Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 11-05-2011 9:01pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

11/04/11 @ West End Cultural Center, Winnipeg, MB (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 11-06-2011 7:45am

S/T

Re: 11/04/11 @ West End Cultural Center, Winnipeg, MB (Mark solo)

Okay, here's the setlist in random order.  I was going to keep better track, but I got lost in the moment!  I know I have the first two songs and the encore in order, but that's it.

Glenn Tipton
Third And Seneca
Sunshine in Chicago
new song - talks about a relationship with a girl who's also a singer?
new song that lists cities in Europe
Trailways
All Mixed Up
Half Moon Bay
River
Natural Light
Heron Blue
Moorestown
Like The River
Australian Winter

ENCORE:
unknown song (these two songs sounded similar.  I think one of them had a line about "you can sleep downstairs")
unknown song
Carry Me Ohio

It was my first Kozelek show, which I'm thinking was pretty much the case for everyone.  I was in the front row, entranced the whole time!  So were most people.  The guy who introduced Mark talked about how great his music was.  Mark commented that the guy went on longer than most opening bands! 

I think Mark was a little taken aback by how intently people were listening, and by how far some had travelled to see him.  People were there from as far away as Vancouver (a distance of 1400 miles).  Some people had driven 450 miles from Regina, Saskatchewan.  Mark thought that was too far to travel for a show.  He also laughed about the name. 

The crowd was generally respectful and quiet, and they laughed at all of Mark's comments.  I think Mark wanted there to be more audience banter, but most people just wanted to listen to him tune up.  He asked what there was to do in Winnipeg.  The only thing he knew about the place was that Neil Young had lived here "for a week or something."  The only idiotic comment I heard was after "All Mixed Up," when someone asked if he did any J. Geils Band covers!  Someone asked Mark what his favourite song of all time was.  Mark answered "Send In The Clowns, the Judy Collins version."  He wouldn't say what his favourite of his own songs was, saying that seemed pretentious.

The venue was cold, so Mark played with his jacket on.  Someone offered to toss him a pair of mitts, which he and the crowd found amusing.  He commented that obviously a Spanish guitar does not belong in a Canadian climate.

He only asked for requests at the end.  There was a man with a seeing eye dog that Mark asked specifically.  When he said "Have You Forgotten," Mark said he couldn't remember all the words for that one.  Someone else called out "Carry Me Ohio," so Mark did that one instead.

The merchandise on sale at the show were all the SKM and solo CDs.  A free copy of "I'll Be There" was given out too.  A local artist had made a silk screened poster for the show (only 40 made) which will proudly hang on my wall!

Anyway, those are my memories of the night.  Sorry if this post rambles, but I wanted to write down as much as I could remember.  I had an incredible time, and can hardly wait for the next opportunity to see him!

Last edited by S/T (11-06-2011 7:48am)

#3 11-06-2011 11:19am

Katy

Yup, great show.  Setlist looks right to me, and I didn't write down the order either.

Pretty pumped he made it out to Winnipeg.  Before the show, my brother, his girlfriend and I went to the cafe across the street for dinner.  I was just about to place my order when Mark walks in and sits at the counter about 4 feet away.  I almost choked on my water.  I worked up the courage to go up and ask him to join us for dinner.  He declined, said he'd just got in and needed a quick bite to eat and to chill a bit before the show.  He was really nice about it and thanked me for the offer.

Oh well...maybe next time.  At least I got to shake his hand.

Loved his humour during the show, especially during his non-album tour songs - funny guy.

#4 11-06-2011 2:08pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

S/T wrote:

A local artist had made a silk screened poster for the show (only 40 made) which will proudly hang on my wall!

Was it this one from Guppy Design?

AcoyYrdCQAAyLz0.jpg

#5 11-06-2011 2:21pm

Katy

^ That is indeed the poster that was available at the show.

#6 11-07-2011 4:41am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Wow really nice poster and nice to see 3 RHP songs...I think he does ,in fairness, make some concession to the older songs when he plays somewhere for the 1st time.

Board footer