Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#16 11-30-2010 10:23pm

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Re: The movies

Winters Bone was an excellent gritty tale with an Oscar deserving performance from the female lead.Paradise Now about suicide bombers,the 1985 film Orphans with Albert Finney,Pans Labyrinth,Grizzly Man.Love almost everything by Coen bros,early Woody Allen and Steve Martin and one of best comedy films ever Midnight Run.'Barfly' Mickey Rourke's almost unintentionally hilarious take on Bukowski and the mighty Ferris Bueller's Day Off. ?Was/Am a huge Seinfeld fan and also Frasier,Flight of the Concords,The Office,Curb your Enthusiasm,(Malcolm in)The Middle,Arrested Development and finally an oldie but not a mouldy 'Taxi'.

Last edited by Concern Charity Fundrazer (11-30-2010 10:35pm)

#17 11-30-2010 10:56pm

Charles
Website

I liked Carnivale, and it's one of my father's all time favorites.

As far as comedies, "The Simpsons" during their golden age were and are unrivaled, even though I like Family Guy and earlier South Park.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#18 12-04-2010 1:47am

susanm

growin' up: 'to kill a mockingbird'. i ve yet to make it through 'the color purple',i cried too hard. 'breaking the waves',  lars von trier.someone said 'it's a wonderful life' another fave,'deerhunter','in the name of the father' ,i like obscure music  documentaries-on: miles davis,johncoltrane,robert johnson,theremin,even woody allen's clarinet one.i havent seen any in a while,cept alice in wonderland 3d.i did watch half of shopgirl i didnt know mark was in it, til i read here,i must admit i fast forwarded to mark scenes.mark's a decent actor,somehow thinkin back i'm not that   surprised,mark liked to cut up and play skits on video and stuff .mark liked rumble fish,the outsiders ,mark & i had a joke he'd holler "STELLA!" and i'd yell back "RUSTYJAMES!"

Last edited by susanm (12-04-2010 1:52am)

#19 01-22-2011 3:26pm

susanm

Black Swan

#20 02-17-2011 5:58am

Gurkov

i think i've done the old stella joke myself too, susan. smile

anyway, has anyone seen the russian movie "the return"? original title "vozvrashchenie" (had to google that, yes). pretty amazing movie. not sure why i just thought of that one, but i imagine someone here might like it.

#21 02-17-2011 8:42am

seepingthrough

Gurkov, I can't believe you! I just watched it last night, really good film...I need to watch more russian language films. The pace was a bit slow at first but then I couldn't stop watching.

Red House Painters Live Shows and Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/meolox

#22 02-18-2011 2:16am

Gurkov

seepingthrough wrote:

Gurkov, I can't believe you! I just watched it last night, really good film...I need to watch more russian language films. The pace was a bit slow at first but then I couldn't stop watching.

Haha, quite the koinkidenk! It might be a bit slow in the beginning, but not Tarkovskij-slow. And then it just gets more and more intense as it goes along. The little guy is an amazing actor, and there's some shots in there that I can never get out of my head, the cinematographer must be a genius!

Can't say I know that many Russian movies, though, 'cept for some old classics. And the newer classic 'Burnt by the Sun' of course.

#23 02-19-2011 10:56am

susanm

i've always thought russian movies would be good,photography too,we dont see alot though. it looks like a good subject, i'll check it out.how did you see it seeping though? ,rental store?,netflicks?

#24 02-19-2011 11:36pm

Charles
Website

I really like Solaris. smile

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#25 12-18-2011 11:14am

susanm

i noticed  " mark kozelek -on tour" was screening alot in argentina,and it jogged a memory ,of me telling mark ,he had to see 'the tango lesson' by sally potter. if you havent seen it, its a must see! i really liked 'on tour' the camera man did an amazing job,someone should steal him,and turn the camera to the fans.pierre2 i glad you noticed the effortlessness,and the  elegance,'tis what blew me away.

#26 12-19-2011 6:52am

Lightfoot

Arizona Dream, Jules et Jim, Ashes of Time, Zerkalo, Blade Runner, Days of Heaven, Wild Strawberries, The Sacrifice, Fitzcarraldo. To name a few.

#27 12-21-2011 2:30am

Ivanturpin

Good  thread regarding movies. I am always interested in comedy movies. I have thousands of the funny and comedy movies, But I am in search of the funniest movies ever. Please share some funny movies with me.

#28 12-21-2011 7:33am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Raising Arizona, The Jerk, Midnight Run, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Blazing Saddles, Ferris Buellers Day Off are a few off the top of my head

Last edited by Concern Charity Fundrazer (12-21-2011 7:34am)

#29 03-14-2012 4:33am

Trebor

Gozu. This film is so ludicrously weird that you'll have fun laughing at the reactions of those watching it with you...

Board footer