Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-01-2011 11:35pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

08/09/11 @ Thekla, Bristol, England (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 08-02-2011 11:19am

JRS

Re: 08/09/11 @ Thekla, Bristol, England (Mark solo)

I'm going to this one also, very excited as the Thekla is actually a converted boat, the stage is downstairs in the hull!

#3 08-09-2011 3:28pm

JRS

A fantastic gig, Mark was in a good mood. I will post more about it once I've sobered up!

#4 08-10-2011 5:00am

James

I don't have a setlist (Mark challenged one guy who he thought was from this forum taking notes but couldn't be as he had a cute girlfriend, which "didn't make any sense" - turned out he was sketching Mark) but thought it was a great show, not the best I've ever seen him but really enjoyable. No support act and a few sound issues (seriously, and as Mark said, there are two channels - a mic and a guitar. Could they not have sorted the sound out before the performance?) When Mark asked for reverb on the guitar (always a common mistake of MK's IMO) the sound guy gave him reverb on his voice too and for a couple of songs we had low feedback after every sung section. Still, it made for some funny moments - the sound guy, Mike, wandering the stage trying to reconnect Mark's guitar only for Mark to realise he'd kicked the lead out of his pedal. The 'Mike and Mark Show'.

A couple of guys down the front took a lot of banter and a simple question from another guy led to a long, awkward silence after MK asked him to repeat what he had asked 'without the lisp'. Turned out he was actually composing a mini song, while sipping his beer, about Bristol "Cobbled streets, people missing teeth ...all the rage if you're favourite colour is beige..." There was some good banter and Mark didn't seem to mind people asking for songs although he didn't really play any of them. Made the usual comments about there being a lot of dudes but thanked us for being polite and seemed in quite good spirits. Good to see him live again.

The tour themed song 'Sunshine in Chicago' was superb and I'd love for him to release it. Not sure how many performers can get away with slating their fan base to their faces - "... chicks... fuck they were cute, now I sign posters for dudes in tennis shoes ..."

Thought the newer songs sounded stunning and his guitar playing was flawless. Similar setlist to Manchester I think, Heron Blue, Third and Seneca and Glenn Tipton were highlights for me.

Last edited by James (08-10-2011 8:22am)

#5 08-10-2011 8:18am

PJINGY

Thanks for the recap James! I'm happy to hear that he is still playing that "Chicago" song. We were at the show in Chicago last month when it debuted. It was certainly a highlight, and hopefully it will appear on an upcoming album or live compilation. Cheers!

#6 08-10-2011 10:36am

JRS

The Thekla is a boat in Bristol harbour, the stage is down in the hull with viewing balconies around it, personally I love this venue having seen a few bands here in the past. Mark came out at about 2115 having been loitering around his merchandise stall. I saw him smiling and signing posters - really getting amongst his fans, a most unusual occurrence (these days!)

After coming on and commenting that there were 'a lot of dudes' in the audience and joking that one chap at the front was putting him off looking like a yob and fearing for his personal safety! Someone asked if he had enjoyed playing 'Field day' last week, Mark said no and asked if they enjoyed it? Reading the field day review it's obvious that festivals really aren't the right setting for Mark in his current one man and a nylon string guitar guise. 

Onto the setlist (which I didn't note down unfortunately), there were initial problems with the sound that seemed to take forever to sort out. Eventually, the sound guy came on stage and checked all of the wiring. Guess what? Mark had forgotten to plug something in (his end). He made a joke of this and told the sound guy off for not reminding him to check or something! Needless to say after this, the sound was spot on. 

There were at least 3 or 4 new desertshore songs played which I liked the sound of. One was about touring and the way things used to be on the road with RHP - a very amusing song with references to waking up with groupies and also how he is now playing to an audience of middle aged men wearing cords. Natural Light and Get Along Cindy were in there, nice to hear these live for the first time. He played a couple of old RHP songs; Mistress included. Here is what I can remember being played, not in any order.

Tiny Cities
Glenn Tipton
Mistress
Third and Seneca
Australian Winter
Heron Blue
Like the River
Alesund
Natural Light
Moorestown
Half Moon Bay
Trailways (I think...)
River (a particularly good version)

The in-between song banter was also all very friendly and amusing. He asked one guy why he was taking notes at the side of the stage. Turns out he sketching a drawing of Mark playing. Mark asked if he could have a copy for his guitar case. One lady asked for 'Smokey' to be played, Mark joked that she was probably not even born when he wrote that song. Then he asked her age and she said 39, doh! He then asked the audience if anyone knew the first line of the song, he would play it. No one did!

He made some remarks as usual about his fans not having girlfriends and generally being music geeks - which I find rather funny, as it's largely quite well observed. 

Overall, I would say this ranks as one of the best shows I've seen him do (perhaps the large amount of Bath Ale I consumed helped?!) 

I'm now looking forward to the Union Chapel gig tomorrow night. 

#7 08-10-2011 2:07pm

headsore_71

Enjoyed this show, it didn't live up to his Union Chapel show last year, but I never expected it to. The sound was a little quiet and the performance seemed to lack intensity but still well worth seeing. Mistress, Alesund, Get Along Home Cindy and Natural light were highlights for me.

#8 04-17-2012 11:34am

JRS

I wonder if the guys up at the front heckling Mark during this gig last year are aware that they are a subject in UK Blues from Amongst the Leaves?!

Board footer