-18-2011 10:58am

Jebus Sabes

Amusing RHP-related anecdote here:

"Jeff then tells a tale of touring with Mark Kozelek’s Red House Painters, and what went on backstage: “Red House Painters and Idaho toured together and I remember them complaining to our manager in common that we were stealing all of their girls. Like they would meet woman while we opened for them and when they took the stage we would swoop in and woo them over to our camp….Ha!! Oh well.”"

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/2011/10 … iew-idaho/

#12 10-18-2011 12:15pm

Saint Dan

...meh. I could see why the groupies would defect to Idaho. Sure, Kozelek is the better songwriter and musician - of that's there's little doubt -

However, in those early days, Idaho at least were a proper band fuelled by drink, drugs and excess. Read the liner notes to "People like us..." by Idaho. I'd rather talk to Jeff Martin and John Berry about the broken needles in their arms, rather than Kozelek about his favourite cat.

Board footer