Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 07-12-2011 9:52am

coupdetat

What is the best MK live album?

What do you guys think it is?

Mine happens to be Lost Verses Live. I really dig the set list he chose on that one.

#2 07-12-2011 11:09am

BadSeed

Re: What is the best MK live album?

Little drummer boy is my favourite.

Wish there was one from a full band tour.

#3 07-12-2011 6:33pm

christian b

BadSeed wrote:

Wish there was one from a full band tour.

Me too.

Of the ones I've heard (3 total), Lost Verses Live is my favorite - most notably for the version of "Unlit Hallway", which for me kills the studio version.

#4 07-13-2011 1:27am

Make Like Paper 420

agreed. that opening track on 'lost verses' pretty much makes the album for me. what a tear jerker!

i must admit to finding 'ruben olivares' a pretty poor release. its more like a bad bootleg than something that should out there in circulation.

i also 'little drummer boy' pretty damn fine too and have been enjoying the new one.

cool thread.

#5 07-13-2011 6:49am

JRS

Here is my list in current order of preference:

1. Live at Union Chapel
2. Little Drummer Boy
3. Lost Verses Live
4. Ruben Olivares
5. Seven Songs Belfast
6. White Christmas Live

#6 07-13-2011 6:49am

sangeronimo

I love 'Ruben Olivares'!! The sound isn't great but it's probably my favorite selection of live Mark songs.

'Little Drummer Boy' has to be the one I listen to the most though.

Last edited by sangeronimo (07-13-2011 6:49am)

#7 07-13-2011 9:58am

Pierre21
Website

My favorite is by far White Christmas Live because it's the first one that came out. I bought it at the time, and found it great. I liked hearing some of my favorite songs played so stripped down.

I haven't heard the last one yet but every new live record since has sounded like a weaker re-hashing of this one instance. I do like Seven Song Belfast though because it's short, it's got San Geronimo on it, and it contains a very good version of Gentle Moon.

#8 07-13-2011 6:53pm

coupdetat

Yeah, I agree. The versions of San Geronimo and Gentle Moon on Belfast are mind blowing. I was in Texas a couple years ago and saw Mark play and he played that version of Gentle Moon and my jaw dropped. I was with some people that I dragged to the show that night and I could tell that they weren't really into Mark's music, but I could see their facial expressions change when he started playing Gentle Moon. I kept hoping he would release a similar live version and a couple months later he did. Definitely my favorite live song that he's put on a disc.

Favorite other live songs:

Cruiser from White Christmas
Drop from the Nights LP
Carry Me Ohio from Lost Verses Live
Lost Verses from Lost Verses Live
Moorestown from Little Drummer Boy (I actually like all versions of that song, but that version because it was the first time I heard it. And also, because after that cd got released that song was rolling around in my head during a road trip to PA with a friend and we actually passed by the exit for Moorestown, NJ. Thought it was kind of coincidental)

#9 10-08-2012 4:15am

DaveC

I'm loving Lost Verses live and Union Chapel.

Little Drummer Boy is good but the second disc doesn't do a lot for me. Belfast is great for the song choices and a version of Tonight In Bilbao from a show I was at. Enjoying Lincoln Hall and looking forward to Copenhagen.

Board footer