Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 08-21-2012 9:53am

Sonograph
Website

different strings settings

hi !

i need your help, guys.

i always play lots of open tunings on several guitars. almost no problem with my jazzmaster but with the two vintage axes i own, an univox hi-flyer and a hagström h2n, it's not an easy task with several tunings. what did i do for improving them ? i went to a pro who changed the tuners, the bridge and fixed the rest, checking the neck and stuff. now it's much better... however, they're still not as good as my jazzmaster for keeping the right tone... so i've got some questions for you, open tunings lovers:

- the G string is often a real pain in the *ss. do you agree ? would you put a bigger/larger G string instead of the one coming with the whole strings package ? i currently play d'addario 0.11, most of the time.

- i heard that several guitar players have TWO different sets of strings on their guitar. have you ever tried this method ? if so, could you give me an example of how you did it, which size and where ?

thank you very much for your help and best wishes from lausanne, switzerland !

=f=

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music." - T.S. Eliot

#2 08-22-2012 12:10am

Saint Dan

Re: different strings settings

Sonograph wrote:

hi !

i need your help, guys.

- the G string is often a real pain in the *ss. do you agree ?

=f=

Boxers man myself, like Kozelek.

#3 08-22-2012 10:42am

Cruiser
Website

^ lol , that had to be done.

the G string is a pain, i used to break them all the time. haven't tried any different sets or combos though, my guitar has maybe settled down?

# there's an angel by the ocean, I miss... #

#4 08-25-2012 4:56am

Pierre21
Website

Changing tuning repeatedly is hard on a guitar because it was never meant to physically sustain it. Plus, the guitars you mentionned all have vibrato systems so when you change the tension of one string the other strings will compensate the gain or loss of tension.

Bigger string gauges won't make much difference I guess. I think they might even cause trouble, a wound G string being difficult to tune and detune again and again. 11 is already quite a strong gauge.

The two guitars you mentionned are of certainly lower quality than the Jazz (even though they're awesomely cool guitars and I'm *jealous* you've got a hi-flyer) ! That itself explains the detuning. I once saw a very good tutorial on Youtube about tuning guitars and making sure they stay in tune : one thing I learnt from it is that the length of string around the peg is crucial, as is pulling on them to get them tighly wound around the tuner as you're tuning them. Putting a tiny drop of vaseline in the nut slots and bridge slots also helps a lot if you're going to use the vibrato (and I know you are !) and change tuning.

But even with all that, my vintage Fender Mustang keeps better tuning than my vintage Univox. Because it's a much better instrument, period.

#5 08-25-2012 4:57am

Pierre21
Website

Cruiser wrote:

^ lol , that had to be done.

the G string is a pain, i used to break them all the time. haven't tried any different sets or combos though, my guitar has maybe settled down?

Same thing here. On my acoustic guitar it happened all the time when I used to change tunings. After a while it sort of stopped...

Board footer