Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-18-2012 1:38pm

beginning's eve
Website

any David Lynch fans out there?

so, by way of an appropriate Lynchian absurdity, I ended up with TWO Deluxe Vinyl copies of Chrysta Bell's beautiful debut album, This Train (produced by David Lynch).

the 180 gram/45rpm double LP vinyl features original photography & a vintage-style Real Love Motel key fob designed by David Lynch, & presents a diverse soundscape - ranging from angelic ballads, to neo-swing, to electronica, to dance, etc.

This Train was one of my favorite albums of 2011, and is a must-have for any Lynch enthusiast.

the Deluxe Vinyl is selling anywhere from $45 to $90 online...

I'm willing to sell it for $30 if anyone's interested.

http://vimeo.com/32310511

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#2 07-18-2012 3:19pm

ZoomBackCamera

Re: any David Lynch fans out there?

Neat! I met David Lynch earlier this year at his art exhibition in NYC and it was pretty terrific. His hair is just as phenomenal in real life. Sadly I am too poor to embark on the path to collecting vinyl at the moment, but good luck. I'm sure someone will nab it quickly.

#3 07-18-2012 6:07pm

Charles
Website

I've been on a huge Lynch kick ever since watching Blue Velvet in my Cinema History and Appreciation class last semester. Now to try to find a decently priced copy of Eraserhead for my collection. Sadly I don't own a turntable so vinyl is a bit useless to me. Have you heard Lynch's album, and if so is it any good?

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#4 07-18-2012 6:55pm

Kulturgam

Charles wrote:

I've been on a huge Lynch kick ever since watching Blue Velvet in my Cinema History and Appreciation class last semester. Now to try to find a decently priced copy of Eraserhead for my collection. Sadly I don't own a turntable so vinyl is a bit useless to me. Have you heard Lynch's album, and if so is it any good?

Don't know if you asked someone specifically or just put the question out there; but from what I've heard of Lynch's musical work it's not appealing at all. Sure, it's different, but that doesn't always transfer into something good. I appreciate his diversity when it comes to his career, but he should stick to what he does best.

#5 07-18-2012 9:12pm

ZoomBackCamera

I enjoyed the Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse album, which Lynch played more than one role in making. The two songs featuring him are fairly strong (the stellar production plays a big part), and the title track is almost reminiscent of the Bookhouse Boys romping around the woods of Twin Peaks.

#6 07-18-2012 9:56pm

Charles
Website

I've heard those two songs but have not heard anything off his album "Crazy Clown Time."

#7 07-23-2012 1:42pm

Gurkov

I think it's better if Lynch makes some crap music instead of just keep going through the motions with his filmmaking. Maybe Koz should try that approach instead of making a crap album as a variation to his masterpiece albums... smile

I love most of the Lynch movies, but above all, I fricking adore Twin Peaks. Just the TV series though (and the first half, at that), not Fire Walk with Me. Interesting fact, though, is that the movie was intended to be a lot more comprehensive, and also a lot longer. Not sure exactly what happened, but I guess Lynch just decided to cut it to pieces when he realized the Hollywood producers demanded a shorter movie.

#8 07-27-2012 12:23pm

beginning's eve
Website

yeah, I'm an obsessive Lynch fan!

as for his solo record - just picture the insane strangeness of his films transposed to music.

there's plenty of neo-swing & slow-drag jazz compositions, and even a few electronic tunes; all with weird vocal effects - bordering on everything from cool to unnerving!

Crazy Clown Time is nowhere near the artistry of his filmmaking, but it does have some great moments (Pinky's Dream feat. Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, I Know, Strange & Unproductive Thinking)

the Chrysta Bell album he produced, on the other hand, is amazing!

& I'm not just sayin' that cuz I wanna sell it - it's honestly a beautiful album.

for all you Twin Peaks fans, definitely check out the band Silencio.

they just released an album of original jazz tunes, all inspired by Lynch/Badalamenti compositions.

the tone is so perfect, it could easily replace the soundtrack of any Lynch film!

Charles,

I'm not sure if you're into Bluray or not, but there are some great boxsets out there including Eraserhead that are worth checkin' out!
(http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quicksea … uraymovies)

4 or 5 years ago, I was lucky enough to see a screening of Eraserhead at an indie theater in Atlanta; a classic film indeed.

ZoomBackCamera,

I was supposed to meet Lynch at the Atlanta screening of Inland Empire back in '06, but his flight was delayed, so he never made it to the showing...
got some cool memorabilia out of it tho!

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

#9 07-27-2012 4:03pm

Charles
Website

I need copies of Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, The Straight Story, and The Short Films of David Lynch and that should be everything except for a copy of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me to arrive and excluding Dune because I think it's a lousy movie (not everything I have by Lynch I like but Dune has a lot of problems).

People on this board that like the etherial end of shoegaze and / or Twin Peaks should definitely get the album "Floating Into the Night" by Julee Cruise. The music is composed by Badalamenti and the lyrics are by Lynch. There's also some nice lounge-y horns as well.

Board footer