Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-14-2012 8:52am

lament
Site Owner
Website

07/13/12 @ Taku Taku, Kyoto, Japan (Mark solo)

Please post your reviews and setlist of the show here.

#2 07-15-2012 5:54am

Aaron

Re: 07/13/12 @ Taku Taku, Kyoto, Japan (Mark solo)

Taku Taku is a nice old club in Kyoto, and about 40 - 50 people were present at this show. Lament, please change the location for this gig from Tokyo to Kyoto -- they are 2 different cities. This mistake was originally made on the tour schedule on the markkozelek.com site.

This was Mark's first time to play in Kyoto, Japan and his second show ever in Japan outside of Tokyo. Mark seemed to be in a good mood, and played a very nice set with a a good mix of old and new material.

Some audience members traveled all the way from Tokyo to see this show (about 2.5 hours away by bullet train), and one couple even came from as far away as Okinawa (over 1,000 miles/1,600 km away)!

mktix1.jpg

Mark was playing solo with an acoustic guitar. I'm not sure what kind of a guitar it was, but maybe someone here can identify it from the photo below:

photourb.jpg

During the set Mark said he likes playing in Japan because "The food is good, the plumbing works and all the girls are beautiful".

Mark played several Red House Painters songs requested by an audience member named Akiko who was sitting in the front row. After Akiko requested Mark to play another Red House Painter song for her 2nd request Mark said, "You do know I have a new band now, don't you? Those songs you keep asking me to play are like 20 years old."

Another funny moment was during the intro to "The Moderately Talented..." when Mark stopped and said that the song reminds him of something from "The Muppets."

Setlist:
1. Trucker's Atlas
2. Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes
3. Moorsetown
4. Missed My Heart
5. Like The River
6. Elaine
7. The Moderately Talented Yet Attractive Young Woman vs. The Exceptionally Talented Yet Not So Attractive Middle Aged Man
8. Track Number 8
9. Half Moon Bay
10. Mistress
11. Carry Me Ohio (request by Akiko)
12. Katy Song (request by Akiko)
13. That Bird Has A Broken Wing
---Encore---
14. Medley: Thirteen -> Summer Dress (request by Akiko)-> Sunshine In Chicago
15. Four Fingered Fisherman

There were some CD's being sold at the show, as well as black Sun Kil Moon t-shirts. The Caldo Verde CDs are being distributed in Japan now by a company called Calentito, LLC -- I picked up the Japanese version of "Among The Leaves" which comes with some extra liner notes in Japanese.

Last edited by Aaron (09-24-2012 7:47am)

#3 07-15-2012 12:55pm

JRS

Thanks for the review and pics Aaron, can't believe people would travel 1000 miles to see Mark. That's nearly as bad as me!

#4 07-15-2012 2:18pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

Aaron wrote:

There were some CD's being sold at the show, as well as black Sun Kil Moon t-shirts. The Caldo Verde CDs are being distributed in Japan now by a company called Calentito, LLC -- I picked up the Japanese version of "Among The Leaves" which comes with some extra liner notes in Japanese.

Thanks for the review Aaron and the info on the Japanese CD.

I did some googling.. looks like the catalog number is CLTCD-2014 and it came out July 11.

http://calentitomusic.blogspot.com/2012 … eaves.html

Have any photos of the packaging and CD?  Is there an obi?

Thanks!

#5 09-24-2012 6:54am

Aaron

Here is some more information about the Japanese 2CD release of "Among the Leaves" (CLTCD-2014) manufactured and distributed by Calentito, LLC., Tokyo, Japan.

The Japanese release comes in a thinner digipak than the US release, and includes an interview with Mark Kozelek translated into Japanese. A lyric book in English is also included (maybe the same as the US release?), and the CDs are in semi-transparent vinyl sleeves inside of the digipak, similar to a record. The disc retails for 2,415 yen which is about US$31 at today's exchange rate, but was sold for slightly cheaper at the shows.

Front and back:

mkcoverfull.jpg

Interview:

mknotes.jpg

The interview was done in cooperation with a publication called Hinoter Magazine, and at the end of the interview some text in Japanese says:
"A Japanese translation of the lyrics has not been included with this release at the request of the artist."

The interview includes some questions like:

What are three major things that influenced your style on "Among the Leaves" -- for example other music, films, books, people, pets or anything else?

Women, women and women.

Do you still listen to any of the Red House Painters albums?

No, I don't listen to them at all.

Are there any musicians you would like to collaborate with?

No, no one in particular.

If someone was to make a film about you, what actor do you think would portray you best?

I'd like to ask Matt Dillon to play me.

What music are you listening to recently?

Maurice Ravel

What were your impressions of your tour of Japan 4 years ago?

My first tour of Japan was fantastic. The best part about it was that I had traveled so far away and was surrounded by a completely different culture. When I travel to other faraway places like Australia it's not like that at all. Everyone from the promoters to the fans was extremely kind, and I've always wanted to come back. I really like the food too.

Front detail with sticker:

mkcoverfront.jpg

Last edited by Aaron (09-24-2012 7:37am)

#6 09-24-2012 9:33am

lament
Site Owner
Website

Wow.. nice Aaron. Thanks for translating and posting those images!

#7 09-24-2012 9:43am

MaxRussell

Another riveting interview from Mark Kozelek!

#8 09-24-2012 10:23am

lament
Site Owner
Website

MaxRussell wrote:

Another riveting interview from Mark Kozelek!

Ha yeah my thoughts exactly.

Board footer