Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 01-26-2012 9:38am

rpc9943

Seeking more "hypnotic guitar chime" music...

I've noticed the later Kozelek works have the most INCREDIBLE and minimal guitar lines that break my heart and keep it safe in the most beautiful way.
I am going to explore these kind of chime hypnotic notes in my own music, improvising in my own way, these kind of notes that do this to me, and then build songs from them.
It's interesting, because to me, most of these newer songs, it's just those guitar lines that mean anything to me, everything else fades out, and my attention is brought constantly to these sounds, it has almost become an obsession to seek out this kind of approach to playing any instrument...

Here's what I refer to:

Sun Kil Moon:

Duk Koo Kim
Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
Trucker's Atlas
Ocean Breathes Salty
Unlit Hallway
Moorestown (This is the most beautiful one to me)
Tonight in Bilbao (This CLOSELY rivals Moorestown's hypnotic guitar notes)

I haven't heard any other music that uncovers this kind of beauty. If any of you know of bands that genuinely do this kind of thing, PLEASE post on here.

Looking forward to it (if it exists)!

RonC

#2 01-28-2012 5:25pm

Seamus20

Re: Seeking more "hypnotic guitar chime" music...

Try Nick Drake's album Pink Moon if you haven't already, in particular the songs Road, From the Morning and Horn. I'd also recommend Fly from his album Bryter Layter. Hope this helps!

#3 01-29-2012 1:33am

JRS

Any early Iron and Wine albums?

Jose Gonzalez?

#4 01-29-2012 10:12pm

CDFVR

Check out Owen

#5 01-31-2012 11:06am

theriverman

early Low - try Long Division

#6 01-31-2012 7:56pm

bgwahl

I think what makes the songs you mentioned hypnotic and gives them the certain quality you are looking for are all of the open-string notes Mark uses with his tunings, which are usually non-standard to begin with.  I think you are looking for artists who use such tunings, with lots of open-string drones.  Try checking out the guitar instructor Mark Hanson ("Canyon Canon" and his instructional book and DVDs), who is amazing and who also has some beautiful compositions.  Try Kaki King ("Doing The Wrong Thing").  I would strongly suggest looking for other artist known for using alternate tunings.  Nick Drake is surely one, as mentioned before.  Elliot Smith is also amazing ("Waltz #1").  That being said, I think Mark does this style better than anyone else.

"The earth laughs beneath my heavy feet,
  at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk." 
  --Billy Corgan, "Thirty-Three"

#7 02-01-2012 9:37pm

Orangebookbag

http://music.thewidestsmilingfaces.com/ … my-ribcage (title track and when it rained)

Or try some staples of the so-called "drone folk" genre.

Six Organs of Admittance (Eight Cognition is a good example)

This thirty second gem by Jon Brion does what you're talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-301GkG … re=related

and not to mention the proto-Koz style so obvious in Jackson Browne's seminal nostalgia ballad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ

#8 02-29-2012 7:24am

rpc9943

Wow I was subscribed to this thread but didn't get updates, I've got to check out all of this, guys. THANK YOU!

I've always been afraid of alternate tunings because I'm so used to the straight EADGBE tuning, I can play with my eyes closed!

This might be pretty weird to add, but just noticed The end of the track "Obscured" on Smashing Pumpkin's "Pisces Iscariot"....  Strange to discover more of these hypnotic lines... I'm not a huge SP fan, just love how it's produced, been listening to it all.

I've got tons of tracks with these hypnotic lines now, just have to figure out what to do with them wink

I'll listen to your guys links soon thanks so much!

Last edited by rpc9943 (02-29-2012 7:30am)

#9 04-08-2012 3:18pm

rpc9943

Well I finished my new album, even though I didn't FULLY accomplish my goal... Music has it's own plans for me. Thanks for all of the links everyone, here's what came out after a lot of improvised attempts at drone/repetition stuff...

http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.c … te-healing

Take care, and if you have any more references that have this kind of circular style of music, please let me know!

RonC

#10 04-09-2012 1:52pm

g-verberation

The Clientele.

#11 09-21-2012 6:07pm

rpc9943

I just actually think I hit a sweet spot with my first track "All Shadows Fade"

Finally. smile

http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.c … cension-ep

Board footer